Sign in to follow this  
holly

GPs cost

Is it just me , or does £12 entry to a GP seem a bit much . i thought a tenner was about right . what with the cost of travel , i think a tenner is a decent amount ??? HOLLY

I don't think £12 is that expensive really for what you get, 50 shot course, great trophies (if you shoot well enough to get one), I know only to well how much work goes into putting on a GP.

The expensive part of doing GP's for me is the travel, plus hotels for the longer ones.

From the people iv'e spoken to, your either going to do all the GP's regardless of the distance or pick the ones closer to you. either way can't see entry fee of £12 being a deciding factor.

Just my take on it as someone who's shooting all of them.

Stop being a tight a r s e lol. You're just moaning because that extra £2 could go towards a burger

Edited by springboy

If he really needs a burger perhaps we could have a whip round for him? Lol! No, I reckon £12 isn't too bad these days. As you say it's travel costs that mount up.

I've got to say that the price of my first GP in many years did make me jump a bit, but as I am fairly unlikely to do more than a handful of GP's a year, I think I can afford an occasional £12.

Edited by NeilMac

Stop being a tight a r s e lol. You're just moaning because that extra £2 could go towards a burger

Your right Stan, tell you what Holly I will buy you a burger at the next GP I see you at.

Failing that Ian's doing the food for the Essex 50 so I will stand you a burger and cup of tea then.

got to look after our pensioners chaps, Holly's got scopes and rifles to sort out for the Essex 50.

cost is always a factor , most won't say anything BUT i will . so how much does the club get out of that graham ? from my point of view i am getting around the idea that 50 targets takes to long with three to a lane . how about a year of 40 targets to see how it goes ??? HOLLY

PS since less shooters travel . the 50 targets gives em more for there money bit , seems dead .

Edited by holly

50 targets makes it a bit more special than a normal Club 40 competition and gives better value to the £12. twenty years ago GP's used to be £6 so doubling in that time isn't bad.

Does the ferry knock you £12 a go Hols?

Sure me daughter paid £20 odd a journey discounted rate living at time in Cowes.

In 2008 one GP knocked me £54 fuel alone excluding wear and tare around £90. Just rear tyre wear alone 2 1/2p/mile that's £10, they don't run on fresh air as used to tell gaffer.

£12 was a shock, had to go back to car for another £2.

Millride got £550 and no one works any where near as hard after paying rent £375? +£1k in sarnies etc out of us for doing nowt.

We pay £ 40 odd quid a trip . personally that does not bother me once a month . but if 50 targets is so good . why are numbers dropping . the length of time it takes to get through a course must have something to do with it . ??? HOLLY

PS ETL at it's first GP took £ 600 odd quid . that might have been with the grub as well . cannot remember .

its 24p per target pay it and I am from Yorkshire L.O.L,

We pay £ 40 odd quid a trip .

if 50 targets is so good . why are numbers dropping .

the length of time it takes to get through a course must have something to do with it .

So you relish paying not less than £5.71/mile and a 40 min trip, perks of living there.

We went through this think in 2007, everyone was asked back to 40 or retain 50. Unanimous for 50 with literally a handfull opting for 40.

Get better value for money with 50 and makes the difference to travel or not. No way would have done Weymouth two years running, 400 mile round trip, Bisley, Tondu and MAD long jaunts that year when petrol 93p/ltr and near on double that for wear and tare.

A lot is the travelling even more so the stupid cameras.

The extra £2 entry thats only about 5 to 7 miles travel in the real world, barking for nothing.

As said repetitively for years, if people are travelling the hosting club has an obligation to provise the entertainment in exactly the same way paying guests pay for other entertainment. Meaning if they dont put the groundwork in above and beyond call of duty they shouldnt be bidding or even hosting the event. Anyone can slap 50 targets out with no thought that'll do attitude with little work as seen at many many places, best avoided.

holly its a lot for us old pensioners :iagree:

John yes i have heard this one said before . 50 targets is more of interest than 40 , if you are gonna travel . but it really does not hold water . you have to hit em no matter how many targets there are . i go for a quality course not a long course ., i for one like the shooters to be reasonably close together . it helps with the feeling of oneness in the comp . IE we all sink together so to speak . £ 12 you may not think is to bad . what happens when it goes to £ 15 . £ 20 ? for the regular shooters , £12 is not too bad . but what about someone just starting out . spent all his dosh on his kit . like to do a GP but bit dear , what with the travel . you Jon like all the regulars are bought and paid for . but new shooters are a rare thing now at GPs. specially those who come back and do it again .. the numbers speak for themselves . ??? HOLLY

PS tawd vale for me was £ 60 diesel . tenner entrance . £ 20 spending money . 3 ..am start . 7.00 am arrival . kip for i hour . do the comp . have a burger and coke . back in the car at 2.00 pm home at 7.0 pm .

But that's the national game holly, if you want to shoot local shoot local. I like the national comps and meeting people, yes it's costly but that's the price you pay.

£12 for entrance to a national comp in any sport is cheap, the entrance fee is nothing compared with the rest of the costs for travelling that and the two week wait worrying if you been caught by speed cameras.

Don't know how else we could do gp events?

