Sign in to follow this  
Barry

FTP900 repairs

Haha that didn't last long only done one shoot GP1 and now power all over the place.

Time has come

On your rifle or... ?

Look at little jack . wins a 900 . it was so bad he had to send the barrel back . hardly had a good score since he won it .??? HOLLY

Cmon Col I wouldn't admit to having or using one.

AT is out peaks at 765 and is now stable, at least he can use the weekend. Need to replace my tube undoer to go any further.

Weird one the crapiest pellets I have weights 7.2 to 8.8, shodiest 7.9's are all acceptable over CED within 8ft/sec. Other rifles seen as much as 70ft/sec variation. I'll put money on it that rifle takes little wind.

Cmon Col I wouldn't admit to having or using one.

AT is out peaks at 765 and is now stable, at least he can use the weekend. Need to replace my tube undoer to go any further.

Weird one the crapiest pellets I have weights 7.2 to 8.8, shodiest 7.9's are all acceptable over CED within 8ft/sec. Other rifles seen as much as 70ft/sec variation. I'll put money on it that rifle takes little wind.

Did you open up the left-hand transfer port; on mine it was screwed fully in really restricting the flow.

Try it with AA Expresses at 800-810fps and see how it performs

I think col that Jon might just know what he is doing . have you ever thought of becoming a agony aunt ??? HOLLY

Serious question for Jon.

How easy / difficult would it be to make a replacement hammer spring adjuster for the FTP that could actually be adjusted?

The present adjuster appears to be steel and has a sprue in the middle where the factory have snapped off the head of what I presume was some form of driver. I can drill a couple of holes in the present adjuster, to allow me to fabricate a tool, but wondered how easy (or not) it would be to make a proper adjustable replacement.

Serious question for Jon.

How easy / difficult would it be to make a replacement hammer spring adjuster for the FTP that could actually be adjusted?

The present adjuster appears to be steel and has a sprue in the middle where the factory have snapped off the head of what I presume was some form of driver. I can drill a couple of holes in the present adjuster, to allow me to fabricate a tool, but wondered how easy (or not) it would be to make a proper adjustable replacement.

Neil, just do what I did when I first got the thing out, simply hacksawed a slot across the face so any slot screwdriver can adjust.

To make something as practical as the Steyr adjustment would mean chopping the stock about for access I think?

Col that's the easy way out nothing wrong in doing that in fact its an improvement since the burr might take the play up in the thread and tighten it up a bit.

Normally do that with the Anchutzs.

Was going to make a replacement power adjuster last night but strapped for time, M14X1.25. Just used original mild locktited in and now stable. Bulk of the problem was the owners chrono registering 130 ft/sec low, next one 100 low and so on. CED M2 never lies cant say that about any other chrono.

Easily done in small quantities but need some sort of locking unless use a mild locktite.

765 8.4, 778 7.9 within 1/4 rev of coil bound, 1/32 rev on will see velocity drop, side AT out.

Colin, I have a neat little two pronged tool left over from my motorcycle days, so a couple of small holes would allow me to adjust the spring, I just see it as a bit of a stop gap.

I am not looking to adjust the spring while in action is in the stock, more to have a regular way of fine tuning, as I used to have on my various Pro-T's.

Jon, Is there not a locking grub screw acting on the underside of the spring adjuster? There appears to be a drilling going in that direction, but I can't confirm as there is a blind cross drilling which has a steel pin in it.

I know the MK2 EV's had a grub screw and a blanked off drilling, as Kev Jackman found this on his (factory supplied) EV.

I was told that right at the back of the trigger unit there is a allen bolt that goes up to lock off the adjuster ??? HOLLY

I was told that right at the back of the trigger unit there is a allen bolt that goes up to lock off the adjuster ??? HOLLY

That's the kiddie and on the FTP there appears to be the additional pin I mentioned, blocking access to that grub screw.

Interesting, I wonder if it's locked off on mine. When I got the adjuster out it wasn't tight at all.

Maybe your's was already removed Colin, or maybe AA have added / removed bits of AT.

I don't want to touch anything on my FTP at present, but sooner or later curiosity will get the better of me.

