Sign in to follow this  
jayrs

skan r32 silencer question, and GP steath valve question

first up, i agreed a price on a skan R32 (i believe its the R32) today and will collect next week, but while over there today to look at it and test fire it, i forgot to check to see if the end unscrews to fit a silence, so can a silencer be fitted to the skan R32 easy enough, or is there more to it? im hoping it like the stealth, where the end cap unscrews and the silence screws in

skan.jpg

onto the stealth, i have a mk1 stealth, and the bottle valve is leaking, along the valve steam im sure, but i will check it when i can get some charge in the bottle.

does anyone know if its simply a O ring thats worn out, or if its likely to be the fact the valves had it?

its a early mk1 valve, i.e no burst disc, and leupyscustomshop.co.uk do not sell complete valves no more, and he has advised me that the ones gunpower sell make the gun under powered as there not as good..... so has anyone overhaul a mk1 valve before, if so, where would i get the parts needed please

I may be a bit late (and so are you, I was living on the Island until recently, you could have popped over and had a plink in the paddocks!) but the end of the R32 doesn't unscrew, it's just a push fit piece of plastic (might be held in with a grub screw).

You could get Leupy to make you an adapter to thread a silencer to, or alternatively extend the barrel and thread directly onto that... that will add weight and change the balance though ;-)

Hope it all works / worked out for you.

cheers for the reply mate.

i had a good look at the skan today in fact and yeah, the end come off as you say, im thinking i will make up a adaptor to fit the silencer, i might make one to take the stealth silencer to see how well that works on it, saves paying right now for a new one.

where about from the island are you from/lived out of interest?

Hi... glad you got the rifle and I hope you enjoy shooting it. I have to say that after using the Skan I haven't purchased another rifle, I just love the fast reloading and it's fun to plink with too.

The problem with fitting an adapter is that there will be a gap between pellet and silencer, quite a long one, so there is a possibility of the pellet clipping I suppose, that's why I went for the longer barrel and silncer threaded directly onto it. Leupy can do all the work required, as long as you can source a barrel... I got mine from BSA, a tad narrower but it can be shimmed to fit fine.

I have also converted a Stealth can (well Leupy did!) and being a little shorter than the Weihrauch it suits the Skan well. That silencer project isn't finished yet, I need to sort baffles etc... it does work, but it isn't as quiet as the Weihrauch and the report sounds different too. When I get that project sorted I'll post photos, it looks quite tasty I think!

As for the Isle, I'm an Overner and was near Totland / Freshwater working in Newport, Alum Bay and Westridge but the 20+ hours a week spent commuting on Southern Vectis finally killed me! I bailed here for the Winter season (maybe) and I am not sure if I will return to the island or not, somewhen maybe... possibly the next time I'll head Dorset way, as long as I'm near the coast and as far from London as possible ;-) Grockle season must be about over there were you inundated with chuckleheads and Grockle cans? What part are you in?

Oh... you probably know but Accupells are the choice pellet. The gunshop in Newport sells Crosman Premiers, pricey but lovely... :-)

13092011900.jpg

just clocked i removed the picture but cant edit the first post so heres another for people.

i did think about the gap between the barrel and where the silencer would start, its something i might leave and see how it goes and change what ever.

barrel isn't a problem as such, i got a couple of old springers which are past there best, a bsa with no stock and a webley osprey which is old and missing parts (that was my £1 bargain from a boot sale) if the barrel will suit or not i don't know, but i do have 18 inch spare barrel i got for the stealth but haven't machined it to suit so its still sat in the cabinet, so worse case i could use it for the skan.

making the bits wouldn't be a problem, i got a myford lathe set up in the workshop, just got to find the oilers for the head bearings and i can start using it :)

would be interested to see the silencers your doing :thumb:

im a mainlander too, from south london, moved here in 96 when i left school as i got a apprenticeship with GKN in the machine shop, although im a refrigeration engineer now so don't have access to all the wonderful machines i used to years ago :(

grockle season is nearing its end thankfully lol

im in newport, best place for me as its central to everything, couldn't and wouldn't live out west wight, too much out the way, and i bet the buses done your head in big time, i don't mind driving it as its a nice run in the xr2 or the RS (i still got the cars from my younger days but at 31 not a boy racer no more lol) but the drive out there is better when i gotta go to co op to fix something and im paid to drive out there LOL

the gun did come with a tin of accupells about 2/3rds full, and i do have a tine with only a few out, and i gotta agree with you, there are excellent pellets, i think there so good i don't waste them.

i tend to use more of the cheaper pellets like the BSA, marksman etc, as sometimes i like to have a play about and shoot random things (with pistol and rifle) such as brambles, sting nettles, twigs etc so don't see the point of wasting a good pellet for that.

however, im yet to try the cheaper pellets in the skan

****i want to add though for anyone reading this, as irresponsible as this "playing about" sounds, its not, its done safely in grounds where i have permission to shoot, the owner of the land is family, and theres nothing and no one around where i shoot to get damaged or come to any harm, and the grounds are big enough to ensure no pellet could go beyond the boundary, if one was to go stray****

Edited by jayrs

excellent :thumb:

a question for you, if you know.

wheres the serial number on these? i cant see one on mine?

i know there hand made to order, but surely there would be a number on there?

i likes to keep a list of makes, models and serial numbers of alkl my guns incase the worst happenes and they got nicked or something

AFAIK there is no serial number.

