Sign in to follow this  
holly

So You Want A Gary Cane Bull Pup ?

Posted (edited)

No not at all . the rifle shoots well . just a case of getting the best position to shoot from and learning the windage . today was a bitch . you could not tell after a while what was luck and what was skill . i went around the course twice . trying to build up shoot stamina . very difficult to see what the wind was doing . at the top of the hill , shooting down .  the wind was blowing hard left to right . coming over the left shoulder . 53 yards down the hill . hmmmm OK , not as much down the hill as a lot of  bushes . inch out to the left . the damn pellet moved a quarter of an inch . ahhhhrrrrrggg .. and so on . the annoying thing was  i did not miss a mini all day . grrrrr drat and double drat ??? HOLLY

Edited by holly

Ok wednesday i am gonna take a target out into the field to get some real cross wind . don't like shooting in fields normally , boring . but it has to be done to get a feel for strong winds ??? HOLLY

1 hour ago, holly said:

Ok wednesday i am gonna take a target out into the field to get some real cross wind . don't like shooting in fields normally , boring . but it has to be done to get a feel for strong winds ??? HOLLY

Yep get out of that sheltered Holly-Bunker and feel the wind erm across your scalp...👍

At this rate you won’t even bother lowering the drawbridge...

12 foot pound rifles are not meant for open country in strong winds . ??? HOLLY

9 hours ago, holly said:

12 foot pound rifles are not meant for open country in strong winds . ??? HOLLY

Of course not, but that’s what makes it so much fuuuuuuuun!  🤣

You carry on funning then colin ??? HOLLY

PS open ground is meant for 7.62  , with a 154 grain pill doing doing 2650 FPS .

3 hours ago, holly said:

You carry on funning then colin ??? HOLLY

PS open ground is meant for 7.62  , with a 154 grain pill doing doing 2650 FPS .

I call you and counter with a .338 250gr Lapua doing 3000fps and don't think that body armour will save you...:rolleyes:

It will if i am in a bunker three miles away , oh yeah ??? HOLLY

40 minutes ago, holly said:

It will if i am in a bunker three miles away , oh yeah ??? HOLLY

Yep except that your paltry 7.62 wouldn't even make it three miles so how's that gonna work?

Have you not seen those remote sniper thingys in the films . have a look at your shirt . you might see a lazer dot on it ?  or it might be a soup stain . Ohwerrrr ??? HOLLY

12 hours ago, holly said:

Have you not seen those remote sniper thingys in the films . have a look at your shirt . you might see a lazer dot on it ?  or it might be a soup stain . Ohwerrrr ??? HOLLY

You and technology are not a good mix...:grin:

OK good day today . stopped going around twice on the course and now shoot as best i can just once . doing OK missed three for wind , two did not take any and one did . plus a bad attack of trigger . so four in all . one of those i would not have missed if i had a decent windcator . the new one broke again . ??? HOLLY

16 hours ago, holly said:

OK good day today . stopped going around twice on the course and now shoot as best i can just once . doing OK missed three for wind , two did not take any and one did . plus a bad attack of trigger . so four in all . one of those i would not have missed if i had a decent windcator . the new one broke again . ??? HOLLY

Stop using crutches and use those cauliflower ears, they're big enough...:grin:

Should have been a good day but not . three down and a stander . damn wind was all about the place . things still to be sorted yet ??? HOLLY

Ok took the bull by the horns tonight and did IT ? yes i drilled the butt for a swivel stud . a nervous affair it was too . but done now . finally found somewhere that sells . accessory rail mounted sling studs ( rowan ) . so i can fit a sling to try to add one more thing to the search to try to steady me on the sitters . while i was at it . i thought i would try something to make the trigger better . the action on this rifle is pulled down into the stock and i have wondered if the trigger mech was touching the stock some where along it's route ( i have had this before  , in some pups ) anyway i believe that by putting a washer under each stock bolt . and raising the action a small amount .  i have lightened the trigger considerably . sunday will tell . fingers crossed ??? HOLLY

17 hours ago, holly said:

