Sign in to follow this  
azuaro

TM 1000

Has anyone tried the RA-TM1000 rifle?

http://usfieldtarget.com/?feed=rss2

Not seen one over here yet , mostly EV2s , STEYRs , WALTHERS and ANSCHUTZ . cheers HOLLY :):thumb:

Thank you Holly...

FT shooters in the UK, please let us know as soon as you have some insights on this TM 1000...It is suppossed to be a good, very accurate and easy to service rifle (2 small easy to change "O" rings for the air regulator) but only avid discriminating FT shooters and time will be able to tell...

You mention Anschutz & Walthers, ¿What models are mostly used and why? ¿Which rifle is the best of the best out there for FT without $$$ restrictions?

I don't mean to change the subject of the thread, but can somebody tell me why is it that we don't see: Zeiss, Swarovski or Nightforce AO (side) scopes used in FT?... is it a matter of not being able to be re-parallaxed to 10 yds. or why is it that only Leupolds are used among the best of the best scopes and without diminishing Nikko, Bushnell, etc.

Thank you and best regards for all of you FT shooters ,

azuaro

Edited by azuaro

why is it that we don't see: Zeiss, Swarovski or Nightforce AO (side) scopes used in FT?... is it a matter of not being able to be re-parallaxed to 10 yds. or why is it that only Leupolds are used among the best of the best scopes and without diminishing Nikko, Bushnell, etc.

FT shooters generally prefer a higher Magnifigation to use a scope's parallax movement to "Measure" target distances. 10-50mags are common on the circuit, BSA/Nikko/S&B. Even the March 80 mag :0 is begining to surface, but many will tell you (especially Holly), the clarity of these scopes is better around the 30-35Mag settings. I can't remember seeing a Zeiss or Swarovski with a 40-50Mag lens (corrections please), currently on sale. Even though these scope brands do have fantastic optics.

Leup's are more favoured due to the clarity of image in low light conditions, and the Fixed Mag Competition series are lighter that the 10-50, 20-50 scopes, due to less glass and adjustment mechanisms. Some of the older Leup models are even more desired.

Then there is the fashonabilty of the name, the shooters budget, and scope avaliabilty. Good, reliable scopes are hard to find, and the second hand market is generally the best place to aquire a proven "new" scope. So for a Manufacturer to break into the market, it has to have a damn good product. I'm still waiting to see how good the Falcon T50 prooves to be.

Al.

Edited by Tackleberry

THE BEST FT RIFLE ? no such thing really mate . It all has be taken into account in the end . how much can you afford , what do you want it for and what is your idea of an FT rifle ? IE Light , heavy , pretty , custom stock and so on . i can only speak for myself , i am an anschutz fan . i have a 2002 shutz . but money no object , then a 8002 or 9003 . superb rifles . but if it suits you then any of the top rifles can do the job . scope wise if you do not want bells and whistles then the lupe 35 or 40 mag Comp X are very hard to beat . if you have the money then the S&B PM2 and the March are at the top of the list . if possible the thing is to try em , before you buy em . FT is all about choice , training , dedication and competition . how much , how hard , how long , how expensive , is up to you . ??? HOLLY :):thumb:

FT is all about choice , training , dedication and competition.

and HOBNOBS!!!! :)

Al.

Thank you so much for your replies Tackleberry and Holly...Now I am beggining to understand the theory behind FT Scopes and I am glad that I asked to the right people, I was about to make my selection in between a Leupold VXIII 6.5-20 x 40 or the same 6.5 - 20 x 50, a Zeiss or a Swarovski with the same power level and adjustability (Side adjusting objective).

After reading your advice, I will now focus on a Leupold Competition 35X or 45X as I understand that it will have an advantage over the VXIII for rangefinding even though the the VXIII is lighter and shorter...My only concern would be to shoot with 45X at 10-20 yards, but since you do it over there in the UK I guess that the high magnification at very close ranges is not an issue with these scopes...

The Anschutz 9003 is very, very nice ...I Have never shot one but I have seen them at the 10M range and everybody swears by them...I assume that you need to modify the regulator for the 12 ft/lbs class where I intend to shoot...Here in the US the majority of FT shooters use 19 ft/lbs but I have never ever seen and Anschutz modified for this kind of ft/lbs...

I am aware that 19ft/lbs is not allowed in the UK and neither is accepted for International competitions where I will like to shoot in the near future...

In the US the EV2 -MK4 is what is considered to be the KING of the FT rifles even though it is cheaper than the Steyr FT-110, currently there is the hype of the TM1000 which is suppossed to be a very good, accurate and reliable gun...We will see once you experts test it in Europe...

