Sign in to follow this  
holly

Messing with a Steyr .

Messing with a steyr today to see if it was OK . i had forgotten my pellet probe ( steyrs like probes ) anyway all i had was an allan key in my pocket . using the short end to push it in . i tried pushing it all the way in till it stopped ( about an inch ) . it seemed ? to group slightly better . although it was windy and it might just be wishful thinking . anybody else like to try it confirm whether or not it works .??? HOLLY

Use the ball end of one of those cocktail stirers you get at the pub. With an Alan key it's impossible to get it in the depth everytime

I have one of grandad's pellet probes . but did not have it with me . the point i am making is , does seating the pellet deeper in the barrel give some advantage over just thumbing it in . or just seating it just into the barrel lands . ??? HOLLY

PS Old tim findus used to always seat his pellets with a probe ( one of those cheap rubber things the comics gave away )

depends on the pellet...

strangely enough and the barrel

some steyrs are tight but then allow a deep seating, others are loose but resist.

i'd do it indoors and go from there.

I always found my steyr barrel extremely good grouping, it was just keeping it that way for more than a 100 shots that was difficult.

This a old well used LG 100 . it does not have the origional barrel . i think it is one off of a 110 .the whole rifle looks well used . having said that it has the roller bearing on the cocking lever . the forward barrel support has been drilled out to relieve it ( nothing touching ) and it has the external power adjuster . so some one has loved it . but not for a while . grease inside ( cleaned out and everything polished ) trigger had a bit of creep ( got rid ) the barrel just for once when i cleaned it out tonight , was not mucky . bout the same as my shutz , and i had put a lot of shots through it . what brought me up short for a while was that when i tried sniper mediums through it . although it was very , very windy . it just did not take hardly any wind . EUREKA . but no , the windage was good . the groups were -excrement-e . poo , poo and bums . just for a mo there , i was handing little jack his ass . oh well such is FT ??? HOLLY

Holly:

"just thumbing it in"....

​When thumbing it in, the pellet's last section of the skirt seats just touching the rifling, it engages the rifling with the increasing air pressure, and unless toy are resizing the skirts, the skirts vary just enough to create inconsistencies in velocities...Using a probe assure that the pellet is seated deeper into the rifling but then the probe would have to have a "stop" of some kind for assuring equal seating distances every time...

I put a permanent SS probe in my LG-110 and it works very well...Mine is 3/16" long from the front of the bolt. Installing it is not a difficult task, drill the bolt, thread the bolt & probe and attach it...Don't use glues or epoxies as the probe will detach after some use...When attaching the probe to the bolt, make sure the rear section of the probe is flush (no protrusions) with the back of the bolt so you don't disturb the spring tension on the "Stabilizer"...If you don't use the stabilizer as many people don't, then it doesn't matter.

Yes, your Steyr will be more consistent in its velocities, and with all things in the gun unchanged, consistency improves accuracy.

Regards,

AZ

Hello . this is just a sort out of the steyr before it goes to it's rightful owner . only bad thing on it was that some one in it's long life had damaged the top male thread that the air cylinder connects to and they have then used i think i small file to correct this . what it means in real terms is that if you don't tighten it firmly it moves slightly on firing . so gonna need another of these . ( this defect lead to some stringing up and down on firing ) as for the pellet probe , i have a custom made pellet probe made by grandad . which seats the pellet exactly to the same depth every time . it attaches to the cocking handle , ready for use and cost me nothing except some pleading and begging ??? HOLLY

I remember Chris Briscoe used to seat pellets with a freebee Airgun world pellet pusher.

I think if you over-seat the depth of the pellet in the breech you introduce a variable because of the volume of air behind the pellet. When you think how a damaged breech seal affects accuracy this maybe makes sense.

I would have thought having the pellet just engaged on the rifling with the minimum space behind the best scenario.

