Sign in to follow this  
holly

Tawd vale

The word on the street is that crashing and burning was the order of the day at tawd this morning ??? HOLLY

PS Simon say's any reasonable offer for his kit .

£10'and a pie... :)

Of course if Jason crashed and burned I might up the offer a tad, but I suspect he'll be rolling in about 10pm tonight... :)

Edited by Eaton Rifles

Hang on Col, Jase should be some where near in next 1/2hr, can arrange a welcome party.

Morning session top score 37 jack Harris, a group on 36 following many crashed and burned but was a tad windy to say the least.

Afternoon session was looking no push over but when I left there was a few five and six down with twenty to go.

Matt

Unfortunately I'm home and was in the am session just like all the others crashed and burned the conditions were the worst I've shoot in yet

I lost a lot of shoots by giving fare to much wind him to used to the EV2, still it was a very very good learning curve

Jason

P.S the course that was out for those conditions was unbelievable, must of been the most 50-55 yarder's I've ever seen

Unfortunately I'm home and was in the am session just like all the others crashed and burned the conditions were the worst I've shoot in yet

I lost a lot of shoots by giving fare to much wind him to used to the EV2, still it was a very very good learning curve

Jason

P.S the course that was out for those conditions was unbelievable, must of been the most 50-55 yarder's I've ever seen

Nice one Jason, did you manage to keep the wheels on the motor as well? :)

Still, at least you've broken the FWB cherry in real competition, how did you get on with the S&B as well?

Cooler today Col could have been 20 over 60 yesterday.

The S&B was great never ranged incorrect

Was just me

A lot of learning needed in that type of condition's

Sounded just up my street, old school FT no poke and hope.

top score this morning was 37x50

Went through chrono today at 754 and 748 quite low today but pellets were landing on the lines so wasn't worried.

Anyone else read low?

Matt

Top score in pm was two on 41 I believe.

Matt

751 for me

Every one I spoke to was 25 fps low (chrono) ?

Dull overcast so reads low, told them about it falls on deaf ears.

Bright goes other way so whats the point.

Rivi last year went through at 730 when 785 dull and overcast, when finished touch of brightening up 760 ish.

Same chrono used in our winter league not once has it registered some where near.

Sooner or later somebody must realise that the GPs are a series and they not need to put out such extreme courses . yes all very good for the mob going to the worlds . but how many is that ? what about the rest . will they be back and back to get there -bottoms- continually kicked . i don't think so . let us have more courses like GP1 . ??? HOLLY

Looking at the scores on the BFTA there was some seriously low scores from some big AA names.

There must have been some serious amounts of windage needed.

Keep saying it how many are proper AA when courses are laid out the way they are the last 5 years. Many old B would be A or AA.

Just means people cant shoot in wind which is what its all about.

5 years ago would have been shrugged off as the windy one, no more said.

A good course does not consist of loads and loads of long targets , windy or not . Avon Hawks looked long and was not . slight of hand and a good natural arena to shoot in made it challenging but not silly hard . wind is wind . this is expected . but the conditions plus the course lay out must be considered . apart from the distance how many shooters from down south will go back for more of the same ??? HOLLY

I guess the GP series is probably the hardest of the lot to win isn't it? A test over several different courses, conditions and weeks to see who the best is?

I've had this discussion numerous times, do you put out harder courses which some say might improve some peoples shooting in the long run or put out easier courses which may encourage people to come back for more. It's a very fine balance isn't it?..

@Holly a course of continuous 50+ yarders for me is simply boring.

Edited by NatS

I would tend to agree 20 as in half the course over 50 a bit much considering extra disciplines thrown in because courses got easier. 1/3 advisory is only 7 over 50 yards leaving 13 for small kills at short range that barely take no wind and 40mm up to 50.

I wouldn't expect anything in the gimme range sub 40 yards big kill, wind or no wind, hell throw 1" out to 55 same with standers and scrap the -rubbish- 60 and 70 yard discipline rule brought in recently. I would go further increase range to 60 with an advisory to keep to 55.

No weather forecast is accurate they all tell porkies so just set a normal well thought out course that hasn't been shot before.

Its a tough series probably the hardest in the world to do well and dare say a win there is worth more than a world title. It took me 1 1/2 GP series to get going then fell in place for 2008 when GP series were mostly worth shooting.

The way I see it is you have the best shots in the land attending and have to sort the men from the boys, if not good enough whos fault is that?