Thank you all for your relies and courtesies to my requests, I will stay alert on your suggestions and advice... :)

Best regards,

azuaro

Hi Azuaro,

I bought a new Leup Comp X40 8 months ago (from the US), and am still getting used to it. But it is very very good. I chose x40 over the x35 for the slightly higher mag, but slightly bigger field of view, over the x45. It is worth looking through three or four before you make a final choice.

However for FT, make sure you budget for two sun shades. I started with a 4"+2", but found in low sun conditions (on the horizon as opposed to poor light), the scope still suffered from partial "White Out". I now have 2 Four inch shades and it has virtually cure the problem.

Also purcahse a 50' adapter to get the parallax down for the close in targets. My comp 40 drops down to 10yds (out of the box), but our closest competition target is 8 yds. A 50' adapter (mounted in a couple of butler creek flip ups) drops the parallax to below 7Yds in bright sun, with crystal clarity.

A nice alloy sidewheel and Top turret sets the scope off nicely. And a nicely marked up sidewheel (Powerpoint rather than masking tape), completes the job. As Holly once told me, part of the joy of FT, can be found in ownership of some quality kit that is well presented. Of course it helps if you can hit a target or three with it too.

Al.

Edited by Tackleberry

Hello Tackleberry,

Thanks for these tips...

I have never seen or heard about those 50' focusing adapters and after reading your reply I found them on the Internet and read that they are designed for focusing to 15 feet which confirms what you are telling me...

I wasn'table to find an installation manual and I will appeciate a little more details about its installation:

1.Do you need to remove the front lens (Objective)? or

Does this adaptor has a lens and you attach it to the objective with the flip ups?

Do you use it just for targets closer than 10 yards or is it used for all the ranges?

Where is a good source for the alloy wheel and what size (Diameter) do you recomend?

I agree with you and Holly: Pride in ownership of nice and good looking equipment is part of the sport, but in my case I need to

I apologize...The browser shut down and cut my message and I just couldn't find a way for deleting it...This is the complete version of my communication:

Hello Al,

Thanks again for these very valuable tips...

I have never seen or heard about those 50' focusing adapters and after reading your reply I found them on the Internet...I understand that they are designed for focusing to 15 feet which confirms what you are telling me, but since I could not find an installation manual I have a few questions for you:

1. Do you need to remove the front lens (Objective) for installing this adaptor? or

2. Does this adaptor has a lens/glass and you attach it to the objective with the flip ups?

3. Do you use it just for targets closer than 10 yards and remove it for shooting 10 yards and up, or is it used for all the distances (permanently installed)?

Where is a good source for buying the alloy wheel and what size (Diameter) do you recomend? Here in the US I have seen the 8 and 10 inch Leapers wheel (Cheap but pretty good) adapted to mostly all scopes but I would rather have something specially designed for the Leupold knob if it is available...What do you use?

I agree with you and Holly:

"Pride in ownership of nice and good looking equipment is part of the sport"...I was an avid hunter for 52 years (since I was 7) and my experience has been that GOOD GLASS (scope) mounted on an average rifle is a better combination than mediocre-poor glass mounted in the best of rifles...I am pretty sure that this hypothesis is also true to FT...

Note: I still hunt, but nowadays I have more fun enjoying game in their habitat and use cameras instead of rifles.

Thank you once again for you very valuable information and my regards for the forum... :)

azuaro

The 50 foot adapter fits into the flip up on the front of the scope . go onto leupolds website and then have a look at custom site they have on there . where you can have a different coulour scope ( ie Gunmetal ) plus different turrets and reticals . made to measure so to speak . if you are in a bright part of the country and have good eyes , then the 40 mag Comp X in gunmetal , with MK4 turrets and a 30+30 ret would be my choice . but have a look on the forums to see what is what . also look at Shooting the breeze forum .lots of FT views on there with lots of pics . Rowan engineering for Bits and PMCB and barry taylor if you can find him ??? HOLLY :):thumb:

Just a copy of the Rapids with a bottle. In 21 years i have only ever seen one person for a short space of time use a 17. Old hat design due to massive stroke from 20+yrs ago.

Theres people that lead, others just try and copy.

Matt knocks dad , alan had a rapid 17 and was most peeved when he got timed out on a winter league lane shooting it ??? HOLLY :):qq::thumb:

Hi Azuaro,

I will PM you a few photo's of the 50' adaptor fitted into Butler creek flip ups. THere is no need to adjust and of the Leup lenses to use the adapter. It really is very simple.

As for a Sidewheel, if you contact JON, who has posted into this discussion, he makes a very decent bit of kit indeed. He made my sidewheel and turret (see pictures when they arrive in your mail box over the weekend), and has made Scope wheels for many other shooters. I'm sure he would be able to offer advice.

ATB,

Al.