Curiosity got the cat neil ? go on you know you wanna . i will lend you my claw hammer for the strip ??? HOLLY

Claw hammer? Come on Holly, you know me better than that.

A lump hammer and a bolster chisel is all I need.

You need to pop over and see rob . he needs help with his springer ??? HOLLY

PS anybody who shoots springers in competition " Need Help "

You need to pop over and see rob . he needs help with his springer ??? HOLLY

PS anybody who shoots springers in competition " Need Help "

The only course of action to those who shoot springers competetively is to wonder at their sanity.. :)

Col , all the heart ache . all the worry about whether the spring is worn , the piston head knackerd . has the stock bolts loosened , has the scope moved . should he run it dry , should he give it all up and have a pint ??? HOLLY

PS i think the later wins hands down .

Col , all the heart ache . all the worry about whether the spring is worn , the piston head knackerd . has the stock bolts loosened , has the scope moved . should he run it dry , should he give it all up and have a pint ??? HOLLY

Quite ironic considering this thread is all about how unreliable and random FTPs are. Some might consider a well tuned springer an upgrade.

Quite ironic considering this thread is all about how unreliable and random FTPs are. Some might consider a well tuned springer an upgrade.

They're better once all the AT is ripped out of them... :)

my FTP900 is running sweet as a nut but its taken a bit of running in as it started off at 10.3 ftlb but soon came up to 11.4ftlb and has now stopped at 11.6ftlb 786fps on 8.4 AA pellets

and I have NEVER cleaned out the barrel.

The gun runs 100 shots with a 7fps move over the crono and puts 8mm one hole groups at 54yds indoors.

The A.T. is still in place for now I am 12,000 shots down the barrel with out cleaning out the barrel.

The only thing I am doing is washing pellets and relube with petrolim jelly on a cloth like I did in 1992.

Try FP10 ??? HOLLY

Try FP10 ??? HOLLY

+1 on FP10, still on my original bottle after 15 years and I use it on my firearms, works a treat on dirty guns like 10-22's.... :)

well that did it spoke to soon filler valve jammed open today so gun would not hold air at all -swearword-.

NOW its at fix it mans for the filler valve strip and rebuild. mind better than going back to AA as I know they would mess it up..

Haha teach you for speaking too soon, can be good when sorted by other means.

Perhaps they should supply the bits for the owner to assemble themselves, cant be any worse.

Col where the EV2 had been blanked off locking the power adjuster, FTP thing is just nylon acting on power adjuster, or supposed to. Same with Anchutz a known problem the last 17 years.

They don't work very well soon as first threaded in and power adjusters usually work their way out. Perhaps reason AA don't bother adjusting since cant get cross pin out.

Just measured the actual stroke and I wasn't far off 2 years ago when thought close to 15mm, prehistoric Daystates, Rapids were about that in the 80's hence backward move. Figured out and perfected 1.4mm by 1992, only Fen come close at 3.5mm from the P70 onwards. Fairly sure EV was 1/4" stroke (6.35mm.)

So much so for the stupid overhanging ledge supposedly to keep rain off, hammers rusted up from late Feb and early March and been to AA since for repair.

Triggers already wearing and can see the sear edge rounded off, guns done max of 6 shoots. Yes it is same trigger as RN10 and EV2.

That's the kiddie and on the FTP there appears to be the additional pin I mentioned, blocking access to that grub screw.

There is a grub screw, and it may have a nylon insert, or it may not, depends on how Air Arms decided to assemble it. I can't see a way of removing the cross bar, so I drill through it if necessary. I now set the hammer to maximum velocity and adjust using the transfer port.

Jon, as you say the trigger unit is the same as all the previous incarnations, therefore the stroke is exactly the same also.

My thoughts on the pin were to drill the exposed end and either use an extractor stud (one of those -rubbishy- l/h thread things), or tap the hole, insert a suitably sized screw and somehow pull the pin out.

I suppose it would be just as easy to cross drill the pin.

I agree, and if it was my rifle, I would drill and tap it and drag it out somehow. But on other peoples kit, you have to do what is least likely to cause, or have the potential to cause damage.

Thing is that the locking pin doesn't do a very good job as I took out the hammer adjuster itself with no trouble?