• Announcements

• DaveL

VCR Bill

Since the introduction of the "latest" VCR bill on 1st October 2007, sales of AIRGUNS (including replicas) AND MAJOR COMPONENTS (barrels, cylinders etc.) by DEALERS is restricted to a face-to-face transaction.   Please ensure you are familiar with the changes brought about due to the VCR act, which may be viewed on the BASC website.   BASC and ACPO have produced a guide to the VCR act in PDF format, which avoids legalese and is very understandable. See HERE.   AirGunForum members must ensure their transactions conform with current legislation before posting.   An inter-dealer network to facilitate the continuation of mail order business is being established by Portland Jon. Details are HERE or direct to his website HERE.
    • AirGunForum

Editing your posts

The forum's EDIT function has been changed. After making your post, you will have 30 minutes to review and edit it. After that, only Admin will be able to make edits.   Should a post NEED to be edited afterwards, email to admin@airgunforum.net the change details, the URL of the thread it applies to and if appropriate, the reason for the change. Don't forget to identify yourself and do use your registered email address to make contact. All this is necessary, as admin must be able to identify who you are and that it is your post that you wish to edit.   Admin. will make the edit if it appears necessary. Note, if you want to change something that could easily be achieved by adding a further post to the thread, you will be expected to do it.   Forum staff generally view new posts added to threads since their last visit. If a "for sale" item has been sold or a wanted item has been obtained, just add a post to the thread and it will usually be noted and the thread title will be edited appropriately. This saves members' time wading through posts that are effectively "dead".   DaveL
Sign in to follow this  
bmwmpb

Pellet Sizing

Has anyone had any experience with a tool that sizes pellet diameter for consistancy? I am rather new to air guns and am looking for information. It seems that consistant size would help accuracy but I can't find much info. Bullet diameter is a crucially important perameter when reloading gunpowder cartridges so I would think that it would at least affect pellet accuracy. I can't find tools on the major sites nor discussion on forums. I'm assuming that if it helped significantly there would be tools and discussion on technique and success. Does sizing not make much of a difference or is too much trouble for the results gained. Any feedback on the subject?

Can I assume that the three diffent (dies?) size the pellets to three differnt OD's? Is sizing effective? How do you determine what OD's you want to size to? It must be diffent for each gun. Thanks in advance.

Quite correct Bmw its a case of trial and error.

If using JSB derivatives, in 12 years i have only come across two different batches that measure above 4.48 regardless of whats printed on tin.

FYI TR Robb of Benfleet make pellet sizers, and a device to insert pellets into the breech by exactly the same amount each load. Can't comment on their effectiveness though

bmwmpb: Had a Beeman Pell Sizer that you can sometimes find for sell on the 54 Network Yellow Forum. At the time I had a Feinwerkbau 300S

that was an already accurate rifle even better with plain old Daisy Silver Streak wadcutter style pellets. I've even seen on occassion variations on

this pell sizer that had return springs for the forcing ram and mounted on a stand that allowed the pellets to drop into a container with foam in it.

Some of the ole school gunners even went to the trouble of weighing batchs of pellet into groups. All of these refinements in match conditions can

make the difference between walking away with the gold. But also starting with higher quality pellets would have been helpful in my case. And my

only competition was myself. But I had to sell this fine piece of equipment, also the FWB-300S after the wife had an operation and didn't have a

job with sick leave. You can't eat the darn things. Plus try refining your artillary hold, your breath control and your trigger squeeze first; before

going into the time consuming task of pellet sizing. Good luck with your endeavors in finding more accuracy. Shoot Straight, Shoot Safe and Shoot

Often. :thumb:

FYI TR Robb of Benfleet make pellet sizers, and a device to insert pellets into the breech by exactly the same amount each load. Can't comment on their effectiveness though

I've got one of these they'll only reduce the size of a standard pellet, that said they can improve groups slightly. mine is generally redundant these days due to a far wider choice of quality ammo, I got mine for sizing old style 5.6mm Eley Wasps for use in my German springers, but as mentioned good quality "metric sized" roundhead pellets are widely available these days.