Sign in to follow this  
holly

So You Want A Gary Cane Bull Pup ?

Been doing a bit of practice out the back garden ( dry fire )  and don't think ten mag will cut it . gonna try 15 mag ??? HOLLY

PS looks like gales tomorrow , so probably thursday .

we did some work on the course today .  i lost my boots ( both ) in the mud for ten mins . afterwards we shot the new lanes we had put out . i took my time setting up my stock and shooting at a 50 yarder . gotta say the control the stock gives you is spot on . ??? HOLLY

Interesting to day . in so much as it was the first day that it was not windy since i have had the rifle back in it's new stock .  anyway what i noticed was that it vibrates when firing . air cylinder and barrel . which i think is cos gary bolts the stock to the rifle very tightly . so the shock of it firing sets up that vibration . the effect seems to be the same as my shutz . insomuch as it shoots better at longer ranges and not quite so well at closer ones . now this is the opposite to what a steyr normally does . it is not so bad close in as to miss a mini kill but not pellet on pellet as you would expect . will see if i can do anything about it ??? HOLLT

Ok first try at a fix is to increase the rubber mounting of the barrel in the forward support . from one O ring to 4 . the thinking behind this is at least try to keep the vibrations consistent . on a finger on the barrel test , it does seem to have an effect . sunday as long as it is not silly windy will tell ??? HOLLY

I hope to get friday afternoon down the club to try to sort out the vibration that has been affecting the steyr . ??? HOLLY

well i was on fire on the club course today . superb shooting going down . then i woke up :doh:. nope actually it went pretty well for a change . the vibration is still there , but the groups have come back in . still think i will see if i can rubber mount the action . will see ??? HOLLY

PS tried magging down on the minis to avoid the shake i usually get on em .seemed to work quite well .

Good sunday till it rained  at about 1 pm . damn damn  . i  shall never get  back into AA grade at this rate . more sun please ??? HOLLY

Wife down the club today , with her steyr . so it was the first chance to compare the two barrels . HW 100 Carbine and Walther Loather .. interesting . i know i was not shooting em at the same time but i think the HW100  was slightly more accurate and slightly better on windage . not much in it . may be at 55 yards half an inch of wind for the HW100  and just on or slightly less than an inch with the WL barrel . out of 5 shots fired at the quarter inch bolts holding the targets on ( yes Rob i know you said they were bigger , well they look small at 55 yards )three hit them some where on the bolt with the HW100 . two with the WL . ( off the bench ) . not a huge amount but in FT every mill counts . so will try changing em over . ??? HOLLY

On changing em over . the vibration on my steyr seems to have gone . so although i thought the WL barrel was not touching the forward support , it must have been . more testing required on both rifles . ??? HOLLY

well today was a very nasty little wind at the club . not much learnt . but will  keep at it . looks like plan B is coming up next . only trouble is , i can't remember what plan be is ??? HOLLY