Sign in to follow this  
holly

GC2 Action .

Guest sportsmatch

Will Get some Pictures done Rob

Spec is full lazaglide, brass set back trigger, cocking aid, resetable safety catch, silver jewelled compression tube, muzzle brake/silencer sitting in a CS800 stock which is slightly deeper in the forend and the stippling is different also

Holly I used to shoot the GC2 at 810-815 fps with the lubed die 2,s premiers

Gary

810 , Yus gary thats what i shot the old die two's out at when i could get em . but the latest ones ( die "A" ) are quite a bit tighter in the bore . i use FP10 and i wonder if the extra resistence in the barrel of the oil is disturbing the groups at this speed . bit slower and drier and maybe that will get it going properly ??? HOLLY PS if you can hear heavy breathing and a commotion outside ? it is the tackle tart farnworth coming up your drive . :poster_oops::Grumpgramp:

how many GC2's have you got holly? ....... just out of interest....

Err , well , hmmmmmmmmmm . Three ??? HOLLY :Grumpgramp:

How many are in one bit and working ?

Two and a half ??? HOLLY

Very , very nice indeed garry . BUT you need a new camera and that scope has gotta go ??? HOLLY PS love the jewled bit .

PSS . that has made my old 77K look a bit sad . but it shoots well . breathed on by sandwell sports .

Edited by holly

Two and a half ??? HOLLY

One for every go at it you'll need at Newbury...

Gonna be a pleasure to break your heart with it rob . march and all ??? HOLLY

PS one thing , i will bet gary does not use his springer at the regionals ?

Edited by holly

PS one thing , i will bet gary does not use his springer at the regionals ?

He might as well after the way he shot Sunday with the dommy!!

Guest berty177

It has to be said Gary, that boinger of yours is looking lovely. Custom stocks have seemed to made a nice stock, the one Doz had from them for his ripper waas alot plainer than that.....

Very nice indeed. Wasnt this post about Holly buying another GC" action???

Seems people have gone away from that to springers??

Hope all is well your end Holly, have you put a new pair of tights on the xmas list from Santa???

Berty

Berty ,yep not to bad at this end . and my daughter always buys me a new pair for christmas . tights that is .

GC2 . right back to the rifle . i washed the oil off the prem pellets and got a tin of mozzies express 4.52s and a tin of exacts ready for today . got down the club at about 1.00 pm and straight onto the zero range with the prems . they were deff better without the oil . grouping was tighter and accuracy was more consistent . BUT the old problem with prems was apparent . drift with a light wind was just to much . i switched over to the express 4.52 , dropped the power down to 785 and confidence and scores were better straight away . will try the exacts tomorrow if i have not frozen to death ??? HOLLY PS when i get my new stock for the HW77K i will try to post a pic . ain't gonna beat garys but nice . :Grumpgramp:

Right . it turned out that the GC2 did not like the prems in the end . and the power would not go down reliably , so that i could use exacts . so i ended up using mozzies express in 7.9 . which run out at an average of 799 . it shoots these very well indeed , takes a decent wind , without fighting it . it has won me the last two springfield comps against moderate competition . heh heh . with a 39 ex40 and a 37 ex 40 . but i have not had a chance to use it in a really strong wind . the only let down really is the MK4 lupe . which to be fair hates the cold . i am considering putting my deben hakko on it ( a heavy old monster ) i have never know the thing change in any weather . it deserves a better scope than the Mk 4 . which to be fair is perfect in the spring through to automm .cheers gary , you should have kept this one ??? HOLLY

PS ROB i promise to let you have a look through a decent scope if i get the deben out the cupboard . :Grumpgramp:

I just had mine serviced and put in a 32ex36 including a few reducers on Redferns Turkey Shoot course.

Couldn't better that with a Steyr, a Zenith and a Dommie.

Keep plugging away with that seriously misunderstood and under rated piece of airgun history which will match ANYTHING around today Holly. !!! ludd.

Edited by luddite

Lud . if i win the lottery i am gonna buy out the rights to the GC2 . young fordy hates em anyway . £25,000 will do it . take the design to bowket and get him to upgrade the bleed valve so anybody can service it . let him have a look at the trigger to . the quality must stay the same . might sell em in diffent colours to keep the young lads happy . carbine perhaps . stainless action . get some snappy stocks . do an HFT model . hire / bribe the best shots in FT/HFT to shoot em .get some quality back in the FT game . now what did i do with the lottery ticket ??? HOLLY

UPGRADE TIME .

i have spent the family fortune and bought a 35 mag leupold comp X to put on top of the GC2 . it has the duplex ret as desired by rob . these are good on the comp series cos they do tend to be a bit on the dark side. so if you come up against a very dark target , you simply put the top of the bottom post on the bottom of the kill and away you go . it came with no sidewheel . so i have duly ponced one off RN10 ( keith ) the trick with the comp series is to use as small a sidewheel as pos . certianly no more than 4 inches in diameter .the gaps are still quite big , even with this size in use . if you go bigger you start to get errors . why not the 40 mag or the 45 ? to dark , dodgy for standers and a very small field of view . to be fair they are slightly more decisive than the 35 mag for rangefinding . but once you get used to it the former is pretty easy to use . will see how this one goes this weekend ??? HOLLY

oh, and I was just thinking... holly, with a hakko, and mozzies... all he needs now is a walther and a hook the right way up! :D

i'd still like a deben...

