Sign in to follow this  
holly

Right , now there is gonna be a row ?

Ladies and gentlemen . i think it might be a good time to introduce a new look regionals . as it stands the reality is that only two of the regions can win it . with the rest flogging thenselves to death for third . am i right . so how about a formulae . such as . 5 AAs . 5As . and 5 Bs. . this may or may not have the effect i expect . i dunno . but it would not hurt to try it ??? HOLLY

How about 5 from NE and 5 from Midlands that didnt make the top 15 to shoot for you :escape: .

Hehehe, Jon. :D

Do I hear the rest of the world saying that about the worlds? :D

On a serious note, I liked the way that having the field made from teams and the open made the british masters an even stiffer competition, and well attended... dunno, food for thought?

The NEFTA team was made up of 3 or 4 people who were experiencing the Inters for the first time and the same number who had 1 years experience. The rest of the team has 3+ years. In 2005, 2006 and 2007 we also had a junior shooter make the team.

We had a mix of AA and A grade shooters take part.

We do try and order the team on the day to make the most of the team - anchor man Calpin is worth his weight in gold :)

It's not as if we bring the same mega team every year and I think the results this year show that the gap between the regions is getting closer.

If it was still to be the top ten scores to count then it might just be the 5 B graders that get dropped.

Include 5 B graders in the team and then make 2 or 3 of their scores compulsory in the count, how about that for a variation.

Fair point Dop, the issue is also making sure that all the "minor" regions continue to want to take part. When you get a drubbing every year it's not always easy to keep spirits lifted and this isn't the only event in the calendar, there's plenty more to do if a region gave this one a miss.

If you start limiting teams to so many shooters from each class then how are you going to ensure ringers don't get included in the lower grades, over the last few years it has been seen that some regions run different grades to the rest, some forward their Winter League scores to the BFTA some don't. It would be too easy for a region to create the perfect team, let's leave it where the best shots win.....period.

To me it looks like Nefta can be beaten, so why not Mfta.

Considering it's a hard task, i think changing the rules would dilute the feat if if a win was achieved.

I think Csfta's target will be to not let sefta get any clever ideas about getting another 3rd place next year ;)

ROB . we do not want third . WE WANT FIRST ??? HOLLY PS all 15 scores to count

i think the other teams need to get practicing. the northerners beat us because theyre better shots so why handicap them so we can win?

cheers

dop

You still having a problem telling Northerners from Midlanders Dopper? :atounge:

Guest davros

Anything north of the Watford Gap is classified as a northerner by Dop - and we are all either miners or plumbers ;-)

Lee

Edited by davros

More competition the better for all, without winners there are no losers.

Just shows how far you have to progress and totally agree with Pete about the grading, whats more the present grading is too easy to fiddle any way should the individual feel the need.

By the way some cities up here have running water and electricity

To me it looks like Nefta can be beaten, so why not Mfta.

Considering it's a hard task, i think changing the rules would dilute the feat if if a win was achieved.

I think Csfta's target will be to not let sefta get any clever ideas about getting another 3rd place next year ;)

NEFTA have to let the Midland girls win every other year otherwise they get all weepy and upset :)

Dave.

By the way some cities up here have running water and electricity

Yeh, I heard about those leccy eels escaping in the floods ! :D

I know, I know, the Hovis advert was filmed in Shaftesbury in Dorset... but they needed the ad in colour :D

Guest Martz
NEFTA have to let the Midland girls win every other year otherwise they get all weepy and upset :)

Dave.

Don't worry Dave, i should be there next year :atounge:

My shooting won't help, but by taking all the NEFTA banter, you can concentrate on the shooting rather than thinking of new way to take the mick :D

My shooting won't help, but by taking all the NEFTA banter, you can concentrate on the shooting rather than thinking of new way to take the mick :D

Hurray - the old boys are coming back to the fold - I have heard that Shaun Goff may also make an appearance as well. The other regions should start practicing now :)

Dave.

you can't have her back ! I've only just done the ranges on her...!

you can't have her back ! I've only just done the ranges on her...!

Don't worry Rob he doesn't want her back, he prefers to humiliate people by kicking their asses with his Pink springer

Guest Martz
Don't worry Rob he doesn't want her back, he prefers to humiliate people by kicking their asses with his Pink springer

That and the fact that i'll only have the money for a Gat gun!

You can't go changing the rules so that the best teams don't win!

Midlands and NEFTA have so many good shooters that if they both stuck two teams in they would probably take the top 4 places, or at least 4 of the top 5.

I go every year I can and do the best I can for my region, if I only went to comps I thought I'd win I wouldn't get out much!

