Sign in to follow this  
ccie7667

Chronometer/Chronograph - which to buy?

A bit late I'm sure (at least for the O.P.) - but I am surprised no one has mentioned the Skan.

At £175 it is more expensive than the Chrony but cheaper than the millenium.

More importantly, it has a self-check function which helps to maintain accuracy and I believe is the Chrono of choice of many police forces.

Just a basic 4mhz chrono i have two here any shot can read +/- 8ft/sec.

Some guns will only register around 300 to 330ft/sec unless fired away a good 5 foot and shielded from above light, rather risky and inevitable waiting to happen.

Just a basic 4mhz chrono i have two here any shot can read +/- 8ft/sec.

That's strange - Skan quote an accuracy of 99.5% or better. By my maths, that equates to a maximum error of just 3 fps on 600.

Some guns will only register around 300 to 330ft/sec unless fired away a good 5 foot and shielded from above light, rather risky and inevitable waiting to happen.

Never had any gun register those figures - either they are in the expected range or the Chrono reads 'MISS MISS MISS'

Equally, I have used the Skan inside under fluorescent & tungsten lighting and outside without problems.

Any chrono is vulnerable to being shot even if just the skyscreens. I use a jig which both protects the chrono and ensures repeatability of barrel distance/alignment. If I wanted to use the Skan downrange I would stick a metal plate with a suitably sized hole in, in front of the chrono in case my markmanship was not up to scratch.

Guest raygun
anyone know what the police use to test air weapons.

In a lot of cases they will just go into their local friendly gunshop and ask them to stick it over the chrono. If it looks "interesting" then it will go to a test lab.

Then your problems start.

ATB

Ray.

anyone know what the police use to test air weapons.

Quote from the Skan Chrono web site:

SKAN CHRONOS HAVE BEEN IN CONTINUOUS USE WITH U.K POLICE AND AIRGUN MANUFACTURERS FOR THE LAST 25YEARS.

Wouldnt want to use a chrono down range for starters.

Maybe havent had opportunity to put all manner through a chrono, then add in the uncontrolled conditions.

Believe the sales patter if you like 99.5% on 800 is +/-2ft/sec. Cant get that with a 4mhz crystal at best 1% meaning any particular shot could read 792 to 808.

If the authorities are using these in a controlled environment, any one shot registers less than 1% over i would contest it.

Both my Skans wont register outdoors in any light. Give different readings dependant where put through the hole.

Have two Combro Mk4 as well won one, they work any where and in any light - almost and are quite accurate but wouldnt want to paintakingly set a gun up with one, just the rare check.

Never known a gun yet that isnt hold sensitive including GC2, add in another factor dependant how you pull the trigger as to what reading you can get. Breaking the trigger to pulling straight through will give a different reading but you need a good gun.

Maybe havent had opportunity to put all manner through a chrono, then add in the uncontrolled conditions.

Believe the sales patter if you like 99.5% on 800 is +/-2ft/sec. Cant get that with a 4mhz crystal at best 1% meaning any particular shot could read 792 to 808.

If the authorities are using these in a controlled environment, any one shot registers less than 1% over i would contest it.

Both my Skans wont register outdoors in any light. Give different readings dependant where put through the hole.

Have two Combro Mk4 as well won one, they work any where and in any light - almost and are quite accurate but wouldnt want to paintakingly set a gun up with one, just the rare check.

Never known a gun yet that isnt hold sensitive including GC2, add in another factor dependant how you pull the trigger as to what reading you can get. Breaking the trigger to pulling straight through will give a different reading but you need a good gun.

Extract from ShootingChrony manual:

"Accuracy: 99.5% or better. Displayed velocity will not differ from actual velocity by more than 1 part in 200, i.e., ±10 fps on a velocity reading of 2000 fps. Typical performance is generally better........"

Strange that both they and Skan are using the same "sales patter" isn't it?

Maybe you should get your chronos checked - seems like there might be something wrong with them.

Edited by Airsporter1st

My CED Millenium M1 is ideal for use down range even with powder burners, If you can't shoot through Skyscreens that size you should give up. It is cumbersome and needs a good Tripod, the optional storage bag and the infrared screens to be fully functional but is better value for money than the Skan. I leave my skyscreens and sensors set up on a tripod in the workshop and just attach the display unit when needed.

Tony

Extract from ShootingChrony manual:

"Accuracy: 99.5% or better. Displayed velocity will not differ from actual velocity by more than 1 part in 200, i.e., ±10 fps on a velocity reading of 2000 fps. Typical performance is generally better........"

Strange that both they and Skan are using the same "sales patter" isn't it?

Maybe you should get your chronos checked - seems like there might be something wrong with them.

Dont need to get my chronos checked all 5 tie in with other known to be good ones.

99.5% or better, makes me laugh.

That would explain why they can give any reading from 300 ft/sec to a good 100 ft/sec fast, now if my maths is right thats around 600 ft/sec difference on an actual 800. Yep that bad wont quible over the odd ft/sec talking hundreds.

The only one you can trust is a CED M1 or M2 with infra red, got one of them as well.

We use a SKAN at the club. The underlying clock speed is not fast enough. As it's digital and not analogue, it can only use an integer number of cycles in the calculation. Consequently you may get a reading of say 778.23 ft per sec, then you might get 779.46, and the next reading is 778.23 AGAIN!. Now what are the odds on any two pellets in a string of say 20 recording exactly the same velocity to two decimal places? The answer is, vastly against.

If the CED has a clock speed of 48 MHz it has the potential for ten or more times the resolution of the SKAN.

The Combro outputs to a resolution of 1 fps which is a lot more sensible.

Guest raygun

Anyone know who stocks the CED kit apart from Sportsman Gun Centre ?

ATB

Ray.

Anyone know who stocks the CED kit apart from Sportsman Gun Centre ?

ATB

Ray.

Euroguns of Doncaster advertise them but not clear which model.

Tony

I had my CED M2 from Euroguns mid 2009, never worked and still awaiting a replacement.

Just the one sensor playing up but needed for infra red or not.

I think Sportsman Gun Centre is the importer or that's what we were told.

CED is one nice bit of kit, well worth the money.

I bought mine (M1) direct from USA. There was a package deal for the complete kit including infra red screens and carry case. However after about £40 in import duty and handling fee, I don't think that I saved much.

We use a SKAN at the club. The underlying clock speed is not fast enough. As it's digital and not analogue, it can only use an integer number of cycles in the calculation. Consequently you may get a reading of say 778.23 ft per sec, then you might get 779.46, and the next reading is 778.23 AGAIN!. Now what are the odds on any two pellets in a string of say 20 recording exactly the same velocity to two decimal places? The answer is, vastly against.

If the CED has a clock speed of 48 MHz it has the potential for ten or more times the resolution of the SKAN.

The Combro outputs to a resolution of 1 fps which is a lot more sensible.

Hi guys this is an interesting thread I have a Skan mk1 and i have a shot out CB , I know which is more accurate now.