Sign in to follow this  
holly

So You Want A Gary Cane Bull Pup ?

Well it  is one Col And so are you ??? HOLLY

Well sunday i need to start getting in the groove . get my -bottom- out on the course , after checking over the chrono and zero range . leave the rifle outside for 20 mins . cup of coffee and a kit Kat to resemble first lane nerves . and a decent score . at least on the targets we can see . our wood looks like 2nd degree jungle ??? HOLLY

Well slowly getting there . did twelve lanes . that is all i could see . got everything i shot at . still could use a bit better windage . so will try lube wednesday .. FT 10 . 50 . then barrel pull through and then napier pellet lube 50 . to see how it goes ??? HOLLY

Just a mo Col , you were advocating lubed pellets a while back and snipers . now i hear it is 7.9s . your turning into a faddist col ??? HOLLY

12 hours ago, holly said:

Just a mo Col , you were advocating lubed pellets a while back and snipers . now i hear it is 7.9s . your turning into a faddist col ??? HOLLY

‘Man has to be open to embrace change, it’s people that are blinkered that fall off cliff’

Old Chinese proverb.

Shall remember that  when next you have a pop at me for change ??? HOLLY

Ok apart from pellet lube today . i tried altering my position with the rifle and i did find that i seem more stable thumb through . now that is the first rifle that i have owned that has happened to . live and learn ??? HOLLY

On 5/28/2018 at 8:25 AM, Eaton Rifles said:

‘Man has to be open to embrace change, it’s people that are blinkered that fall off cliff’

Old Chinese proverb.

Another Chinese proverb 

“Man with hand in pocket,feel cocky all day”

Man who lay with woman on hill , not on level ??? HOLLY

Well after extensive testing , the LW walther barrel wins out . not quite as accurate as the steyr barrels but more progressive windage . to give you an example , shooting the steyr  barrel today off the bench . . 55 yards , near nigh pellet on pellet . then a slight wind comes up from the right , a whisper . next shot goes just out side the kill .moving an inch for a nothing wind . -covered in gore- shame . but no ??? HOLLY 

PS left the rifle in it's bag while i had a cuppa in the early morning sun .  had my tea into the wood . ranged up 55 yards . came in way over the distance . lupe off . march on . 

12 hours ago, holly said:

Well after extensive testing , the LW walther barrel wins out . not quite as accurate as the steyr barrels but more progressive windage . to give you an example , shooting the steyr  barrel today off the bench . . 55 yards , near nigh pellet on pellet . then a slight wind comes up from the right , a whisper . next shot goes just out side the kill .moving an inch for a nothing wind . -covered in gore- shame . but no ??? HOLLY 

PS left the rifle in it's bag while i had a cuppa in the early morning sun .  had my tea into the wood . ranged up 55 yards . came in way over the distance . lupe off . march on . 

It's a good job you're not so fickle about your women...😁

One of the pleasures and possibly the pain of a new outfit , is testing . almost there now i think . just have to burn some lead ??? HOLLY

PS Bazza was moaning about both his Nikko and the sightron in the heat , giving different ranges . tried my march . bang in on 30 mag at 55 yards three times . offered me two tins of pellets for it . i said no , maybe three min . 

13 hours ago, holly said:

One of the pleasures and possibly the pain of a new outfit , is testing . almost there now i think . just have to burn some lead ??? HOLLY

PS Bazza was moaning about both his Nikko and the sightron in the heat , giving different ranges . tried my march . bang in on 30 mag at 55 yards three times . offered me two tins of pellets for it . i said no , maybe three min . 

My infinity Sightron was totally unaffected by heat as far as I could see, the FT versions seem to over-range in heat though only by a couple of yards.

I told him to try putting a sunshade on it , to see if that would make a difference . ? he was ranging 55 yards when it was really 52 ??? HOLLY

1 hour ago, holly said:

I told him to try putting a sunshade on it , to see if that would make a difference . ? he was ranging 55 yards when it was really 52 ??? HOLLY

Yep that's about right for the FT Sightrons in heat. 