Ok took the bull by the horns tonight and did IT ? yes i drilled the butt for a swivel stud . a nervous affair it was too . but done now . finally found somewhere that sells . accessory rail mounted sling studs ( rowan ) . so i can fit a sling to try to add one more thing to the search to try to steady me on the sitters . while i was at it . i thought i would try something to make the trigger better . the action on this rifle is pulled down into the stock and i have wondered if the trigger mech was touching the stock some where along it's route ( i have had this before  , in some pups ) anyway i believe that by putting a washer under each stock bolt . and raising the action a small amount .  i have lightened the trigger considerably . sunday will tell . fingers crossed ??? HOLLY

Why not grease the coat hanger with some of the finest stock lubricant. I would recommend Mr Sheen, no don't thank me...:grin: 

Says a man addicted to a piece of polished tin . has he gone mad you ask ? i ask the court to take into consideration . selling a superb 2002 in a gary cane stock and buying a FTP . case proved , bang him up ??? HOLLY

14 hours ago, holly said:

Says a man addicted to a piece of polished tin . has he gone mad you ask ? i ask the court to take into consideration . selling a superb 2002 in a gary cane stock and buying a FTP . case proved , bang him up ??? HOLLY

I would agree with you except there was 10+years between selling said 2002 and buying a Steyr, not the FTP. That disaster was yet to happen.

Aside from that the stock was made for a long-armed freak who can bench car engines for a laugh. 

I am neither, so the stock simply was too big and too heavy...👍

How sad , your one and only clearence in competition and now the man is running it down . you should get down on your knees and beg groucher to sell it to you . ??? HOLLY 

PS then send off for a Arnie weight lifting kit . 

OK , sling stud and rail stud fitted today . new bisley sling turned up too . so tomorrow . we will see if i can just get that small amount of stability more to help my sitters . fingers crossed brothers on the slug ??? HOLLY

13 hours ago, holly said:

How sad , your one and only clearence in competition and now the man is running it down . you should get down on your knees and beg groucher to sell it to you . ??? HOLLY 

PS then send off for a Arnie weight lifting kit . 

I didn’t use the GC 2002 for the clearance, that was the blue 2002 in the standard stock with my first x40 comp.

Still at least I’m in the 40 Club, not quite as good as the 50 Club, now that is exclusive with Daz as the most recent invite,

No Rock Chimps, so sorry Holls but your name isn’t on the list.

possible in open ??? HOLLY

Well advantage was looked for but was found mostly in standers . if i was able to use my shooting jacket . then it is possible the sling would earn it's money . as it is in this heat , no shooting jacket . . so at the mo . good for carrying it and standers . ahh well ??? HOLLY

On 6/24/2018 at 12:38 AM, holly said:

possible in open ??? HOLLY

Possible but not probable....😉

On 6/24/2018 at 4:37 PM, holly said:

Well advantage was looked for but was found mostly in standers . if i was able to use my shooting jacket . then it is possible the sling would earn it's money . as it is in this heat , no shooting jacket . . so at the mo . good for carrying it and standers . ahh well ??? HOLLY

Leave the fleece off and wear a cotton t-shirt under the jacket with plenty of smellies and you’ll be fine with a few gallons of water to stick your head in...👍

26 in the afternoon Col . noway . that would do me in , in a jacket ??? HOLLY

On 6/21/2018 at 8:02 PM, holly said:

Doing that without proper bedding will just introduce an unstable action into the mix. Get the epoxy out and do it properly.

You are forgetting Colin that the steyr is actually in it's own frame . no zero shift will result . oh winkle ??? HOLLY

17 hours ago, holly said:

You are forgetting Colin that the steyr is actually in it's own frame . no zero shift will result . oh winkle ??? HOLLY

It's a Steyr, but it's ok you just carry on in your little bubble mate...:grin:

Big bad Bazza is coming across to kick your butt all over Carrisbroke tomorrow I believe, this is your practice for Bisley Sunday.

While he's over have a go with his Steyr to see what a proper one shoots like...:grin:

I shall leave the lad in my wake Colin , as usual ??? HOLLY

On a more serious note ? i have come to the conclusion that my problems stem from fitness . sold some of my spare stuff . so i hope to have enough to visit halfords next week to but a mountain bike to get some off road training ??? HOLLY 

PS hot as hell today . god help you sunday in a gimp .:Spike