Sign in to follow this  
holly

The Shutz Barrel

Right after talking with Jon about this . i decided to make a test with the new shutz . the problem being that the old shutz had decided it did not like 8.4s . would only shoot 7.9s expresses . filled the junior cylinder on the new shutz to 200 bar . checked power 777FPS and i got 70 shots at that speed . benched at 52 yards i got all 70 shots into an inch and a half ( would have been better but i lost concentration at the end ) conclusion . no flyers , minimum wind drift . ( between 5 and 8 miles an hour . all shots aimed at a dot ) inside left of kill would have took down all 70 targets if seperate . next up the old barrel , when i have time . ??? HOLLY

Inch & half? That's almost 40mm... that doesn't sound too good. 1/2 an inch maybe.

What shape was the group?

Not bad for 70 shots at 52 yards . the target is up a 6 foot pole in the wind and the wind at carisbrooke is never consistent . group was about half inch high and a inch and a half long . i don't think on this type of shooting that you can keep concentration . once i added the muzzle brake it got better on 5 shot strings . most of them touching . but this was done to see if any flyers of the type that i get with the other barrel ??? HOLLY

PS although i said that if i had stayed in the left of the kill i would have got all the hits in the kill . that is not strictly true as the wind was backing as well . so some of the spread was down to the wind changing direction .

Anyway Rob , i thought you were deserting the sinking ship here ??? HOLLY :cheers:

PS if so take Croucher and Pattle with you please . :iagree:

Unfortunately Holly you really need to do this type of test in the same conditions with both barrels. You should have shot fewer shots, say ten max. with one barrel, then quickly swapped in the other barrel and then shot another ten at a different dot. Only then can you get a realistic comparison.

In an ideal world you need 55yds indoors with the rifle securely clamped and the barrels swapped and card moved to give a different group. Keeps the variables to minimal, the biggest one being your good self. :)

Edited by Eaton Rifles

Colin it is like swapping one woman for another in the dark ? so to speak . you can instantly tell the difference . having used this barrel for years . i know exactly what it can and cannot do . even the sound of the pellet hitting the target is now different . shutzes always seem to hit harder . more whack than pat so to speak ??? HOLLY

Getaholdofthatboys

So is the plan to test the old Schutz as is? Or to put the new barrel on the old gun and rerun the test?

BTW, I know it is not 'scientific' but I do understand where you are coming from with this test, as when recently testing pellets I could tell by the third shot of a five shot string if the pellets were working for me or not.

I know the action on this new Shutz is good and consistent . so my old barrel in next . then maybe the other way around . both barrels in the pupped shutz ??? HOLLY

PS as said the remote trigger broke . wondered where i would get another . looking closely it is a cut down shutz trigger with a ball end for the remote screwed into it . got one from intershoot £ 15 . by the way many thanks to S pattle for the gift of a rear pin which came out of the new shutz into the mud . could we find it . noway hosay .

Bit of superglue works wonders Holls.

What is it brass or plastic or both?

Bit of superglue works wonders Holls.

What is it brass or plastic or both?

Jon, do you think the material even comes into the equation with Holly? :)

The balls can be brass or nylon. The other half better in nylon but does have friction available from model shops.

Seems to be a casting Jon . no got a new one to try to convert ( well not me myself ) no superglue for me . after all i might be vying for the world title and it comes unglued at the shoot off ( or not ) us top shot's have to careful of our reps ??? HOLLY

Colin please , only serious matters are discussed on MY threads ??? HOLLY

Colin please , only serious matters are discussed on MY threads ??? HOLLY

It's ok Holly, you can open up about the land mine 'incident'.... :)

Nothing that was lost colin was needed and i can still play the pianno ??? HOLLY

Nothing that was lost colin was needed and i can still play the pianno ??? HOLLY

...and that after slipping your bayonet under your boot onto the cap and weighting with a handy sandbag.... :)

Right going out tomorrow is the barrel from my own shutz but on the new action . will it shoot 8.4s ? it only shoots 7.9 express at the mo . who knows . all will be answered tomorrow . maybe perhaps or not ??? HOLLY

Are both barrels the same length? I'm assuming they are similar as they are both 2002 actions.

It will be really interesting to see what happens, as this will go along way to settling whether your old barrel is tired out (ahhh, poor old thing).

Of course, if it shoots ok..... no, let's not go there.

Are both barrels the same length? I'm assuming they are similar as they are both 2002 actions.

It will be really interesting to see what happens, as this will go along way to settling whether your old barrel is tired out (ahhh, poor old thing).

Of course, if it shoots ok..... no, let's not go there.

Problem with barrels is that if anschutz are like other manufacturers then they use whatever barrels they can get hold of at the time, so it may well be that they are different. Then of course there are the tinkerers who swap stuff out... :)

Didn't Anschutz used to make their own barrels?

I remember the lands were a different shape, with a slot along the length of the castellations, so they made less of an impression into the pellets.

Yes shutz make there own barrels . my standard is that at 35 yards five shots will go into 15 mil . the new rifle will do that easily with it's own barrel . will it do it with the old barrel ? if it does then i have a sneaking suspician as to what it might be ??? HOLLY

Edited by holly

I know it's only a comparison, but that's not a very tight criteria Holly. My Walther will do 15 to 20mm groups off the knee at 55 yards all day.

Regardless, I'm interested to hear the results of all this.

I'm pretty sure that they used to make their own barrels, but lately they buy them in and rebadge as it were, with the prime culprit being CZ which is no bad thing in my book. :)

Not to be i am afraid . after five shots the rear pin broke / fell out and we could not find it . ordered a metal detector . gotta find these for my piece of mind ??? HOLLY

Not to be i am afraid . after five shots the rear pin broke / fell out and we could not find it . ordered a metal detector . gotta find these for my piece of mind ??? HOLLY

Sounds like you need to back off the adjuster a bit.

Don't have that problem with the newer 11 year old models.

My 9015 just turned up by the way.

Not the same rifle colin ? come on Jon a Picture of said ??? HOLLY

Just an old Anchutz in a new stock.

Just an old Anchutz in a new stock.

Well, if it's taking up valuable space Jon, I suppose I can always be persuaded to take it off your hands.