The only way to find out Colin is for a few shooters to try it out . seat pellets at differing depths and see what happens . i need a calm day for proper tests . but i will start with just the thumb . then grandad's pellet probe ( roughly a quarter of an inch ) . then i will take the pellet down to an inch . three groups benched at 50 yards . same pellets . AAs straight out the tin /?? HOLLY

The only way to find out Colin is for a few shooters to try it out . seat pellets at differing depths and see what happens . i need a calm day for proper tests . but i will start with just the thumb . then grandad's pellet probe ( roughly a quarter of an inch ) . then i will take the pellet down to an inch . three groups benched at 50 yards . same pellets . AAs straight out the tin /?? HOLLY

Sounds like a plan for Wednesday...:grin:

Rain wednesday . maybe thursday . also need to check velocity . ??? HOLLY

Never Colin . but that does not mean to say i like it . west london rangers was the worst . could hardly see the targets and it was a sea of mud , Urrrrgggghhhh ???? HOLLY

Never Colin . but that does not mean to say i like it . west london rangers was the worst . could hardly see the targets and it was a sea of mud , Urrrrgggghhhh ???? HOLLY

Yep you're probably right, though a few KW shoots have come close to that deluge...:grin:

Since grandad mentioned it , i have had a look at gary canes web site and i have to say . i rather fancy a pup in walnut , with a gloss finish . very nice ??? HOLLY

I remember Chris Briscoe used to seat pellets with a freebee Airgun world pellet pusher.

I think if you over-seat the depth of the pellet in the breech you introduce a variable because of the volume of air behind the pellet. When you think how a damaged breech seal affects accuracy this maybe makes sense.

I would have thought having the pellet just engaged on the rifling with the minimum space behind the best scenario.

That's the same one I've got. I use it wth the snipers,I can a positive click when it pushers the pellet and the skirt is perfectly flush with the barrel. Not had a single flyer with them yet.

Since grandad mentioned it , i have had a look at gary canes web site and i have to say . i rather fancy a pup in walnut , with a gloss finish . very nice ??? HOLLY

The GC2 looks nice

I expect it will be too expensive . i know the full works Laminate stocks are a grand . i would think walnut might be cheaper and of course lighter . BUT how much is the question . the e mail say's an answer in two day's . i asked if the did the pup in walnut . plus what measurements are needed and of course how much . will let you know what they say . ??? HOLLY

Yup you have to be 5 foot 8 and over to apply ???? HOLLY

gotta be a birthday or christmas coming up Nat's . just casually mention it to hubby . after all he could sell his daystate to help pay for it ??? HOLLY

gotta be a birthday or christmas coming up Nat's . just casually mention it to hubby . after all he could sell his daystate to help pay for it ??? HOLLY

I think you'll find she is more than happy with the 9015 considering how well she is doing with it lately....:grin:

I think you'll find she is more than happy with the 9015 considering how well she is doing with it lately....:grin:

Indeed. Happy girl here.

Right then Nat's is predicting a Win on Sunday then ??? HOLLY :cheers:

PS Colin Flops as usual ??? HOLLY :poster_oops:

Right then Nat's is predicting a Win on Sunday then ??? HOLLY :cheers:

PS Colin Flops as usual ??? HOLLY :poster_oops:

Keep up, I've already predicted that Nats could steal the crown while everyone else is concentrating on the usual suspects...:grin:

She will have to be "put up" to it Colin . ??? HOLLY

OK club today in the rain for most of it . but at least i have checked out the waterproofs . started off with air arms 8.4 pellets which i checked over the chrono at 783 fps . but as on my old steyr , they took an uncertain wind . over to snipers . still the same . three spot on , two adrift . muzzle brake off , better . found that like a springer a loose hold was best . shot at the 55 yard knock up knock down . around 50 hits straight off , off the bench . went out on the course and not as good . don't know why . the rifle had around 500 pellets through it by then . so maybe it was the barrel going off . cleaned the barrel on getting home and fitted an O ring through the forward barrel support . to see if i can tame it a bit . see how it goes tomorrow ??? HOLLY

Probably drier tomorrow Holly.

Not going to be there off to Littlehampton for an interview.

However will be popping into Bazza's on the way to collect some bits from him for you.