If there is, it's probably buried somewhere that requires the rifle be dismantled... and that is something that I have not yet attempted! I can't imagine it's on any alloy pieces (body etc...) and there isn't enough steel to stamp. The barrel was blank when I removed it and un-blued (apart from the end that protrudes at the breech), putting it on a removable barrel doesn't make much sense anyway.

You could give Mike a call and ask, but I suspect there is no record/number other than his own as to how many he has made. Anyhow, enjoy... they are an acquired taste I suppose and in these days of electronic triggers etc... they are probably a little 'agricultural' for some, but if you grew up on springers as I did then the Skan is a huge leap forward into recoiless, rapid fire.

Oh.... here's mine with the Weihrauch silencer (Combro attachment taped to it). The Stealth can reduces that length somewhat and fattens the end, if you have a laser in the laser housing, fitting a Stealth can may (just) obscure the laser... something to consider ;-)

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b290/ste...32Ultra-1-1.jpg

yeah i expected as must for the reasons you have stated, ah well, i'll get some of that smart water and make a number on it myself.

i got springers even now lol, although the first rifle i had, well was my dads but i used, it was a tuned, slightly shortend crossmans pump up with a wood stock from a cross bow on it (done but a proper chippy) and it was a great gun, but after a while the pumping go to be too much lol, mind you 3-5 pups was plently power full but when your 15 years and you can get 50 pumps into the thing and blast the hell out of thermo blocks it was great fun :) but swapped it for a cross bow which i still got now.

i agree the skan is a bit like marmite, it seems some people love, other hate, ive only had about 50 shots on it, 40 of which were when i tested it prior to buying, and i love it :thumb:

Oh.... here's mine with the Weihrauch silencer (Combro attachment taped to it). The Stealth can reduces that length somewhat and fattens the end, if you have a laser in the laser housing, fitting a Stealth can may (just) obscure the laser... something to consider ;-)

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b290/ste...32Ultra-1-1.jpg

that looks cracking mate :)

how come you have a laser on the scope? did you remove the facotry fit one?

mines still got it, and i think your right, the stealth silence may block it a tad, but tbh, although i have a laser on the stealth, i hardly use it, and the same will prob apply to the skan

The laser is on top as the rifle came with no factory fiited laser, and I wasn't going to pay over 100 quid for a Crosman laser which is what I think Mike was using. So I bought a 30 quid Hawke laser and stuck it on top. It works for me and I just use it as a range checker prior to taking a shot. Laser and scope zero are around 25 yards, so a quick flash of the laser shows me whether I am over or under my zero. If I'm afer squirrels I usually drop the zero to 20 yards as most shots are no further than that and shooting up into the trees means gravity has even less effect on zero. (That's squirrel shooting on the mainland of course ;-))

fair enough, i wouldnt pay £100 for a laser too lol, although i haven been tempted by a gree laser for the stealth in place of the red, no reason for it just fancy one lol

you can shoot greys over here, not that i do any hunting with mine as yet, bit of ratting now and then but thats about it.

back to lasers, i gott set mine up on this one, the zero on the scope was out for me a fair bit and the laser way off, dunno what range it was set at, but like you i'll range it in about 25 yards also

According to the www, Skans are now "sold out"! - http://skanar.co.uk/skanm32.htm

I wonder if there will be any more or if that is it for the rifle? I did hear a rumour a while back that Mike was not going to make any more... ???

hmm, dunno, looking through the history of skan it looks like they bring a new modle out in the end, so hopfully its not the end.

the guy i got my 32 from did phone skan prior to me buying it to find out what battery fro the laser ( i called before hand also) and the guy at skan offered to buy the gun from him as he had 2 people after one, lucky for me he didnt sell it back to skan (i dunno if a price was spoken about) so theres still people wanting them, i know its only 2, but still

would like to see a new model, but im not sure how different a new model could be compaired to the rest if he wants to stick with the same looks and style.

will watch that space

Ah... have you ever seen the L2(?) model? Mike finally caught up with the longer, threaded barrels owners were adding... and then went a little further adding 2 lasers!

To be fair, he probably had it right originally. I'd lose the laser housing (from our R32 Ultra models), cut the frame back and thread a silencer directly onto a shorter barrel... that for me has to be the better combination. This was probably the R32 version.

no, not seen the L2, would be interested to see it if its much different?

ive seen (on the net) a r32 cut down like that, although for me, i would rather fit a longer barrel i think