Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ghost Maker

Air arms S200 wather barrel

Guest Ghost Maker

I love my new s200 and i want to improve accuracy and personalise it some i thought a nice nickle finish match barrel would do the trick but idont know how much i should pay or who to ask. :sign_help:

hello mate . the barrel on you S200 IS a match barrel it accounts for about £75 of the rifle . why not have it nickel plated ??? HOLLY PS that is the same barrel they put on the early EV2s

that is the same barrel they put on the early EV2s

How do you find out such things!

through the font of all knowledge " cliff church " ken turner lurks at bisley don't forget ??? HOLLY

I'll vouch for Holly. Being a thoroughbred British company, Air Arms deemed it to make more sense costwise to use the same barrel across all their guns. And indeed it is. Although, I do believe they buy in the barrels for the EV2 MKII, feel free to correct as applicable...

Constantine

The sad bit is that after a while with the EV they having got a good rep for acuracy . they went over to a cheaper £35 jobbie which was alright but not as good as the check job . same thing happens with scopes . they start off good and get the rep , then the standard drops .the later 20+50 lupes are not as good as the early ones that nick brought in ( luckily i have an early one ) but that's life ??? HOLLY

Edited by holly

Hope I'm not stepping on any toes... but I think I know of a brand new never fitted L-W match honed barrel for an S200 for sale. Bought for an abandoned project. I think he wanted about £90 but am not entirely sure. Let me know if you are interested and I'll find out.

Guest NeilM

The EV mk1 had the CZ barrel (the S200 is a CZ rifle from end to end). However, right from the start they were getting a very high rejection rate. I'm not sure why they were rejecting them, but I know it was fact, as I spoke to the factory about it.

Like most other companies, they have been buying barrels from Lothar Walther for years. Walther were very disappointed when the EV came out with the CZ barrel (which I personally rate), SO, more or less since the EV mk1 came out, AirArms have been messing about with various Walther barrels until the settled on the spec they are now using in the EV2 mk2.

That is the story as far as I know it.

As for the S200 barrel. Do what Holly says and have it polished then nickel plated, it will look very cool ( in my humble opinion).

I think some of the very earliest EV2s had polygonal barrels.

Guest NeilM

Did they??? I never saw any of those.

Mind you, the first few pre-production models were not sold, they were issued to people associated with it's development, like Ken Turner and a number of long term Air Arms folk.

I had one of the very early production EV's and it definitely had a CZ barrel.

Guest Ghost Maker
:cheers: Thanks to all that have replied to my question is there anything i can do to improve the accuracy/concistancy of it exctept regulating it as this uses to much room in the cylinder up :cheers:

Guest NeilM

I don't know about tuning the 200 for better consistency, I have never had one in bits, but I have never found the accuracy to be an issue. My son used to be able to break one inch chalk discs at 60 yards with his .22 S200 easy...........little GIT!

If you need more stability from the gun, then a stock change and some extra weight will help. If the gun is not too old, then give the barrel a really thorough clean, and I mean really clean it with rods and jags, oil and bore cleaner until the jags come out spotless. Then oil the barrel normally and expect things to be a bit iffy for the first 20 to 30 shots and then it should come on song.

Edited by NeilM

One of the most difficult things to do with the S200 is actually to accept the limitation that the small reservoir brings. My wife has one, and it gets filled to 170 bar and no more. It is straight away on song spitting out JSBs at 765 to 778 feet per second for 35 shots.

Adding another 10 bar to the fill just gives half a dozen or so shots that go low. Trying to squeeze another ten shots when it's really wanting a top up, results in more low strikes.

i think neil m is close to your problem. from your posts you tend to imply that the gun is not as accurate as you woulld expect. if so do as neil says and clean the barrel to start. then try different pellet brands and experiment with lubing them too. just because the gun says air arms on the side doesnt mean its shoots their pellets best. i have shot these guns and they are just as accurate as anything else air arms produces only smaller. from your title i gather youre a hunter? are you shooting .22 or .177? ive only shot with .177 s200. are you trying to obtain groups with pointed pellets? this wont happen as youll need a pellet with better stability and flight characteristics. i gave up hunting a decade ago and pointed pellets then were rubbish. i used h&n field for rabbit and pigeon and h&n hollowpoint for short range ratting but like i say that was nearly ten years ago and i stand to be corrected on my opinion of pointed pellets. if after experimenting with different pellets and cleaning/lubing there is the rare possibility that your barrel is duff. if so then its time for that nickel plated barrel you wanted in the first place!! lol. if you go down that road then perhaps a good barrel blank can be machined by any of the budding gunsmiths that post on here but i dont know where to get the plating done but a bloke called dc on here is right into his polishing/plating and will help for sure.

luck

dop

Guest Ghost Maker

X

Hi dop,

A hunter yes i am and proud of it, nothing like a fresh bunny in the pot or a pigeon curry :cheers: .22 is the caliber i use but i only shoot with bisley long range gold and aa field target as the gun does seem to be quite pellet fussy and (unfortunatly has expensive taste) these showed best results out of all that ive tried. Like you i feel that pointed pellets are just not accurate enough for me also i dont have trouble getting penetration so why use them ?. Me want nickel must have nickel my precious my shiney. LOL

Thanks for all your input guys

mucho grassy ass

:cheers:

Oops - the barrel I mentioned above is .177. I always forget that there are other calibres :unsure:

Talking about DC . he has for sale the poshest rifle you are ever gonna see it is a nickle and and gold plated RN10 ??? HOLLY

I'll ask ??? HOLLY