Matt

John yes i have heard this one said before . 50 targets is more of interest than 40 , if you are gonna travel . but it really does not hold water . you have to hit em no matter how many targets there are . i go for a quality course not a long course ., i for one like the shooters to be reasonably close together . it helps with the feeling of oneness in the comp . IE we all sink together so to speak . £ 12 you may not think is to bad . what happens when it goes to £ 15 . £ 20 ? for the regular shooters , £12 is not too bad . but what about someone just starting out . spent all his dosh on his kit . like to do a GP but bit dear , what with the travel . you Jon like all the regulars are bought and paid for . but new shooters are a rare thing now at GPs. specially those who come back and do it again .. the numbers speak for themselves . ??? HOLLY

PS tawd vale for me was £ 60 diesel . tenner entrance . £ 20 spending money . 3 ..am start . 7.00 am arrival . kip for i hour . do the comp . have a burger and coke . back in the car at 2.00 pm home at 7.0 pm .

Good job you're retired then eh? :)

Matt . one o clock start and half past five finish is a long time to be hauling a heavy rifle about on a very hot day . i will say another good thing about avon hawks was there putting log type seats on every lane ??? HOLLY

Agree on that holly, also water stations around the course.

But regards costs, for me I view it as a cheap hobby, if I paid more I would expect more from it, better prizes for the guys winning across the grades would be my first thing, but what do you get as prizes for the top shots who already own and shoot 5 or 6k rigs?

Matt

It is a cheap hobby matt because it is run by amateurs , who do not charge for there services . i do like the idea of the clubs getting what can be life saving money . but there seem to be less clubs wanting to put on a GP . i don't think apart from ETL that there is a club in SEFTA who wish to put one on next year . so maybe the clubs should get more from the deal ??? HOLLY

Probably because theres too much work to do it right Dave, especially on a high maintenance ground.

Other disadvantage are the stupid rule changes and moaners, its supposed to be a field sport.

Creating built in permanent lanes shot week in week out, year after year leads to boredom and lack of desire, big turn off bad for the sport.

Quickest GP ever done Tondu 2008 with an hfter and Doz, start 1.05pm finished by 3.12pm. Plenty of others still in three finishing off at 5.20pm hows that work on same course, same start time.

Shooting the air rifle comps is cheap as chips

Back in 1996 shooting practical pistol comps, The graded comps were £25 and champs £35, Then the cost of ammo etc on top, I did work it out at about £65 for the graders and £80 for the championship matches and the petrol was much cheaper in those days around £2.40 a gallon

ETL are not going to hold another GP for a couple of years after all we feel that other clubs in SEFTA should get all the joys of holding GP's

Holly remember that SEFTA is expanding with beechwood now moved over in our region so hopefully SEFTA will hoist GP's every year in a verity of ground.

No way would have done Weymouth two years running, 400 mile round trip, Bisley, Tondu and MAD long jaunts that year when petrol 93p/ltr and near on double that for wear and tare.

Think about the travel costs the other way round too. Some of us live near Weymouth and have to fund the travel to the Midland and Northern grounds. Even though I have missed the GPs for a while, I would hate to see them fall, because the company is so great

No, £12 isnt too expensive. The thread can be closed now.

It is a cheap hobby matt because it is run by amateurs , who do not charge for there services . i do like the idea of the clubs getting what can be life saving money . but there seem to be less clubs wanting to put on a GP . i don't think apart from ETL that there is a club in SEFTA who wish to put one on next year . so maybe the clubs should get more from the deal ??? HOLLY

Do you really think the situation would change if, for example, thd club took the full £12? I don't know who gets what out of the entrance fee currently.

I think shooters want better courses, which in turn require more effort to put out. I don't know what the answer is but cost of entry is the least of my worries when it comes to competing at gp.

Matt

I think shooters want better courses, which in turn require more effort to put out. I don't know what the answer is but cost of entry is the least of my worries when it comes to competing at gp.

Matt

Matt,

Taken from the BFTA Minutes for AGM Nov 2014

8. Fees and Subscriptions for 2014. This item was taken after the Treasurer and Comp. Sec. reports. There was extensive discussion as to the merits and disadvantages of raising the price of the GP entries from £10 to £12 (hosting Club remains at £6). Team entries to be free (to encourage more teams to join in)

After GP1 I was talking to Mark and Christine, they were delighted with the income raised from the shoot and were really pleased that everyone had enjoyed the course.

Unfortunately the GP course is now disappearing, as it is reverting to two separate courses, one for FT and the other for HFT.

Do clubs lay on courses regularly at local (grass roots) level anymore or is FT now all about the circuit? Just curious.

£12 isn't much if you like that sort of thing and I hardly think those spending several grand on kit are the ones who will worry.

Regards to places not wishing to put on GP's - you'd have a more varied choice if the GP numbers weren't so vast. So you are limiting the number of clubs immediately who can host GP courses logistically speaking.

Do clubs lay on courses regularly at local (grass roots) level anymore or is FT now all about the circuit? Just curious.

£12 isn't much if you like that sort of thing and I hardly think those spending several grand on kit are the ones who will worry.

Regards to places not wishing to put on GP's - you'd have a more varied choice if the GP numbers weren't so vast. So you are limiting the number of clubs immediately who can host GP courses logistically speaking.

There are shoots every month around the SWEFTA region, probably much the same as everywhere else.

For every SWEFTA shooter that attends a GP, there are probably 20 to 30 others who don't choose to compete at a National level.

I can't imagine ETL made that much out of it, portaloo hire alone has to be a good 2/3 hundred quid? - plus Simon's fee :-)

I know that previously on non GP comps ETL has made a loss once or twice so its good when they make a profit - that way other less popular comps can still go ahead - that's just my take on it anyway.

Holly might prefer to pay less and shoot less targets because 3/4 hours in the hot sun plus a long drive home can feel a bit much, particularly if you have to get up early the next day.