Sign in to follow this  
slateral

Mk 1 BSA Meteor Tuning

:confused: I'm refurbishing my old Meteor and have the spares from Mr. Knibbs - Titan Spring, leather washer, buffer, breech seal, SM50, Dri-Slide and I've got some old motorcycle chain wax (thanks for the tip Rob M). My aim is to quieten the gun down and I've read a lot in the forums about Spring Guide to Spring sizing.

However, the new spring is an even sloppier fit on the spring guide than the old spring and I want to tighten that fit up.

I see the guide is split down one side, so would it be worth trying to ease it out for a tighter fit or would the point contact on the spring that might result be detrimental?

I could try making a new guide from a bolt but I don't have a drill press or a lathe so I'm not sure of my ability to drill the centre out satisfactorily. ( I might give it a go though :D )

So any tips or ideas on how I can get a tighter fit - and will it make a lot of difference to the noise levels, anyway? :)

The best way is to make a new spring guide is on a lathe, if you can, or if you know someone with a lathe. Before I got my lathe, I made a pretty good spring guide for a BSA Scorpion from a big bolt (Land Rover rear spring mounting bolt) by cutting it to length with a hacksaw, then grinding the head away on a bench grinder to fit the cross-pin, also had to widen the centre hole of a suitable washer to fit the new guide. For a rifle the weight is not so much of an issue, you probably won't notice whether the bolt has been drilled all the way down the middle or not, however, there is a raised part on the crosspin that has to seat in the back of the guide so you will need to drill a small hole to accommodate that.

I was lucky to find a bolt that was just the right size... If you know someone with a lathe though, they should be able to turn a spring guide pretty easily for you. The spring should be a fairly snug fit on the guide, able to be pushed on and slid along it under reasonable hand pressure. If the spring grips the guide too much or needs a hard pull to be got off, it is slghtly too big. the Spring will loosen slightly after you have polished the guide up a bit with some fine wet-and-dry, and of course, lubrication will remove almost all the friction anyway. You need to use some sort of depth gauge to measure from the forward edge of the cross-pin hole to the back of the the head of the piston, when it's in the cocked position, this gives you the maximum length of the shaft part of the guide.

Scorpion Refurb

There should be some info in there that will be useful... Your Meteor spring may well be bigger than my Scorpion one, so check before ripping the nearest Land Rover apart! ;)

Edited by Rob M

Right - I'm off to the scrappy to see what I can dig up!

Many thanks!

A nice Synthetic spring guide would be a nice option for your gun, easy to make and friction free, self lubricating too. :qq:

The spring you mention is a very good option for your gun; in fact I have just fitted the same spring but in fac to the hw80. :wub:

What you need is one of these.

cimg0344zv0.th.jpg

Theres my little baby, touching around 25 lbs believe it or not.

All in all tip top. :thumb:

Replay

:sign_respect1:

Edited by Replay

I haven't had any success at the scrapyard yet :mellow: . Can you recommend someone who provides synthetic guides matched to your spring? - I might try that route if I have no success with bolts. ( I read there was Dave Lilley who used to do that, but if I read the threads right he packed it up)

cheers!

Appreciate the thought. :thumb:

I'll be going to see my mum in Wales in a week or two - with any luck there'll be a suitable bolt in my late father's workshop - wish mum hadn't sold his lathe!! :asad: