Sign in to follow this  
Eaton Rifles

FTP900 clamp....

Think hes past that stage Col.

Holly will always embrace the lube Jon, even if he found the holy grail of pellets and started getting ctc's of .22 at 55yds, he would still have to lube 'just in case'. :)

Reminds me got to reset mine again for weekend but was getting a touch less than that at 52 yards straight from the tin. Last time saw that was in 1993 with first rifle I made.

The snipers are lubed colin . the best group of the day ( Benched and the best group i have ever got at 55 yards ) was one hole . i don't mean one big hole or a ragged hole . I MEAN ONE HOLE . that was five shots . BUT the next shot went half inch right . Why . if you can delete the varibles . by god you have a pellet . ??? HOLLY

The occasional flyer is why always used to size my pellets.

That said, I tried it when I started back and it made not the slightest difference.

The snipers are lubed colin . the best group of the day ( Benched and the best group i have ever got at 55 yards ) was one hole . i don't mean one big hole or a ragged hole . I MEAN ONE HOLE . that was five shots . BUT the next shot went half inch right . Why . if you can delete the varibles . by god you have a pellet . ??? HOLLY

The biggest variable is the oversized nut on the trigger... :)

Still sounds promising... :)

Saw three areas that achieved sub .22 edge to edge in a drift Sat, its always the 6th shot.

The pellet shot well today in the shutz but the 7.9s still outshot it . better than the exacts though /?? HOLLY

The pellet shot well today in the shutz but the 7.9s still outshot it . better than the exacts though /?? HOLLY

Lubed or not, try some FP10 in addition to see how they go, improved mine no end yesterday.

Prefer not to use lube if poss colin . it is a varible when all said and done . the old shutz barrel did not need it . but now it does . so this tells me it is worn out ??? HOLLY :poster_oops:

PS bit like croucher . :thefinger::cheers:

Holly, that is logic flawed in the extreme.

It may be that the Schutz didn't need lube in the past because the pellets you were using had a higher content of one metal or another which therefore caused fractionally less friction.

Agreed Neil, my FTP barrel is far from shot out unlike it's owner, but I can't dispute an improvement when I go from using unlubed to lubed pellets from the same tin.

Ah but the problem is that you nor i know the history of the rifle ? it may be that the previous owner cleaned it out with a phosphorus bronze brush after every shoot . thus wearing the barrel within a fraction of it's life . i came along and did the rest . maybe ? you will just have to wait till thursday to find out . ( exciting innit ) ??? HOLLY

Ah but the problem is that you nor i know the history of the rifle ? it may be that the previous owner cleaned it out with a phosphorus bronze brush after every shoot . thus wearing the barrel within a fraction of it's life . i came along and did the rest . maybe ? you will just have to wait till thursday to find out . ( exciting innit ) ??? HOLLY

Surely you can peer through the cobwebs down the barrel and see the state of the rifling, or can't you see any? :rolleyes:

Have no fear colin , do not trouble your self . all will be revealed this week . i am insufferable when i am right . and say nothing when i am wrong . ??? HOLLY

Have no fear colin , do not trouble your self . all will be revealed this week . i am insufferable when i am right . and say nothing when i am wrong . ??? HOLLY

By this week are you talking of your impending clearance at Meon this Sunday demonstrated in the prone position while leopard crawling from lane to lane?

I'm sure there would be a charitable whip round both for and against this... :)

Mr steyr will be at this shoot , to see if i can get my head around the wind it takes . i reckon a bisley with little or no wind with this rifle it would be a clearence if you couldhold your bum together . ??? HOLLY

Mr steyr will be at this shoot , to see if i can get my head around the wind it takes . i reckon a bisley with little or no wind with this rifle it would be a clearence if you couldhold your bum together . ??? HOLLY

A Bisley?

And there was I thinking those woods were full of snipers... :)

Ok back on topic, Wayne has finished weaving his master touch on the FTP and after a little bit of adjustment she's bang on 805fps with 2-3fps variation over the ten or so shots.

More importantly there is no poxy grub screw to undo as Wayne has blanked off the right-hand side with a long screw, so all my adjustment is now on the 'export' screw which was always more precise for some reason anyways.

The right-hand grub screw was completely -swearword-ed for some reason; was a sloppy as Hollie's in a bucket to the point where you could push it in the threads, then every time the rifle fired it moved out again increasing velocity by 2-3fps per shot. I would start on 790 and end up on about 825 by the end of a shoot.

Just need to get the scope back on, recenter in the mounts, try the cotton reel bell-end pellets of a thousand virgins and finally, maybe I'll be happy... :)

Hi Colin,

What length of screw was fitted to omit the RH adjuster grub screw and blank it off at the same time,

Cheers

Chris

Ok back on topic, Wayne has finished weaving his master touch on the FTP and after a little bit of adjustment she's bang on 805fps with 2-3fps variation over the ten or so shots.

More importantly there is no poxy grub screw to undo as Wayne has blanked off the right-hand side with a long screw, so all my adjustment is now on the 'export' screw which was always more precise for some reason anyways.

The right-hand grub screw was completely -swearword-ed for some reason; was a sloppy as Hollie's in a bucket to the point where you could push it in the threads, then every time the rifle fired it moved out again increasing velocity by 2-3fps per shot. I would start on 790 and end up on about 825 by the end of a shoot.

Just need to get the scope back on, recenter in the mounts, try the cotton reel bell-end pellets of a thousand virgins and finally, maybe I'll be happy... :)

Hi Colin,

What length of screw was fitted to omit the RH adjuster grub screw and blank it off at the same time,

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

At work atm, but from memory it was about 8-10mm, I'll check when I get in.

Ideally you want it just long enough to 'fill up' the grub screw channel without either leaving a hole or sticking out into the air flow.

Well Colin it look's like it is only one FTP user left on the forum ? how long before your's goes . Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm ??? HOLLY

Well Colin it look's like it is only one FTP user left on the forum ? how long before your's goes . Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm ??? HOLLY

Well, nine months and still with one FT rifle at least I see a project through and in that time you've had how many pass under your club-hammer.... Hmmm I think the forum would collapse under the weight if listed... :rolleyes:

Time to wise up colin , the writing is on the wall ??? HOLLY

PS and it say's LOSERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR .

PMSL.

The spirit is willing, even if the flesh is weak, bless him.

Ok I must have caught something off Holly at Meon as I'm fiddling and I don't mean in an Irish way.

I saw a couple of FTP's where people had taken the shroud off but left the 8 clamp in place so the barrel is lightly held purely by the o ring in the clamp.

It bothered me so I asked a few questions and it turns out that there is a school of thought that to 'lightly' i.e. O ring light, support the barrel exactly where AA have their clamp, aids accuracy by damping down vibration. So, the rambling on the other thread might have some legs after all, we shall see in the morning when I can try a test group. :)

I've got one as well and it's my only rifle. I have faith😄

Edited by chris58b

I've got one as well and it's my only rifle. I have faith

Ah Chris, that reminds me, the length of the threaded part of the bolt is 8mm... :)

I've got one as well and it's my only rifle. I have faith

Ah Chris, that reminds me, the length of the threaded part of the bolt is 8mm... :)

Thanks Col.

I still shoot a FTP ok no 8 clamp no shrouds and a Rohan stripper Fitted