Sign in to follow this  
holly

Tawd vale

I see your point Neil, but nonetheless if the GP series is supposed to be where the top shots do battle then let people earn the right to shoot it in the top shot session.

If you just want to shoot the same challenging course and have a good day out with mates then shoot the PM session, at least this gives you the opportunity to observe the top boys shooting round in the AM session, take photos etc.

Just allowing anybody in to shoot in with the top boy's session when they might only have bought a gun the previous week and then they shoot the GP, faffing around, slowing everyone up is a recipe for disaster in my book, sorry... :)

Still that's what having a discussion about these issues is all about, I'm saying my way is the right way, just that it is my point of view open for discussion. :)

How does a new shooter hold things up? We are all on a two minute clock.

If anything, the new shooter will be faster, as he won't be puffing powder, pulling reset strings to see which way the wind carries them and all the other things the more experienced shooter does in order to gain that last bit of information about the wind / course.

Who decides when a mere regional shooter like me is good enough to join the morning elite? Something BTW that I don't want to do, as unless my sponsor is prepared to pick up my hotel bill, only two GP's this year are close enough for me to drive to early enough to attend the AM session.

Also, how do you cope with an AM session containing ten shooters in AA and A, (after all B and C graders are not worthy of being considered elite) and 140 'prols' in the PM session.

I got enough knives stuck in my back the one time I qualified for the Showdown and others in the region did not. Can you imagine what would happen with those who do and do not qualify for the AM session.

why not just book into AM. or PM. on a first come base. So you have picked your group so if the weather changers to suit you or not tuff make the most of it and get on with it .

back in the day some used to get to the shoot for 8.30ish and sit all day to last few shooters to go .

Hopping the wind would drop off a big gamble sometimes payed off and sometimes fell flat.

so booking in on the AM or PM start you pick and hope you get it right on the day.

Firstly its BFTA policy not to turn anyone away and promote the sport.

Creating sessions to grading will see a downfall, how many travel with better or lower graded shooters, means an all day job 8am to 4.45 ish if goes quick.

I also will not travel 4hrs to get there by 8am on my tod.

Thinking about it numerous sports have their own grade comps but its an all day job.

Reason this has kicked off again after 3 months is because the AM had a rare raw deal at Tawd, boots on the other foot dismissed brushed under carpet when PM moaned in the past.

Its new or old seasoned shooters that can take excess time outside of the timed period and then constantly take the full 2mins. Can be looking in region of 6mins per lane for that shooter against the normal 3mins including string pulling.

Two shooters similar in a group that's 6 mins per lane excess, lane of 3 behind already waiting 6mins, next lane same again two groups queing up and so on every lane.

I can be quick ask Andy Kays worlds 2005, repetitive two shots within 20secs inc string pulling.

I don't think any sort of qualifying is a viable concept and how do they qualify or eligible to shoot that shoot. Many are not good enough for BFTA Champs/Inters weekend but have still took the GP honors in the past! Same with regions winter league many don't do or do so badly having the raw end of the deal with sessions.

GP's should be for anyone who wishes to shoot and shared by BFTA.

Any down turn is less revenue for the BFTA, not that they need it.

Worlds style timing I think works quite well... my bum shuffling is inside the 3 mins. Approach the lane, pick up clock, start clock sit down... ettiquette allows for some time to find the targets on the strings beforehand generally after a walk (spread lanes seems the style at the worlds), but everything else is done in the time. Even then 2:30 or less is the norm, and I think 2:30 should be fine.

We all have the internet, we all have a weather forecast. Every comp is a drive for me so it's up very early for AM, or a bit later for PM. I just choose how early I want to get up and go from there.

That's fine Rob as long as they don't tie the strings down like many clubs do.

May have changed now but worst over several years have been Tawd ie 10 yard target, string going laterally to next lane 15 yards then back total stupidity.

All I am trying to do is suggest a solution to the apparent problem which is over-crowding at the GP's, no one with the power to change thingsis are going to change it and I'm probably not going to shoot any so it's immaterial anyways.

