Sign in to follow this  
Guest neil_j1983

10m target rifle recommendations

Guest neil_j1983

hi,

been browsing as a silent member for a few days. I've just recently joined the local indoor range. I've been using the clubs pistols (gamo compact) and rifles (think it was a walther LG).

I'd really like to purchase my own gun. I am looking for a suitable 10m target rifle. I have been looking around and i like the look of the fwb 300s, and the air arms s200t. Are these guns reasonable for what i want them for, or am i completely off target?

the s200t looks nice but it is labelled as if for the slighter built shooter, would there be problems in using it as i am not exactly slightly built (6' 2" and lets say on the wrong side of 16 stone!).

To make things worse i am left handed and it would be great if i could find an ambidextrous gun as my younger sibling is just getting into shooting as well, and i thought it would be nice if we didnt have to shell out for seperate guns at this early stage.

Regards,

Neil

p.s. been looking at the weirauch hw77 and like the look of them, anything against them for 10m, too powerful? no diopers available?

Edited by neil_j1983

Honestly, having just started the club properly last year, I can say I've been through my lot with 10m budget air rifles.

I'll save you the waffle and get to the meat.

The best you can buy is a Baikal MP 572. PCP, extraordinarily accurate and a good piece of kit for the price. Not sure of the price, as never found one for sale, got ours in a swap. Baikals other PCPs are fantastic too, but this is the one I'd recommend.

Very close second best is the Baikal IZH 60. Sidelever spring, it's got recoil from it, but is cheap, and blindingly accurate. The position of the spring chamber makes it very easy to control.

A third, but almost second is the Crosman Challenger 2000, which is CO2, 6ft/lbs rifle. You can quite happily walk into a competition with this rifle, with zero recoil and a good, clean action.

Not 100% on prices, but I'd reckon the IZH would be the cheapest. I'd recommend buying the Challenger though, just because it's far easier to get hold of. It's not a coincidence I rate Baikal so high. They are the BEST value for money in the airgun world. If you don't believe me, look at their IZH 46m compared to the equivalent FWB. And the Baikal shoots better.

Constantine

hi,

been browsing as a silent member for a few days. I've just recently joined the local indoor range. I've been using the clubs pistols (gamo compact) and rifles (think it was a walther LG).

I'd really like to purchase my own gun. I am looking for a suitable 10m target rifle. I have been looking around and i like the look of the fwb 300s, and the air arms s200t. Are these guns reasonable for what i want them for, or am i completely off target?

the s200t looks nice but it is labelled as if for the slighter built shooter, would there be problems in using it as i am not exactly slightly built (6' 2" and lets say on the wrong side of 16 stone!).

To make things worse i am left handed and it would be great if i could find an ambidextrous gun as my younger sibling is just getting into shooting as well, and i thought it would be nice if we didnt have to shell out for seperate guns at this early stage.

Regards,

Neil

p.s. been looking at the weirauch hw77 and like the look of them, anything against them for 10m, too powerful? no diopers available?

are you shooting at parkstone indoor...? (just wondered)

havent any experience of the previous recommendations, nor have I seen on for sale...but FWB 300S or FWB 600 series FWB's can be had from £ 150-300.

the 300 is a spring gun with a sliding ledge to almost eliminate recoil, the 600 is a single stroke pnuematic as per the walther LGR. The 300 is capable as much as you are to a certain extent, I could break 500 ex 600 with one when I had one. To put that into perspective, with my anschutz 2002 I'm only nudging 540 now and then.

As your tall I would say (having owned one) that the s200 is too small and light...and the 77 is not a 10m designed gun.

there's an anschutz 8002 for sale 2nd hand on the airgunbbs for £ 650 in portsmouth if you fancy jumping in a bit deeper. I would say your unlikely to lose money (well not a great deal at worst) on a 2nd hand 300-600 or on the 8002...

Guest neil_j1983

thanks very much for the replies above.

I'm shooting at the Dorchester range.

you've both given me a fair bit to think about. will now go off and scurry around and see what i can find.

on side note. any recommended stores in the Poole area?, the closest one to me (which has a fair bit of stock) is up by the clay pigeon.

just found out there is a club member with a 600 for sale (not sure if its a 601,2 or 3)...£ 350.

we have a 300SU as a club gun, just recently purchased, so if your down these necks of the woods one monday, pop in :)

Edited by robF

Try and find a FWB601/2/3 but avoid the 600. The 601 onwards has a number of modifications incorporated from FWB experience with the 600 and the result was a much better gun. The FWB 300 is fine, but there is better to be had and they really are getting a bit long in the tooth these days.

If you are offered an Anschutz 250 then think very carefully. These have a hydraulic damping mechanism and if the dampers start to leak oil it becomes a bit of a problem. In addition the seals are not the easiest to change.

However I note that you are left handed and this may limit your choice somewhat. There are some newer rifles that are ambidextrous, the Hammerli AR50 with the wood stock is one example.

The Crossman Challenger and the Air Arms S200 are really "starter" rifles. Excellent club rifles for juniors but not really competitive 10 mtr equipment. In addition, the Air Arms trigger as delivered leaves a lot to be desired and does need work done on it to make it acceptable.

As RobF said, the Anschutz 8002 would be a good buy, but make sure that the price includes sights! You would also have to factor in a LH pistol grip and cheekpiece to make it suitable for you.

Good shooting, good luck,

Rutty

Guest neil_j1983

thanks for the tips, and i really would like to get something like the 8002. it's out of my price range though :( (i can only stretch to £300 at the moment)

the fwb 600 sounds about the right price/quality I can go for.

robF, could you perhaps find out a little more about the 600 which is for sale, how old, etc? (edit - just remembered!, being left handed this is probably not a suitable gun)

to reiterate, the comments have been fantastically helpful.

Edited by neil_j1983

Guest Karaokeb

Hi,

Might be beneficial to contact Steve of city airweapons birmingham tele 01217421329 to see what weapons they have in stock they normally have a stock of serviced s/h match air guns. Also Steve has a lot of info to impart having been in the national squad using a FWB 300 some years ago. He may also be able to point you in the right direction as to your requirement for a left handed gun.

Hope this helps

Regards

Karaokeb

Guest neil_j1983

been offered a fwb 300s today which is in 'superb' condition and the guy was asking for £350 for it. sounded a little steep?

anyone tried using a right hand one left handed?

Guest Karaokeb

Hi Neil,

£350.00 in my view is too much I got one for £180 delivered which was in excellent condition. Wouild say that you would get one from City Air Guns Birmingham depending on condition for £200 to £250. Regarding shooting right handed I am left eyed so always used to shoot left handed but did most other things right handed. I am now shooting target right handed with an eye patch etc and it has not made much diifference once I got the position correct but that is with deliberate shooting at a static target etc. If I shooting a moving target ie clay targets I have to shoot left handed as the sight in my right eye will not work fast enough to locate and follow the clay.

Hope this helps

Karaokeb

£ 350 sounds very steep...i sold my mint boxed 300su for £250 with all the accessories etc.

On the other point...eye and hand are not linked, and nor should one assume they are....left eye dominance does not mean a left handed shooter. In fact, something daft like 8/10 target shooters at my club are left eye dominant...and all of the shoot right eye ( actually, that might not be true because I dont know about the pistol shooters...but all the rifle ones do...including me !)

Using a blind helps...and after a while you get used to it...yes my left is still a lot better than my right, but I don't have the ability to shoot naturally left handed.

If you get really stuck, you can use offset or mirror tunnel sights which allow you to use the left eye, but shoot righthanded....if you cant, then it needs to be consistant...but this is the only catch as far as i can see.

£ 350 sounds very steep...i sold my mint boxed 300su for £250 with all the accessories etc.

I concur with Karaokeb and RobF about the price, you would be able to find a FWB300 for considerably less than £350.

As far a shooting left handed with it goes, the fact that the cocking lever is on the right presents little problem but it is the profile of the cheekpiece and the pistol grip that matters. Both must be ambidextrous or left handed for you to be able to shoot left handed with any degree of success. It is essential that you are able to drop your head into position so that your eye is directly behind the rearsight and that your left hand rests comfortably on the pistol grip allowing a natural reach to the trigger.

I cannot recall the profile of the pistol grips on the FWBs I have owned, but the cheekpieces were not symmetrical and were suitable for right handed shooters only. Having said that, a fixed cheekpiece could be reshaped to accomodate you or if it was adjustable you could construct a new cheekpiece to fix on the existing mounting plate. Pistol grips present more of a problem however. If they are right handed wood will have been removed to accomodate the hand on that side. To make it fit a left hand would entail removing wood from the opposite side and making the stock very much thinner in that area. You now run the risk of the stock becoming dangerously weak in what is already its weakest area. Put the butt on the bench a bit firmly as you cock it and you might have to finish the match with a rather large air pistol!

Rutty

Guest neil_j1983

Rutty, Rob and Karaokeb.

Your advice has been great. I have not gone for the £350 rifle. I have found a left handed 300s in portsmouth for £215 delivered. It may not be mint, but its within my price range, and should keep me going for a while!

On a side note, my younger brother, has seen the qb78 and it seems like it would be ok, he's right handed (git!) and would like something cheapish, is this a reasonable rifle to start out with, or is it just a waste of money. i can see that it could be £90 of rubbish, but thought i'd seek an opinion before writing it off.

dont know about the other gun, but it sounds like you got a nice deal there...enjoy the shooting.

It's a fairly common problem as you can imagine to have the cocking lever on the right hand side on a LH gun.

I teach people to turn the gun upside down, and cock it like that. A simple solution, it works for everyone I've taught.

Constantine

Guest neil_j1983

Just to update everyone. I ended up buying 2 fwb 300s, one from a forum member here. and one from portsmouth gun centre.

the one from these forums is excellent, throroughly enjoyed shooting it tonight.

the one from portsmouth gun centre is atrocious. I got it sent through to a local RFD, it arrived, the sight is loose, the trigger is loose (could be needing adjustment) but the worst bit is the power. Something is seriously wrong with the gun. The sights have to be aligned to the maximum adjustment just to get the pellet on the target, any lower and it drops off below the target.

any advice on what should be done. i dont expect a £200 gun from a gun store to not even fire a pellet 10m! i can throw it further!

Edited by neil_j1983

chrono it first...

then see what city air weapons think could be the cause, and perhaps approach the original gun shop with the verdict.