Butting in.... :0

Here's a pic of a 50ft adaptor in a Butler Creek; the alloy ring is a locking ring to hold it in place. If you make the hole in the BC a shade too big the 50ft drops out. I turned up this ring and screwcut it 48tpi to match.

IMG_0039res.jpg

Edited by rich

Hi Azuaro,

Could not work out how to send you a PM with photo's, so I've attached them to the post. 50' adaptor lens "stacked" onto the Sunshade in the smaller butler creek.

Some shooters use some elastic band/cord to hold the 50'Adapter flip up, as it cna drop down to obscure the view at the crucial point of squeezing the trigger.

ATB,

Al.

Thank you so much for your input and courtesies to my requests...I am new to FT but I am learning fast and beginning to understand how this sport works...

The first week of July I will be at Optics Planet store for testing Leupold's 35, 40 and 45X to find out which one works best for me. I anticipate the 35X will be my best choice given my age bracket and eyesight and according to Holly's experience and recommendation above in this thread...

I have one more question regarding scopes: Reviewing some threads at Shooting the Breeze Forum, there is a spreadsheet comparing many FT scopes and among them the NIGHTFORCE brand is mentioned...

The Nightforce factory is located in Orofino Idaho very close to where I live on Flathead Lake in Montana http://nightforceoptics.com/12-42-x-56-nxs/ and I wonder if anyone has seen, tried to or reparallaxed one of these NXS scopes...

Center fire shooters swear by this brand, they say that these scopes return to zero EVERY TIME and that heat, altitude and humidity does not change the POI or focusing and that the optics are up there with the best optics available anywhere at any price (Very Strong statement)...Nevertheless, I understand that reparallaxing a Nighforce is a difficult task...

I emailed NIGHTFORCE today and will post their reply.

Regards for the forum...

azuaro

The nightforce scopes over here are quite dear .and are not a light scope .i do not find the optics to be any better than the leupolds . as for returning to zero . my Comp X has to go though 4 complete turns to go from zero to 8 yards ( i use a very high mount for bertter head position and a flatter trajectory between 45 and 55 yards . 12 foot pound over here , so not as much power and a more loopy trajectory ) and my scope returns to a 15 mil kill area with no probs . on the subject of the comp X 35 mag to 40 mag . the 40 is easier to range with . but if you get a 35 mag , then use a smaller sidewheel . IE 3 inches is the one i use , it gives smaller gaps between ranges but is more positive ??? HOLLY :thumb:

Thanks Holly...Then the Nighforce scopes that you have seen have been reparallaxed to 8-10 yards?

The only advantage that I would see in one of these scopes over the Leupold Comp X is the variable power...I am the kind who is a better shooter at low power settings, usually around 10-12 X works fine for me...

Hello FT Forum:

I emailed Nightforce and asked them about re-parallaxing their scopes and this is the response I received today:

Thank you for contacting Nightforce Optics.

Our NXS line of optics can be adjusted to be parallax free down to 50 yards. Our closest parallax adjustment is in our Benchrest series optics which is 25 yards. Nightforce Optics does not recommend the alteration or unauthorized modification of our products. Any alteration could result in exclusion of the Nightforce Optics warranty. Please reference the Nightforce Optics owner's manual for a complete description of our limited lifetime warranty, see link below:

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/OwnersManual.pdf

Unless somedody in the UK has succesfully done it for this brand, I guess that Nightforce is is NOT very re-parallaxing friendly as Leupold is.

Regards....

azuaro

The 50 foot close focus adaptor is so-called because it alters the point of focus from the infinity setting to 50 feet, say 17 yards. So if the bare scope only focuses down from infinity to 50 yards, there will be a gap between 50 yards and 17 yards where you can't focus; that makes it pretty well useless for FT.

Even the 25 yard model still leaves a gap between 17 and 25 yards, as did some of the older Leupolds. I had one - I think it was a VX111 ?? with a prem conversion to 18-40x mag and that had a blank distance between 17 and 25 yards. Not too much of a problem with standard mounts but maybe with Holly's tall mount he needs to know the difference between 17 and say 20 yards.

Unless somedody in the UK has succesfully done it for this brand, I guess that Nightforce is is NOT very re-parallaxing friendly as Leupold is.

I have done a fair few BR which at best will only then come down to 17 yards, then 50ft adapter required.

Done a couple of NXS42 mags so has Jenky. Warranty is void when returned to US but they will locktite the locking ring down and return back to original min 50 yard focus whether you want it or not naking it a totally unuseable scope without drastic action.

Using 10 to 12 mag you will struggle to range above 35 yards, better with naked eye to 40 yards.

Pretty cheap over there are the Bushy 6500 series, these can be refocused new and old and may be better suited overall. Or the Bushy 4200 series 8-32 and Burris RA 8-32 if you can find one.

