Sign in to follow this  
Eaton Rifles

FTP900 clamp....

I still shoot a FTP ok no 8 clamp no shrouds and a Rohan stripper Fitted

I've been using it in declamped guise for a few weeks, but after all the debate over vibration, it got me wondering about using the clamp but no shroud so that the barrel is effectively damped from the o ring inside the clamp. Without the shroud, the barrel hole is over-sized anyway, so the support is minimal which in theory should be perfect.

I also had time to look at why my clamp had not sat square before I removed it and found out that AA had only used a retaining bolt on one side and the pins were in the wrong hole which effectively twisted the clamp.

I've now used two bolts, one each side and everything is perfect with the reservoir sitting central in the clamp instead of hard up against one side as AA had assembled.

Considering that two of the four barrel bolts were the wrong size, effectively doing nothing and now this on the clamp assembly it's really a bit poor for what is supposed to be a flagship target rifle.

Still, the proof is in the pudding as Holly would say, so once it gets light I'll try a few groups and then fill up and try a few more and see if things are better or worse.

If worse then I'll simply remove the clamp again and go bare-back again... :)

Ok, a few test groups this morning after refitting the clamp properly.

First off I was more than surprised to find that the poi hadn't changed at all from it's declamped configuration.

Secondly, the initial groups looked very, very promising and even the snipers had been reigned in with their odd fliers.

I'm still at a loss to understand why an unclamped barrel would be so variable, but it would seem that Jon is right and that an FTP barrel at least, requires the steadying of an o ring support to aid accuracy.

Did a fill up from 120 Bar to see if it had any effect on poi and nothing, didn't move at all unlike previously. So all good stuff.

In short I would say that if you want to improve the FTP to be competitive then the clamp does seem to be an essential part of the consistency and accuracy, but only if you ensure it is fitted correctly so that you can slip some card between the clamp and reservoir on all sides. If your connected U section bar is connected with only one bolt and one pin, find another bolt and put in the the other side so that the rail is supported on both sides equally.

Failure to do this 'may' cause the rail to twist which makes the clamp bear against the reservoir on one side. This was how my rifle was from new.

So it would appear that in a rush to get orders out and revenue in, some FTP's were mis assembled or poorly put together, yeah, way to go Air Arms.

We asked little Jack about his when we were at the Euro's, he said he had a bad shoot or two with it, decided he had more confidence in his EV, so went back to that.

So it would appear that in a rush to get orders out and revenue in, some FTP's were mis assembled or poorly put together, yeah, way to go Air Arms.

We asked little Jack about his when we were at the Euro's, he said he had a bad shoot or two with it, decided he had more confidence in his EV, so went back to that.

I would imagine they're not over-staffed at the AA factory and with the range they have they are probably chopping and changing trying to meet orders which then also leads to short cuts being made. Pity really as I've always felt the FTP had the same accuracy as the Pro-Target but that it needed wringing out of it.

Funny about little Jack as I remember seeing promo shots of him with an FTP in 2013, then nothing. So I suppose as you say he tried it, didn't like it and stuck with his EV.

If it is a stock FTP, i.e. AT & shroud fitted then it's not surprising he's moth-balled it.

John Chopping tried mine at the Meon shoot the other week and remarked how good the trigger was, that's a few months worth of small adjustments to get that... :)

I think you are right Colin, there is a fine rifle in there just trying to get out.

Steve Franklin tried one with the barrel free floated and said it was the best grouping rifle at 55 yards he had ever shot.

I think you are right Colin, there is a fine rifle in there just trying to get out.

Steve Franklin tried one with the barrel free floated and said it was the best grouping rifle at 55 yards he had ever shot.

Well, if it can keep the same accuracy at 55yds that I'm seeing at 30yds on Sunday at Springfield I'll be a very happy chappy. I'm especially happy that it seems to have cured the odd fliers as they were doing my head in with their randomness.

Been there, done that, torn the hair out.

Col a modded put right FTP was used to attain 9th at the Euros, think thats the best placing for one of them.

Free floated, back vent ultra short silencer, inbuilt tuner and junk the -rubbish- guage and quick fill.

Surprised the triggers lasted that long Col, everyone come across has had severe sear wear in no time. A certain dimension is out.

Incidentally its the same trigger exactly as Johns RN10 but his uses better made parts.

Young Jack certainly improved some when went back to the superior in every way EV2, won just about everything.

Surprised the triggers lasted that long Col, everyone come across has had severe sear wear in no time. A certain dimension is out.

Incidentally its the same trigger exactly as Johns RN10 but his uses better made parts.

Young Jack certainly improved some when went back to the superior in every way EV2, won just about everything.

I have backed the hammer right off to save sear wear; from the factory it was wound in so much it was almost bound up but then that was to try and off-set the port adjusters being wound right in. Retarded set up if ever I saw one.

Anyone who thinks they can compete with a stock one is in for a disappointing ride... :rolleyes:

Vinny who has done rather well with his modded FTP mentioned today that there will soon be an aftermarket filler end that dispenses with the mock mouse gauge but more importantly uses a bog standard push on valve with a cap.

This is good news as every time I fill up I feel as if I'm playing Russian roulette with those tiny little o rings and their tendency to shave bits off that then get lodged in the regulator... :)

the T filler would be good as it has a filter built in to stop the -rubbish- getting in ,

Would the T filler off the EV2 fit ???

Stand corrected Si.

Its the same -rubbish- filler as later EV2, had they not made them idiot proof derived form the original 23 years ago there wouldnt be a problem. Could be worse the opposite arrangement used by Titan.

Same tube so earlier end plug and dust cap wil fit. Some weird thread size or undersize more like, got a stop no go guage.

The first rifle I had that sported this 'probe' system was my HW100, but for some reason it works better on that rifle as the probe slides in easier. On the FTP it's a pig to line up perfectly without it snagging on an o ring.

Stupid arrangement that is designed to fail, a simple, robust, push fit end and cap would have been easier to make and keep everything out.

My BSA Gold Star SE has the same probe type filler... but a different size of course as manufacturers can't possibly settle on a standard which means we don't have to carry about fill adaptors for each rifle.

Like the FTP, even with well lubricated O rings, inserting the probe is still a bit of a dodgy process, given that a rifle complete with scope and accessories is neither light nor easy to to get into exactly the correct position to push the probe into the cylinder.

I am not entirely sure why manufacturers think we (the buying nerdies) want an almost impossible to read without my glasses (which are in the car) pressure gauge on the end of the cylinder, especially as there is a steady cottage industry in removing them and replacing them with the robust and simple filler valve that has been reliably used for year.

Yet another case of features over function.

Yep agreed Neil, I guess there isn't a simple way to show the state of a reservoir except by sticking it on the end where the filler should go.

I'm sure I've seen a gauge on the side of a rifle somewhere, but what would be better is a small radial window something like this which I've just done:

End%20cap.jpg

This way everything is kept out of the way under the cap.

Daystate with the GP had the best idea for those who have to know how much air is in cylinder it registers on the lcd with temp etc.

Its only the new breed and foreigners who must have a guage but we did just fine for 30 odd years and never ever ran out.

I came up with that idea in 92 on a JB Titan then on first air rifle made in 92. 1/2" diameter stub sticking out, quickest quick fill will ever encounter and no chewed up o rings. AA gone larger and put that T on the end to make it idiot proof.

If you can get Stalkers site up theres one on the front page in brass circa 2001 i made in 98 for Adrian.

Opposite arrangement was first seen by Titan in 93, around 17 years later by HW, Steyr, FX and so on all different diameter and worst quick fill of the lot.