The deben works out to heavy with this rheumatism i have . so light is good ??? HOLLY

Saturday morning and around to RN10s house ( keith ) to get the sidewheel he made for his 20+50 lupe fitted . a bit of lathe work later and on it went . looked rather swathe and sort of familiar . so i said to keith that looks like something i have seen before . yes he said it started life as cambelt pulley off a lamborgini espada. class said i . just like me ? he also did a little bit of machining on my old shamal to get the air cover fitted on to the quickfill . that then went around to waynes for a service . top work keith ( but no hobnobs ) keiths birthday wednesday . says he is 38 ? oh yeah . then on to the club to sort out the comp X . i love shooting but hate setting up scopes . it NEVER goes right first time . checked all the allen bolts , filled the rifle . checked the gun over the chrono ( 807 with 7.9s .) on to the zero range . tried the scope at close range first . it goes down to 10 yards clear . then at all the ranges out to 55 yards . good definition and clear . it was quite overcast , so i was happy with that . started at 35 yards and marked the wheel up and the turret as i went on out . finnished that and went back over all the ranges and settings . filled up the rifle again and did the close ones . checked em against the settings . no problems . all seemed well . started grouping the rifle at the various ranges . spot on . went on up to the long targets at the end of the course with some wind on em ( about 5 miles an hour ) for a test i just chucked the wheel around to get the ranges . dialed em up quickly and shot . 30 seconds top whack . most in 15 or twenty . all went down . last target up was scary mary . 55 yards on the nose . decent bit of wind coming in from the right along the steam . parralaxed it at 54 yards . dialled it up , gave it one inch of wind off to the right and shot . down . again , down , again , down . four times in quick succession .no problems . tomorrow i will check every thing again and be ready to kick young robs ass ??? HOLLY :thumb::Grumpgramp:

Right , ran through every thing again today . checked double checked and then did it again . the gun allways shoots well . it likes mozzies , 7.9s . two strage thing about the outfit . it will only group well at 50 yards .nowhere else . you would think from the groups that it would not do well on a FT course . but it does . number two is the scope . it parralaxes down to 10 yards . nothing strange in that . set up at the factory after service i suppose . BUT it then goes on out to infinity . never seen that in a lupe set up for FT before . my old one only went out to about seventy or eighty yards . it also seems to like green targets . superb resoloution on them . don't like black paint . likes rust , tree bark . bolt threads , string ends and target edges . many thanks to bob dickinson who serviced the rifle and found out why the power would not come down and sorted it .bob has moved back to ooop north and will be sadly missed at springfield arc . i will remind calpin that i have kicked his ass with a rifle tuned by a yorkshire man ??? HOLLY :Grumpgramp:

Second week with the comp X on the GC2 . went down to ETL to try it out on a ground i do not know the ranges to the targets . you always get a strong light down the scope at ETL on the zero range . the comp did not like that .an extra sunshade is a must i think . checked all the lifts on the top turret . and they all worked out right at all the ranges . but the ranges came in wrong on two of them . 40 and 55 yards . so that will have to be checked out next saturday . bob dickingson had gone right through the rifle two weeks before . and cleaned out the barrel . this had improved the grouping no end . i decided to see how long it would take before it got worse . well it did not take long . you could see the groups getting worse as i shot for efect on the zero range . i do not know of course . but i wonder if the rifle has not had a lot of use . it is in very good condition outside and bob reckoned it was as new inside . if that is the case it could be that the blueing salts that they use on the rifle could still be in the barrel . i know my old one took a few thousand pellets to run it in . maybe not . could just be it is one of those barrels that need a lot of care . pulled it through with 5 tight patches sunday night . will see how it goes sat . gotta comp sunday at icini , so will decide whether to use it or not saturday afternoon ??? HOLLY

Right , we are now ready for the first winter league with the GC2 . the barrel is sorted i think . it is a dirty barrel pure and simple . cleaned it out before shooting .fired about 250 mozzies today . cleaned it out tonight and the patch came out rotten . just gonna have to do it after every shoot . . the new comp had to have the new sidewheel made slimmer by RN10 ( keith you did an excellent job on it ) plus he made me a top turret . put that on next week . tested the scope again .and it did a good job , considering the sun was down the scope . yep looking forward to tomorrow and trying it out at icini . not an easy shoot . so it is a good test ??? HOLLY

Well icini did not go to plan . plus i have managed to mess up my Comp X .. so i have put the Mk 4 back on and while i was at it changed the barrel over for my old one on number 113 . that barrel shoots exacts to a very high standard and may give me a bit more stability in my results .need some decent scores to get me into the winter leagur regional team . will see how it goes this weekend . last but one SEFTA round at springfield arc . ??? HOLLY

. plus i have managed to mess up my Comp X .. HOLLY

so what have you done to it???

Please tell Holly :wub:

Please tell Holly :wub:

Ask about glue :( i think :eek:

I thought it would be a good idea to glue the sidewheel on as well as use the little allen bolts to secure it . but some must have run down the parralax knob and got in the works . seized solid . goes back to lupe tomorrow . ah well it needed a clean ??? HOLLY PS not stuck up , me ?