You would not get out at ALL simon ? this is not the point . winning or losing is not what it is about . what it is about is getting the rank and file shooters out onto a competition field and blooding them so as they get a feel of what top flight competition is about . after all if you go to motor racing they give everyone the same tyres to level the playing field and make the competition better all around . gives everyone a chance ( even SWEFTA ) if you do not have enough AAs, As, Bs. you could upgrade shooter ( but not down ) imagine the sweaty palms of the B graders turning up who will know it all depends on them ( cos all 15 shooters count ) yep i reckon it could work ??? HOLLY PS also it would have an effect on the winter league as well cos they would be fighting for position in ALL the grades not just AA .

Edited by holly

imho, It wouldn't be fair to penalise the nefta and mfta for being consistently good.

these 2 regions probably do more than other regions to nurture shooting talent, which shows by the strong team performances year in year out.

It's up to the other regions to rise to the standard, not to whine about being also rans and then try and get rules adjusted to suit.

winning or losing is not what it is about .

they get a feel of what top flight competition is about .

Isn't winning and losing EXACTLY what top flight competition is all about ??

Alan.

I can see the argument from both sides... probably because we came 3rd last year, and 4th this year :D

If you don't get one mob because it's too hard, you won't get the other mob when it's too easy !

I like to see new shooters in the teams, being in the team is a nice reward, shouldn't be seen as a trial.

We had to look for some replacements this year as some of the original team couldn't make the new date. It wasn't easy to find volunteers once you move outside AA and A grade.

Shooting for a team brings a lot more pressure to a shooter than any other type of comp. Most of the B and C graders in NEFTA probably haven't ever seen a GP course.

Dave

Another aspect is that someone who is say 16th best in their region doesn't get to go. That person might just benefit hugely from the opportunity. It's all very well saying, shoot better and you'll earn a place, but if the region happens to have 15 excellent shots at the time, well it's not your fault is it? This is one of very few sports where you alone are in charge of your own results, apart from the showdown you're not competing one on one with another person.

We had the same situation as Hotshot. Once the date was changed to the Saturday that meant several of our intended squad couldn't go. Consequently we had to throw it open to lower grades, and only had a 12 squad. Although our finishing place was in the lower half, I'm really pleased that one or two folk had the opportunity and the experience. As one said to me afterwards, it's not every day you get to go round the course with an ex-ladies champion.

Guest TeamZ

Isnt this competition (like all of them should be) about having some fun. Surely the regions vote on how to put a team together, and if it be the top 15 from the winter league in order to reward those who have put in the effort and travelled then so be it, or, if its a random team to help encourage the lower grade shooters then that is good too.

At the end of the day its not really about the winning, it's about the taking part. In our region (MFTA) the winter league is based and geared around enjoyment whilst at the same time encouraging shooters to get into the top 15 for the team. You would be surprised how difficult it is to get into our team but every shooter I know in the midlands has it as a dream.

If you look at our teams that last 4 or 5 shooters does change from year to year, clearly demonstrating that our method works as a very good incentive of getting shooters involved and encouraged.

Come on chaps, dont change the rules to suit, change your attitude towards it.

Cheers

Chris

I fully agree it all about having some fun, but the very fact that team places are treasured as you say, and not just in your region, means that winning is also very important.

Here's one way to turn the comp on its head and to make it a fully inclusive event. A month before the comp, Tony Cook or whoever is BFTA comp sec at the time, makes a list of all regions' active members, IN RANDOM ORDER. All the AAs and the Cs and those in between all mixed up. Then each region's team is the first fifteen names on their list, with reserves being drawn from places 16, 17, etc.

I can see what your saying Rich, but that would be unfair for a large region that was lower grade heavy.

I'm not sure how it can be fundamentaly changed, if you bolster the weaker teams artificially, then it becomes an artificial competition.

What we do in CSFTA is use a handicap system for the club teams. The top scores on the day of the club members count, kind of like a rolling qualification. A C grader gets 3 shots added to their score, a B grader 2, an A grader 1, and a AA gets sweet fa :D.

It works, because there's no pressure on everyone to always attend, and if you shoot well, you get in the club team, but it doesn't discriminate soley on scoring, and sometimes, with the handicap, it can be to the teams advantage to include a lower grade shooter.

The problem is I think, that on a national level, the handicaps would be far more tricky to work out.

I dunno, whilst I'm all in favour of not wanting to discourage shooters in lower grades, i'm not sure that it's possible with the teams. The fundamental differences between the regions and the teams is that some have lots of good shooters, and others have the opposite... (quite how SEFTA managed 3rd I don't know :D). We have the same problem in CSFTA, it's normally the team with the largest better shooting squad that wins... and short of not letting Bisley shoot, we can't see how to change it, short of making the team 1 person...or not telling them about the shoots.

We tried our best Rich, we got the snow in to give everyone a chance for more practice :D