Sign in to follow this  
2stretch

BSA meteor barrel finish

Just joined this great forum and there's a wealth of advice which is great!

I own a meteor .22 which was bought new for me as a lad circa 1972, i've used it on and off over all those years and its become like an old friend. During that time it's had a new spring (BSA original...probably not necessary but as a youngster hoping it would increase the power!), a new piston seal and lately a new breach 'O' ring seal to replace the original which simply crumbled from age. The original BSA scope suffered after being dropped...one of the cross-hairs became detached at one end so i replaced it with an AGS scope (besides which, the original scope had a rubber eye protector on the back end which had also perished due to age!)

I have always stored it in the warm and dry, kept it clean and occasionally oiled so really considering it's age it's in excellent condition, but of course there are some signs of use...and here is my question :-

There are some light scuff marks on both barrel and stock and i would welcome advice on how to repair these. The stock has lost it's varnish in just a few tiny areas around the base of the grip showing the bare wood underneath, and the barrel has some light scratching where it has been propped against a rough service during use.

The damage really is light so a total refinish is simply not warranted although the scratching on the barrel has lightly scored the metal (nice and bright with no rust) but what would everyone recommend to touch it back up again to keep out moisture? And would the stock be best just re-touched with a small paintbrush?

A visit to a gun shop would likely reveal a bluing touch-up pen. These use a selenium compound to blacken clean steel and may be good enough for your purpose. In the past I have covered tiny blemishes on bluing with one of these and they do work to an extent. The result is not particularly durable, though.

Stock finish - I can only suggest you try re-touching it with varnish. Re-stain the bare brown wood if necessary. I hope they didn't use brown varnish like some do. If the marks are deep or anything other than minor, I suspect a re-finish of the entire stock would be needed to improve its cosmetics.

DaveL

I have only ever seen blueing on the Mark 1 and some Mark 2 Meteors. The rest were good old BSA black enamel...very easy to touch up the paint.

Mike95

Yes i think it's a Mark 3 and the barrel certainly seems like it's finished in a paint so a little tin of enamel might do the trick then. As for the stock, the blemishes are really small but the wood looks much lighter where it is exposed so i guess i'll have to find a stain to match before i varnish.

Thanks for you suggestions.....