Nearly all manufacturers will void warranty when adjusted properly to suit the intended application.

Quite rightly as Rich said, there will be a point which we called a blind spot, this is variable dependant where focus tops out at. They all vary from one scope to the next.

On my old VX3 20-50 the last Dick Thomas did mine topped out at 59 yards and came down to 16. 50ft adapter took it from 7yards 1 foot to 14 yards 2 foot leaving a blind spot from there to 16. You know the range it just looks out of focus and easilly get the shot off.

In FT we have a saying young sir . " better to shoot at a dinner plate , than a saucer " so in other words you will be able to better place your shot on 30 mag , than 12 mag . Leupolds Custom department will supply all the bit's you need AND reparralax the scope to the distance you need . have a look on there site . my 35 mag is good for positionals and sitters . clear , light and reliable ??? HOLLY

Thank you guys...I agree with the saying Holly but I shake a lot when I see saucers...Specially if they are unidentified!!... :amen:

Really, I overcompensate for my natural movements and tend to be a better shot at medium to low power settings....

I will take a close look at those Leopold 35, 40 and 45X next week...My first choice was a variable high power scope for using high X in range finding and medium to low power for shooting but I guess that I will have to learn to shoot with high X if I will be considering a Leupold....

My first choice before your valuable advice was Smidt and Bender 12.5-50 x 60 dedicated FT scope but I read terrible reviews about it, Zeiss and Swarovski don't have anything with that power range that will do accurate range finding and their scopes cannot be re-parallaxed to 10 yards...The Nightforce cannot be re-parallaxed either.

Bottom-line: After considering your advice and from what I have read, my options are Leupold, the Big Nikko or the Bushnell...The last two are OK but the optics are not in the same league as the former mentioned brands. I called Leupold's Custom Shop this afternoon and their service is just out of the ordinary, the technician chatted with me for 10-15 minutes and told me that once I choose what I want, they will re-parallax it for me and will put any finish, turrets, etc. I want...A good thing is the warranty which is lifetime...

Now I have to decide what rifle to get...Last year I tried a Styer FT 110 with I believe 24 joules? (Whatever the Highest Power is) and it is a fine good shooter but I don't feel comfortable with it (front part) and they are not very common in this country (only 2 distributors)...The TM1000 is another choice but I haven't heard reviews from real FT shooters (you in the UK and Europe) and lastly, I really like the reviews and looks of the EV2 MK4...I will unfortunately have to but a rifle without being able to test them because of no availability around this area...Here in Montana is hunting and fly fishing paradise all year around and people don't shoot FT.here

Joe Korick (lives not too far away in Oregon) tells me that he has worked with the EV2 and that it is a very good rifle that he can make shoot 20 ft./lb. and can also make a titanium air tank for more air capacity to compensate (number of shots) for the extra power...He has done conversions with power adjustability and this would be awesome as I intend to go to shoot in the UK/Europe.

What do you think about the EV2? Is it the top notch or is there something more accurate/better for FT?

Nothing better than the Ev2 out there.

Ev2 took the top fve places in sundays BFTA Gp at anston.

cheaper than the walther or steyr and easier to shoot.

I cant understand "how you miss with an ev2"!

Joe also does work on the anschutz range . the other rifles you mention are worthy rifles . but they do not come near the anschutz quality in my opinion ??? HOLLY

A member of this forum emailed me recommending me March scopes (England); there are 2 models that are suggested for FT on their web site: 5-50 x 56 and 8-80-56

These scopes are lighter compared to other top of the line brands with similar specs…Both models are parallaxed to 10 yards and the pricing is comparable to S&B and other expensive high end scopes...

Anyone using them?

http://www.deon.co.jp/march/March-X.htm

a few use them and very good they are too.

they are not worth the money over a new leupold comp or older mk4 luepold though from what i have seen / looked through.

A few who have baught them are now trying to sell for the above reason..

Ah, Thank you!....This is a very good observation because March are 3 - 3.5 times as much as a Leupold Comp here in the US and while not trying to nickel dime my glass,

a $2,500 difference for the same quality pays for the rifle...

Regards... :)

The alternative to the Comp X is the 20+50 leupold . this has been boosted by means of a doubler and usually have a premier ret . there are quite a few around . the optics in then can be superb and they snap in and out really well . problems are that leupolds had a bust up with premier and now they do not get on . so leupold will not work on prem ret scopes . at least they will , but they will send it back with the doubler in a bag and no prem ret . also they take a while to learn , cold and heat affect then quite a lot . but it is all readable once you know em . i have one i got off e-bay . nice and it was cheap ??? HOLLY :thumb:

Edited by holly