For years too easy courses have been put out by certain clubs to make the newbie not feel out of place ie no names and this club repeatedly used to do this 40 shot course 8 discipline leaving 32 seated, 27 would be in the gimmee range sub 40 yards mostly 31 to 35 yards leaving 5 targets 40 to 55 of which one target over 50. Same with standers and kneelers mostly sub 20 yards with one at 45 further than 90% of the sitters. What that meant some one who bought a 4x40 scope and zeroed the day before could score an easy 27+, C graders coming in with 35, B 37, A 40, AA 39 - Have one bad shot its all over and get a wild low percentage because 30 odd beat you by one point (now changed.)

Also cause for concern those that shoot same old course week in week out and score AA, elsewhere C! This does more harm than anything, certainly if hosting a comp, the only change is on the day but who are they kidding.

I just do it for fun like a decent well laid out course making best use of available land, not just thrown out as most comps are, if goes well great, more than likely it don't evolving in to a sharp exit hiding me face. Been through the phase over 19 years ago, miss one off the bag and beat yourself up, stop and think what you do it for. Answer should be enjoyment as were not pros.

It does not have to be long to be difficult.

Some years ago I shot the Welsh Masters, it was on top of a hill in windy conditions (aren't all Welsh shoots?). The first half of the course was all 45 to 55 yarders and all in the same orientation; I knew my rifle pretty well, got the wind right on the first target and then cleaned the lot, easy.

Yesterday, I shot the first 30 of the GP1 course, some tricky shots and some I messed up, but the most difficult shot was a mini kill at between 18 and 19 yards. Why difficult, well mainly because with a high mount scope and 30 yard zero, there is a fair old margin for dialing error, and this is before I have to shoot a mini kill. Yes, I got it, but the amount of missing paint all around the kill said that plenty did not.

A long shot in a windy field is a hard shot, but it's lazy course setting.

20% disciplines
20% reducers (35yrds and under)
20% 35-45yrds
20% 45-50yrds
20% 50-55yrds

Nats , WIN . who said anyting about winning it ? there are realistically about ten shooters who can win the GP series . maybe thirty who can win a GP . what about the rest of the competitors . paid there money for a good shoot . cos that is what they expect . but a drive home of 250 miles with a sub 20 score will not encourage them to stick there toe in the water again .??? HOLLY

20% disciplines

20% reducers (35yrds and under)

20% 35-45yrds

20% 45-50yrds

20% 50-55yrds

Rob, from what is being said it would appear that there were a lot more than 20% of the targets 50-55, not that it bothers me as once you have doped one at that range generally you're in the money for the rest.

There was a lot of long targets, very few gimme in fact can only think of one lane that was a gimme but given the conditions in the morning even that you were not 100% confident.

Reducers were uber difficult, I started lane ten, made way to bottom of course walked up past lane one to a standing lane, then kneelers and at next lane was z 50odd yards through rhododendron bushes and a reducer set up six feet at around 25 yards. when we got to this lane I was the fourth person to hit the first target, the reducer I gave three kills of wind the pellet cleared the kill and went s kill the other side.

I actually enjoyed the shoot, shot extremely well (no bad shots), it was nice to have to give serious wind on targets for a change. By serious wind I only gave the reducers an aimpoint on the faceplate all the full size kills excluding disciplines were way off plate. I never learnt anything from shooting as each shot was so different in the conditions.

Come lunch time the wind died down when a light shower appeared which annoyed a few of the morning shooters as score predictions were raised considerably. once shooting commenced for the pm session the wind started to get stronger and by the time shooters had done about twenty shots, when I was leaving, the wind felt like it was back upto the strength we had in the morning - it's difficult to say when you're not shooting to judge how different it is. Saying all this I watched Andy calpin shoot his first few lanes and he was 50% so it wasn't easy by any stretch of the imagination, just look at some of the names that fell foul in pm session.

All I will say is well done Dan eley and Keith gilyard, top shooting. Jack Harris was superb in the morning to do a 37 and it's a shame he doesn't get some reward for being top shot in the session.

Oh and well done tawd for the hard work, still my bogey course.

Matt

The S&B was great never ranged incorrect

Was just me

A lot of learning needed in that type of condition's

It's just experience mate and the best learning ground for it is winter league.

22 targets over 50yards was one pretty good estimation I heard of the course.

Glad I worked the day.

Sounds about right

Edited by dc1

I went for a look yesterday after a 23 year lay off .

For the most it looked like long range shoot .

Its a 40mm seated put it at 48 to 55yds no skill of the course builder .

To build a hard course is a skill to make it a challenge with out putting on a long range shoot.

this is just my thought Dave Hammill

The temptation is for everybody who shot there to say thank you a great course when it can be that it is not . then you get shouted down by those think otherwise . not an easy thing standing up to be counted ??? HOLLY