• Announcements

• DaveL

VCR Bill

Since the introduction of the "latest" VCR bill on 1st October 2007, sales of AIRGUNS (including replicas) AND MAJOR COMPONENTS (barrels, cylinders etc.) by DEALERS is restricted to a face-to-face transaction.   Please ensure you are familiar with the changes brought about due to the VCR act, which may be viewed on the BASC website.   BASC and ACPO have produced a guide to the VCR act in PDF format, which avoids legalese and is very understandable. See HERE.   AirGunForum members must ensure their transactions conform with current legislation before posting.   An inter-dealer network to facilitate the continuation of mail order business is being established by Portland Jon. Details are HERE or direct to his website HERE.
    • AirGunForum

Editing your posts

The forum's EDIT function has been changed. After making your post, you will have 30 minutes to review and edit it. After that, only Admin will be able to make edits.   Should a post NEED to be edited afterwards, email to admin@airgunforum.net the change details, the URL of the thread it applies to and if appropriate, the reason for the change. Don't forget to identify yourself and do use your registered email address to make contact. All this is necessary, as admin must be able to identify who you are and that it is your post that you wish to edit.   Admin. will make the edit if it appears necessary. Note, if you want to change something that could easily be achieved by adding a further post to the thread, you will be expected to do it.   Forum staff generally view new posts added to threads since their last visit. If a "for sale" item has been sold or a wanted item has been obtained, just add a post to the thread and it will usually be noted and the thread title will be edited appropriately. This saves members' time wading through posts that are effectively "dead".   DaveL
Sign in to follow this  
NeilMac

HFT Arms Race

I've been involved with SAR / HFT in SWEFTA since the popularity of the old dump shoots dropped off and people wanted to do a bit more shooting after they had finished their FT round.

I remember approaching the BFTA about putting a set of rules and national series together "oh no, we don't want to be involved in THAT" was the reply.

I remember when what is now the UKHFTA was set up and the abuse thrown at FT'er for being elitist snobs with racing scopes and rifles, and I see the top notch kit that has replaced the S400 and Daystate Huntsman that were originally used by them.

I understand that it is inevitable when people get into competition with one another and when they start to take that competition seriously and when they want to do as well as they can that they will buy the best equipment for the job, but here's the puzzle to me, and it is just an observation, I've just seen a wanted advert for a 10 mag Leupold Mk4 and it made me wonder why is so much money being spent on scopes for HFT? Can a £600 10 mag Sightron really give a competitive edge over my £220 Burris Elite 10x42?

They bought then cos they can Neil . plus pride of ownership . a bit of one upmanship of course . ??? HOLLY

PS perhaps colin should try HFT . he has not done much in FT ? more cake anyone .

That might be it Holly.

What cake you got?

farm house . with a mug of Tea ??? HOLLY

I'd prefer a coffee if I may.

No problem as long as colin is not coming too ??? HOLLY

PS only cake for two .

I ignore the white noise form the Rock, I think the old radar over there is interfering with the signal....:rolleyes:

Anyways, yes, HFT kit, well, Ronnie who collectively handed our butts to us Sunday shoots an ISP as his main rifle, the FWB 800 FT / Optisan 10x44 as his backup rifle, not much change out of £5k there...

Grandad was sniffing around his ISP . but no Sell ??? HOLLY

What was Ronny's score Colin, don't recall it was anything special.

What was Ronny's score Colin, don't recall it was anything special.

I wasn't paying that much attention but I think it was only a couple, maybe three he missed total. He missed Scarey as he didn't know his mil-dot for 55 but saw the hit so adjusted for all the other long ones.

God help us if he ever decided to come over form the Dark side....:grin:

The rifles I understand, for minikills at 45 yards you want the most accurate rifle pellet combo you can find, but once you get over a few hundred pounds, for a 10 or 12 mag scope surely the advantages are all in the build quality rather than the optics.

£279 buys you the Viper connect , AMD ret . which i am told is the perfect HFT scope ??? HOLLY

Well he didn't miss only a couple or three, thought I saw his card with 28 on it.

I was top on 34

Dave Hat and Ozzy 33

Don't recall anyone else in the 30's

Well he didn't miss only a couple or three, thought I saw his card with 28 on it.

I was top on 34

Dave Hat and Ozzy 33

Don't recall anyone else in the 30's

he's right col

Weird, Barry was marking his scorecard but he only missed a few and even then they were all over 50, certainly not 12 lol.