Getting more targets as go . but  quite cold this morning first thing . steyr running at 778 fps .. by the afternoon it was running too close to 790 . . think i will try the other reg when it gets here . . might be a bit better in the heat ??? HOLLY

33 minutes ago, holly said:

Getting more targets as go . but  quite cold this morning first thing . steyr running at 778 fps .. by the afternoon it was running too close to 790 . . think i will try the other reg when it gets here . . might be a bit better in the heat ??? HOLLY

It's not the reg mate, it's the hammer/hammer spring.

Remember Anschutz/Steyr are the same company so they share a lot of bits.

Graphite is the way ahead but then if I tell you I'd have to send Terry round to try and back over you...😂

No not on the steyr . the hammer has to be polished . gotta be worth swapping the regs , surely a new one should in theory be better . if it does it tomorrow again . i will try snipers . i tried a few some while back and they went well out of the WL barrel and of course run slower . depends on the groups/windage ??? HOLLY 

PS Bazza put a new target up a tree monday to get more wind on it . turns out it is askew . you can see through the kill . i like those more of a challenge .

10 hours ago, holly said:

No not on the steyr . the hammer has to be polished . gotta be worth swapping the regs , surely a new one should in theory be better . if it does it tomorrow again . i will try snipers . i tried a few some while back and they went well out of the WL barrel and of course run slower . depends on the groups/windage ??? HOLLY 

PS Bazza put a new target up a tree monday to get more wind on it . turns out it is askew . you can see through the kill . i like those more of a challenge .

Not the hammer so much but the spring. It seems that they are very temperature sensitive. Changing the reg. will probably not affect anything.

block serviced , spring changed . your waffling Col ??? HOLLY

Right at it again today , with some success for a change . the movement in the sitting position i think , i may have at least a partial answer . maybe not . thinking about it . if you moving or wobbling . the higher the mag . the more the wobble . so i went down to 20 mag to shoot on . went pretty well . so sunday i shall give it another go to see if it is viable or a pipe dream ??? HOLLY

3 hours ago, holly said:

Right at it again today , with some success for a change . the movement in the sitting position i think , i may have at least a partial answer . maybe not . thinking about it . if you moving or wobbling . the higher the mag . the more the wobble . so i went down to 20 mag to shoot on . went pretty well . so sunday i shall give it another go to see if it is viable or a pipe dream ??? HOLLY

Going with that logic I have a 4x Power scope you can borrow for your big come-back at Bisley...🤣

Well it worked with the 20 50 lupe , so why should it not work now ? if i can get into the 30s i will be happy with that . gotta start some where . the snag will be lack of practice with windage .from a clean barrel . first shot accuracy is stunning , in a low wind situation . like this morning . i have stopped grouping now . just pick a pellet mark and go for it . the hard bit will be to transfer that to sitting . if i can do that . all will be well ??? HOLLY

15 hours ago, holly said:

Well it worked with the 20 50 lupe , so why should it not work now ? if i can get into the 30s i will be happy with that . gotta start some where . the snag will be lack of practice with windage .from a clean barrel . first shot accuracy is stunning , in a low wind situation . like this morning . i have stopped grouping now . just pick a pellet mark and go for it . the hard bit will be to transfer that to sitting . if i can do that . all will be well ??? HOLLY

Sounds like the excuses for Bisley are already being got ready....:rolleyes:

No excuses needed with only a 28 to beat col ??? HOLLY

PS BUT in your case with a 42 to beat ? hmmm could be some craw to eat col if you drop back to the 30s . oh dear ??? HOLLY

15 hours ago, holly said:

No excuses needed with only a 28 to beat col ??? HOLLY

PS BUT in your case with a 42 to beat ? hmmm could be some craw to eat col if you drop back to the 30s . oh dear ??? HOLLY

Approaching Bisley with a totally open mind, everything will depend on the wind on the day and how I feel.

You've had a few good shoots there as well, just not when I get the video out...🤣

I was on course for a 40 plus till the trigger on the old GC2 let me down , last out with you there . and got a 36 ex 40 winter league . so fingers crossed . the problem is i don't have enough knowledge of the windage the rifle takes . but we will see . nothing ventured nothing gained ??? HOLLY

One dropped today . gave a 35 yard mini wind it did not take . getting there . what i have to do now is get the shot off quicker .??? HOLLY

So has the Gary Cane project now officially been declared dead in the water?  :rolleyes: