Sign in to follow this  
Guest olliej

what is a good 10m group size

Guest olliej

Am new to air rifle target shooting and have only fired about 50 pellets so far.

Have just go my scope zeroed at 10m and have had a go at some 5 shot groupings.

The first, using Umrex pellets was appauling - 65mm!!!

The second using RWS Geco's came in at 26mm - alot better

The question I have is what is considered a good group size at this distance (10m/11 yards)

Generally, groups are scored rather than measured. Using a standard NSRA target, we gauge peoples scores at the club thusly;

-After the first couple of sessions, our amateurs group 30-50 ex100

-After about 8-12 sessions (8 sessions = 1 month), they group 50-70 ex100

-After about 3 months they're scoring 80-85, at which point we can leave them alone to practise with little guidance.

-The top 3 in our club score between 94-98 consistently.

The problems come when they try to shoot for longer, as the hard part is training to stamina and consistency.

Generally, off the bench, I'd expect to get single ragged hole groups with a selected pellet, before I use it in practice.

ATB,

Constantine

Guest olliej

Thanks for the reply,

Can you expalin this a bit more. I am used to shooting in the services where we measure the distance between the furthest shots. I take it you mean a number of shots that are landing in a certain area?

Guest CLABBY

bassicly you are trying to hit the same spot giving you the best score or max score out of so many pellets a good grouping for most at 10 meters i wood say is about 1/4 inch 1/2 to 1 inch at 30yrd for a springer is reasonable

Clabby's got it spot on for measurements. Good shooting IMHO is a single ragged hole with maybe a couple of flyers not too far off.

C

Guest CLABBY
Clabby's got it spot on for measurements. Good shooting IMHO is a single ragged hole with maybe a couple of flyers not too far off.

C

you are talking a average pcp or top end springer for a single "ragged" hole and that still takes some doing have to have the rite breathing tekneque and have the gun bench rested prety much

10m benched, there should be one hole.

over 5.5 mm groups and a national coach told me that you should be looking at different ammo...or the gun isn't up to it, but as we were talking match german 10m guns, that's taken as a given.

at 10m standing, the top shots are grouping inside 10mm.

Constantine's method revolves around the 10 dot being a mm and the pellet 4.5mm, so a top shot is not hitting that mm mark with just 2 out of 10 shots.

This is off the knee at 25m, 1 shot to start, 5 shots to follow, with a spring gun.

group.jpg

Constantine's post means i have to buck my ideas up, considering i've been doing 10m for 2 years and only break 270 ex 300 on very good days. Might need some silly shoes and trousers :D

Haha, no chance rob!

As I mentioned before, that's ex100, pretty much all bar 2 of the members tail off horribly after that. The first 10 shots are the easiest IMHO.

I should probably take the opportunity to mention we practice on PISTOL targets... :unsure: The scoring rings are considerably bigger...

Sorry :D

Constantine

PS At the same time, my best 2 shooters CAN hit 95-97 ex100, 92+ consistently on a rifle target :D

-EDIT-

PPS I abhor shooting apparel, they can use it if they want, but nothing more than a sling and mat for prone in my club ;) I DO tell them to always bring flat soled trainers though.

Edited by Constantine

phew ! :D :D :D

This shooter consistently scores over 590 on pistol size targets and has a personal best of 594:

2663857352_b4b3453d6c.jpg

But he is totally blind!

:sign_respect1: ?

Rutty

:sign_respect1: For sure.

They use a scope sensitive to light, and the bull has a laser dot on it. when they're on the bull their scope emits a sound through the headphones he's wearing. I believe it gets quieter/louder the closer to the bull they are, but I've heard tell it's also done with a change in tone.

Am I right in thinking there's other ways of doing it? Like maybe an ultrasonic bull? Whatever it is, it's still amazing, to get scores like that without the infinite precision of a diopter.

Constantine

They use a scope sensitive to light, and the bull has a laser dot on it. when they're on the bull their scope emits a sound through the headphones he's wearing. I believe it gets quieter/louder the closer to the bull they are, but I've heard tell it's also done with a change in tone

I think it might help if you read about blind shooting on the British Blind Sport Website.

Rutty

Well chaps I still shoot posses on Air Pistol targets with my air pistol. !0 Meter is VERY hard air rifle discapline if you use the right targets, and needs all those silly shoes and jackets if you really are going to be serious about this- - - plus loads of practise. Try cheap and cheerful Vogel pellets if they are available.

Expensive pellets all to the same fraction of a gram are a waste of money -- - - I did the research many years ago.

I`m an old shooter that has represented my country on many occassions and practise is the answer to loads of problems

Best

JJ

:doh:

Bit off the mark there, really...

C

Well chaps I still shoot posses on Air Pistol targets with my air pistol. !0 Meter is VERY hard air rifle discapline if you use the right targets, and needs all those silly shoes and jackets if you really are going to be serious about this- - - plus loads of practise. Try cheap and cheerful Vogel pellets if they are available.

Expensive pellets all to the same fraction of a gram are a waste of money -- - - I did the research many years ago.

I`m an old shooter that has represented my country on many occassions and practise is the answer to loads of problems

Best

JJ

well i guess it doesn't matter what you put through the gun as long as it performs...

Guest Alexx

Hi using a scoped rifle at 10m you should group sub 5p coin

Hi using a scoped rifle at 10m you should group sub 5p coin

You don't use scopes at 10m. You use diopter sights.

Can you actually see the target through a scope at 10m? Do you group sub 5p with your scoped rifle at 10m?

Grumpy and ill,

Constantine

You don't use scopes at 10m. You use diopter sights.

You may not for the 10m discipline but the OPs question was most certainly about shooting groups at 10m with a scoped rifle. Perhaps it's you that has misread the OP. :awink:

My sincerest apologies Alexx,

Constantine