Bottom line Col its a money spinner for the BFTA, the more that attend the more they rake in.

I am not against that.

Over crowding at gp? Must be 2 series? Once I have seen that since 2006, Mfta a couple of years ago as it was 1st round and everyone is keen first few Gp rounds. Hence best option is to start gp series in usually least attended areas, ie why I asked for swefta to host gp 1 this year.

I think for next year the Wftf timed from entering the lane is a worth a try, least for a year. As Rob says though I would cut it from 3 to 2 min 30, plenty of time and it would stop some very slow shooters.

My experience is that the slowest of shooters are generally the newer one who worry about things too much instead of getting on with it.

The slowest AA shooter I have ever shot with however is Calpin! Counted him down a few times. That however is experience of using the allotted time to read the lanes and changing wind conditions, seems to work for him!

I will say however he would easily make 2m 30s each lane.

As for Money spinner, if you take a look at the accounts I think that the Gp series does not actually make that much money for Bfta?

Agree with Jon, people moaning from Gp 2 am Were not moaning at gp 1 where the PM wind gust strengths were probably double that of am!

However, have to apologize to Jon as gp6 will see some crossed strings and possibly some of them will have to be located to trees in certain places.

Its the trade off of not having a Straight line shoot in a fairly small area. It will however be a varied and testing course, so I will be disappointed if your not there!

Pretty simple to avoid the crossed strings coming up when pulled across other lanes syndrome . run em under small branches , through eye lets and so on so bascically they are tied down . and then put one wind tell tale out per lan if poss . simple like sy-co ??? HOLLY

How about putting some thought in to the course layout, if its a necessity there are ways of planting targets crossing strings without interference and free.

I would love to see Barry Longbottoms thoughts on todays courses most likely one GP 2 yrs ago mentioned above he would have pulled 42 of the targets.

Other point putting 44 targets in 100 yards, from a lane see 20 odd targets, which one when strings tied down just show common sense. Numbers cant be read from a distance.

Likewise a southern GP some years back 2 kneelers string 10ft up tree to the right 8 foot in front carrying on to next tree still to right of lane then lose sight of string. Wheres the target, eventually must have been 5mins turns out low on ground way to left of lane. Its only the ones behind that know where to start looking seeing those in front.

Calps is one of the quickest, sure he came off first at Midland 2 yrs ago 2nd session some what 40 mins before the last, same with me 3rd session, last off even longer.

Theres a massive difference between using up the allowed current 2mins to shooting the lane with faffing about before clock starts and stops then up to 2 mins packing stuff up and getting up from a lane.

2 1/2 mins would be fine, but does that mean every lane has to have a ring or a box to trip over timed when foot set in. As long as I know where to start looking following string to target.

That's one of the issues with international timing Jon, when exactly to start the clock. Same as here, with shooters who know etiquette doesn't have to be written down there's no problem, but there's those that don't know, and those that want to do it to the letter. SA ran bits of carpet, which worked until they moved. Hoops? not really elegant, but hey ho.

CSFTA's GP is at capacity.

Think most that have done Showdowns don't have a problem with timings.

Very true.

I must admit, I was apprehensive of clocking in winter leagues, but it's working. Even come clubs are timing in their own leagues. Each to their own, but if we're packing them in, then the day is only so long. Clock on.

Very true.

I must admit, I was apprehensive of clocking in winter leagues, but it's working. Even come clubs are timing in their own leagues. Each to their own, but if we're packing them in, then the day is only so long. Clock on.

We've always clocked during Winter Leagues and it works making sure the shoot runs smoothly. I seem to remember a few people being clocked out years ago much to their consternation, but there you go, speed up or ship out.

Yes colin . i remember your missus saying you were a bit quick ??? HOLLY

Yes colin . i remember your missus saying you were a bit quick ??? HOLLY

Funny you say that and I wondered why your wife called you Polaroid.... :rolleyes:

The trouble with polaroids col . is they fade with age . but i will say the missus has not /?? HOLLY