Sign in to follow this  
joebob81

New to airguns - Repairing/rebuilding Crosman 2200 Magnum

I haven't used an airgun since I was a kid, but I just received my grandfather's old Crosman 2200 Magnum and would like to get into it a bit. I need a gun for rabbits/squirrels/etc and had planned on getting a .22 rifle, but for nostalgia purposes I'd like the 2200 to serve that purpose.

The problem is it doesn't work. The gun has sat unused for 20-ish years. I pump it up, load it, fire... and you can hear the mechanism move forward as expected, but it doesn't fire. If you try to pump it with the chamber open, air escapes with each pump - I don't know if that's normal. The only think I've done with it is use pellet gun oil before I tried it the first time.

Could somebody give me advice as to what is likely going wrong with it? What parts typically need to be replaced after sitting for that long? If you have any suggestions as to where I should buy the parts let me know, as well as any other resources I should acquire. I'm decently mechanically inclined, so as long as I can find a parts diagram I'll be doing anything myself.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

What types of parts would you suggest replacing on an older gun? I want to use it for years to come.

Joebob,

It is most likely that the seals need replacing aftef that length of time. That is the pump seal and all the seals in the valve unit. Before you go down that route though, have you tried a little lube.?

Have a look on Crosmans web site, they have pdf owners manuals and spare parts lists for their older models that you can download for free.

Pete.

Joebob,

I forgot to mention....as you are in Illinois, for spares or repairs you should speak to John Groenewold. He is J G Airguns, based in Mundelein,IL.

Phone 847.566.2365.

Pete.