Sign in to follow this  
Guest RogerE

tx 200 mk 3 spring kit

Guest RogerE

hi

my mate wants to change his spring which is still the original. He is wondering wheather its worth doing the piston rings as well as AA do a full kit for just under £30. The gun is still doing 11 ft lbs.

My guess is that there is no need to replace the rings, breech seals etc with every spring change, maybe every other would be of more use. Any ideas as to how long these delrin piston rings last in comparison to a spring? Does it make sence to do the lot every time or would that be a waste of money, and would need a new running in period to get the rings worn in.

Thanks.

Working on the basis of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", I'd tend to agree with you there, Roger.

The AA kit provides a spring, front and rear guides, piston washer, two delrin washers (bearings), two 'O' rings (breech seal), oil and grease for about £28. I have a kit beside me as I type and can confirm that there is a tiny bit of moulding 'flash' visible from the injection moulding of the delrin bearings which, when I eventually use 'em, will have to be removed carefully with a sharp knife.

If the rifle's not seriously down on power, then your friend may be able to restore it for virtually no cost.

If he strips and re-lubes it, using all the original components, but on reassembly he inserts a washer between the rear spring guide and the spring, he may well find that its power is back to normal. He should be able to 'tune' the output power up a little by using one, two or three washers (any more than three would tend to indicate a knackered spring) or down by grinding off a coil or two of the spring. AA recommend a 'shooting in' of at least 50 shots before power output begins to stabilise.

I found very little pre-tension in my TX200SR spring, by the way, but the usual cautions apply when removing the trigger/end block assembly for the first time.

Guest RogerE

Many thanks Dave. The washers you refer to, can you buy them for the job or just find a suitable size from somewhere. Which are better to use, nylon or steel?

Thanks.

Steel washers. Take the rear spring guide into an ironmongers/hardware shop (or even B&Q if you want to buy a bagful of 'em). Get washers that are a decent sliding fit on the guide and don't overhang the outer edges of the stop affixed to the back of the guide.

Guest TeamZ2

On stripping my mkIII Hunter Carbine, I found removing the piston weight had little or no effect on the power, but greatly reduced the felt recoil. I've since been experimenting with Aluminium alloy pistons and Venom F1 springs, the difference is incredible. Anybody interested in these mods, drop me a line!