• Announcements

• DaveL

VCR Bill

Since the introduction of the "latest" VCR bill on 1st October 2007, sales of AIRGUNS (including replicas) AND MAJOR COMPONENTS (barrels, cylinders etc.) by DEALERS is restricted to a face-to-face transaction.   Please ensure you are familiar with the changes brought about due to the VCR act, which may be viewed on the BASC website.   BASC and ACPO have produced a guide to the VCR act in PDF format, which avoids legalese and is very understandable. See HERE.   AirGunForum members must ensure their transactions conform with current legislation before posting.   An inter-dealer network to facilitate the continuation of mail order business is being established by Portland Jon. Details are HERE or direct to his website HERE.
    • AirGunForum

Editing your posts

The forum's EDIT function has been changed. After making your post, you will have 30 minutes to review and edit it. After that, only Admin will be able to make edits.   Should a post NEED to be edited afterwards, email to admin@airgunforum.net the change details, the URL of the thread it applies to and if appropriate, the reason for the change. Don't forget to identify yourself and do use your registered email address to make contact. All this is necessary, as admin must be able to identify who you are and that it is your post that you wish to edit.   Admin. will make the edit if it appears necessary. Note, if you want to change something that could easily be achieved by adding a further post to the thread, you will be expected to do it.   Forum staff generally view new posts added to threads since their last visit. If a "for sale" item has been sold or a wanted item has been obtained, just add a post to the thread and it will usually be noted and the thread title will be edited appropriately. This saves members' time wading through posts that are effectively "dead".   DaveL
Sign in to follow this  
Matt

Lightweight pellets...

For those interested in light weight pellets, there's some interesting new (old) ones coming out 7.9 grains...

Hopefully be here in next month or so.

Matt

I think you have to be lucky with your barrel matt to shoot the lightweights . it is getting consistency out of em i find . tomorrow i will be pushing the 7.5s snipers out of the old shutz barrel . this barrel seems to like light weights . we will see . who makes the new ones ,matt ? not crossman i hope ??? HOLLY

, still worth a try as they might show promise.... :grin:

Which is more than you will col ??? HOLLY

, still worth a try as they might show promise.... :grin:

Which is more than you will col ??? HOLLY

I'll remind you of that as I pluck a crisp fiver and plump burger from your grasping fingers at GP2... :grin:

Looks like it is gonna be sniper mediums after testing to day . also the chocolate chip biscuits were tested to destruction . oh you missed it . what a shame ??? HOLLY

PS was challenged to a kneeling comp by steve and melv . on a 55 yarder . needless to say i knocked it down first shot to win said comp .

It was open class Jon ??? HOLLY

Back on light pellets, I'm currently testing some 'green' pellets for an article. I've got some RWS Hyperdomes and Baracuda Match green on order, but testing at 25 yards in two different rifles, so far they have all gone very well, much better than expected.

Once I have the whole set, the proper stuff starts with chronos, control groups, measured distances and all that, but what I have shot so far has pleasantly surprised me.

Mind, at 5 gr, some of them don't carry much punch.

You should be able to get over 1000fps and still be legal with those light pellets but with a low BC it's whether they can keep that speed as the further they go. Be interesting to see how they go

Yes, 1000fps and the impact force of a speeding butterfly.

To be fair, the accuracy has been spot on so far, but that's only at 25 yards. I want to do initial testing at 30, then 45 (HFT) , then 50 and depending on how that goes out to 55.

Whether a 5grn pellet has enough energy left to knock down an FT target at 55 yards we will have to see. It's not really what they are designed to do, but if it can, I'll be impressed.

It was open class Jon ??? HOLLY

That's the 'open to abuse' class, right? :grin:

Well col you should know about abuse dear boy ??? HOLLY

Yes, 1000fps and the impact force of a speeding butterfly.

To be fair, the accuracy has been spot on so far, but that's only at 25 yards. I want to do initial testing at 30, then 45 (HFT) , then 50 and depending on how that goes out to 55.

Whether a 5grn pellet has enough energy left to knock down an FT target at 55 yards we will have to see. It's not really what they are designed to do, but if it can, I'll be impressed.

If they're pushed along at 1000fps they have about 4fpe at 55yds, so enough to do the business. 8.4's on the other hand have nearly 7fpe left so you're not going to get many splits with the lighter pellets for sure.

I would guess that pushing such light pellets near to transonic is going to cause them to do very weird things, but only testing can verify for sure.

Transonic colin ? i knew you were into transvestites . well we learn something every day on here ??? HOLLY

Transonic colin ? i knew you were into transvestites . well we learn something every day on here ??? HOLLY

I leave all that to you and your buddies on the Rock. Don't worry we know what goes on over there once the drawbridge gets pulled up at night.... :grin:

That is right colin . we watch all you townies getting up to your tricks ??? HOLLY

Right back on topic and it would appear that 'certain' light pellets do show promise. All very hush hush but it would seem that under certain conditions, these little blighters can perform.... :grin:

Probably more to do with the design/shaping.

Take jsb quite a few totally different visibly though labelled same pellet.

Mick Dawes always stated .17 was best calibre.

The new old pellets are now out, webley mosquitoes made on the original dies.

Matt

I used to use those in my HW100. Back in the days when I could shoot better. Used to have to get them a sleeve at a time from young mans in Gt Yarmouth. Very good they were too, right the way out to 55 yards

Funnily enough John down the club had a few old mossies he was putting through his Rapid. I tried some at 55 and with a light wind they literally hit under the crosshairs. I've always been a bit wary of the light pellets since the Expresses showed promise but ultimately failed to deliver in a wind.

FOOLS GOLD colin . i lost more comps cos of 7.9s . when you think they ought to go straight , they don't . when you think they ought to move , they don't . leave em to the poke and hope boys ??? HOLLY

Whats these Crossmans or JSB.

Dies wear out, so if using the old dies I would want to try 5 pellets from that batch before buying.

The new old pellets are now out, webley mosquitoes made on the original dies.

Matt

Where from?

Highland outdoors.

Matt

Neil Hague been using them for years.

Matt

Just JSB Express or any other brand name.

Whats these Crossmans or JSB.

Dies wear out, so if using the old dies I would want to try 5 pellets from that batch before buying.

Tight git ??? HOLLY

I have sent off for two tins to try . my shutz likes lubed 7.9s so we will see ??? HOLLY

PS i wil send you five pellets if you like Jon .