Not forgetting before it really kicked off Fters taking a lot of proverbial from the .22 brigade.

About 11 years ago .177 all the rage in HFT and became accepted.

It only took them 11 years to figure what a modern Anchutz was.

Theres some with serious modded 10M P800X with Marchs on top best part of £5k+

Considering back in 1997 it was supposed to be Basic kit to promote selling lots of cheap rifles by the trade. I got turned away at one event in 2000, "what gun you using" told em home made No2, "err its pneumatic and an FT gun", said tell me whats the difference, they then bowed down to go on to scope get out clause max 12 mag. What narks me is the land used I bent over backwards to develop, if wasn't for me they wouldn't have had a shoot and to be blatantly told you cant shoot even the dump shoot or long range or their course with my score not counting is way out of order.

We hosted an hft shoot think last year, all got on great until they knew you were FT then looked down on you. Other way round we as FTers welcome hfters being rather one sided. Problems inbred.

We have FT and HFT shoots at each league competition, but the HFT is shot to SWEFTA rules, which I helped draft in about 2000 / 2001.

I think HFT is great fun, but it is the March / Sightron / Leupold scopes I just don't understand, other than pride of ownership, which makes sense.

At Springfield we shot many a joint comp . one FT . one HFT .and some were very good shots . we slagged them off and they slagged us off . all in good humour ??? HOLLY

Strange lot. All crawling around in the mud 😂

Strange lot. All crawling around in the mud

Last time I shot at Rochford with the trusty HW100 they had a Club comp in the rain. One shot in particular was about 40 yds with the peg under a large fallen tree. Due to the bend in the tree the target was clearly visible underneath and everyone before me elected to lie in the large, muddy puddle using the peg to steady the rifle and with lots of encouragement to wriggle around and get absolutely coated in mud.

My turn, so I simply laid the rifle over the fallen trunk, jammed my foot against the peg and took the target. Cue mummerings of discontent and shaking of heads until one turns round and says that I 'cheated'.

'Cheated you say?' I replied, 'how so?'. 'Everyone else got in the puddle' came back, 'Everyone else is stupid' I chucked back, which didn't go down too well but we were near the end of the course so I didn't give a damn anyways.

Now I don't mind getting wet and muddy for the cause, but to deliberately wriggle around in the mud when there is a perfectly viable alternative just seems dumb or is it me? :grin:

We don't have any rules regarding position other than standers and kneelers. Some choose to lie prone, I don't and funnily enough neither does the guy who wins pretty much every shoot.

Nearly gave it a go last September, know i would be alright at it.

Turning point is i cant be arsed to shoot anything sub 40 yards, no interest and have always regarded that as mere plinking. Even worse the close range ones small kill or not just aint for me. You dont get the same wind drift with these ranges, its after 45 yards things start to go wild and entirely a different ball game.

Not knocking it know a lot of grub hunters who are great lads with the banter dished out and think thas what i would do it for when i have a free slot.

A club member who shot for Wales from Chester in the just gone 'Worlds' name only uses a certain March on 14mag and able to see what others cant plus slightly bigger image.

Fellow established FT club and team member was in top 7 or 8 in his first part season.

Considering your showing at the Euros you're probably right especially if you have a tree or two to lean against...:grin:

12 mag max in SWEFTA, and targets out to 55 yards.

12 mag max in SWEFTA, and targets out to 55 yards.

You boys do it differently down there, must be that cesium in the water....:grin:

We had our rules first, so everyone does it different to us....yes it probably is the cesium and the radon gas too.

It is all those worsels they bash in WSM ??? HOLLY

I think hft originally started in the central region as a side shoot at the ft winter leagues, it was out to 55yds in those days, when I started it was a stand alone winter league out to 45. In those days you shot it how you could see it , 45 yard kneelers and standers were the norm, now the current series is not worth opening a tin of pellets for, its sad watching people crawling around in the -rubbish- for a 20yd full size kill.

For me the greatest Hft I ever did was the ukahft extreme series, 8mm out to 25, 15mm out to 45 and 25mm out to 55. A 25mm head shot at 55yds on top of a hill in wales in December in a gale is a shot I'll remember for life!!

Sadly died a death after 2 years as people would rather see a high score next to there name on a forum than actually push there selves.

Edited by Dave Hat

Bring back the extreme series. Great fun and a proper challenge. :)