Sign in to follow this  
holly

So You Want A Gary Cane Bull Pup ?

Been doing a bit of practice out the back garden ( dry fire )  and don't think ten mag will cut it . gonna try 15 mag ??? HOLLY

PS looks like gales tomorrow , so probably thursday .

we did some work on the course today .  i lost my boots ( both ) in the mud for ten mins . afterwards we shot the new lanes we had put out . i took my time setting up my stock and shooting at a 50 yarder . gotta say the control the stock gives you is spot on . ??? HOLLY

Interesting to day . in so much as it was the first day that it was not windy since i have had the rifle back in it's new stock .  anyway what i noticed was that it vibrates when firing . air cylinder and barrel . which i think is cos gary bolts the stock to the rifle very tightly . so the shock of it firing sets up that vibration . the effect seems to be the same as my shutz . insomuch as it shoots better at longer ranges and not quite so well at closer ones . now this is the opposite to what a steyr normally does . it is not so bad close in as to miss a mini kill but not pellet on pellet as you would expect . will see if i can do anything about it ??? HOLLT

Ok first try at a fix is to increase the rubber mounting of the barrel in the forward support . from one O ring to 4 . the thinking behind this is at least try to keep the vibrations consistent . on a finger on the barrel test , it does seem to have an effect . sunday as long as it is not silly windy will tell ??? HOLLY

I hope to get friday afternoon down the club to try to sort out the vibration that has been affecting the steyr . ??? HOLLY

well i was on fire on the club course today . superb shooting going down . then i woke up :doh:. nope actually it went pretty well for a change . the vibration is still there , but the groups have come back in . still think i will see if i can rubber mount the action . will see ??? HOLLY

PS tried magging down on the minis to avoid the shake i usually get on em .seemed to work quite well .

Good sunday till it rained  at about 1 pm . damn damn  . i  shall never get  back into AA grade at this rate . more sun please ??? HOLLY

Wife down the club today , with her steyr . so it was the first chance to compare the two barrels . HW 100 Carbine and Walther Loather .. interesting . i know i was not shooting em at the same time but i think the HW100  was slightly more accurate and slightly better on windage . not much in it . may be at 55 yards half an inch of wind for the HW100  and just on or slightly less than an inch with the WL barrel . out of 5 shots fired at the quarter inch bolts holding the targets on ( yes Rob i know you said they were bigger , well they look small at 55 yards )three hit them some where on the bolt with the HW100 . two with the WL . ( off the bench ) . not a huge amount but in FT every mill counts . so will try changing em over . ??? HOLLY

On changing em over . the vibration on my steyr seems to have gone . so although i thought the WL barrel was not touching the forward support , it must have been . more testing required on both rifles . ??? HOLLY

well today was a very nasty little wind at the club . not much learnt . but will  keep at it . looks like plan B is coming up next . only trouble is , i can't remember what plan be is ??? HOLLY

Posted (edited)

Plan B was to put the kettle on and hit the cake and MCN....:)

Edited by Eaton Rifles

No Colin that was Plan C . plan B was Errr . Hmmmm . it will come to me ????? errr what am i doing here , anybody ??? HOLLY

I see my hiatus hasn't helped with the grey cells dying off.

By my very modest reckoning that's about 346 million less than before so only a few to go before the dribbling starts again....:bore:

Nonsense  , it is all coming back to me now . i am a AA shot , just having a few issues at the mo . i put it down to missing you Col . come to think of it missing was always your strong point ??? HOLLY:0:thumb:

The only thing I've been missing lately is this forum.

Any negative ermm feedback about my recent shooting is purely coincidental.

I just thank my lucky stars I side-stepped you as you plummeted past into B or did you finally dig your nails in at C?

I like that nice Mr Evans he has a Welsh heart of gold...:)

I think it will stay B grade Col . as for GPs it will be open due to the knee not wanting to bend anymore and winter league means 8 standers . doom i am afraid. unless i can get  some of your lazer guided pellets . still .can't be bad if your still shooting . HOLLY

8 minutes ago, holly said:

I think it will stay B grade Col . as for GPs it will be open due to the knee not wanting to bend anymore and winter league means 8 standers . doom i am afraid. unless i can get  some of your lazer guided pellets . still .can't be bad if your still shooting . HOLLY

Young kids mate, though I did put my back out last week getting back from Thetford with the caravan.

'Put the handbrake on' I said to Nikki and she took it off on a slope...:0

Oh dear not good careful with the bending then . old bazza has been pushing his luck . he has been laying paving slabs for a path in his garden  . not with his back i said to him . ??? HOLLY

I'm ok now but I was in real agony for about three days and I never suffer with a bad back.

Was getting shooting pains down my legs and getting out of bed was a joke.

My kids thought it hilarious, gits.

Yes i hurt my back getting the mother in laws wheel chair out of the car . i had to sit in the damn thing ??? HOLLY

1 hour ago, holly said:

Yes i hurt my back getting the mother in laws wheel chair out of the car . i had to sit in the damn thing ??? HOLLY

You must have been a boy scout with all that preparedness rubbish.

Did you get the mother-in-law back out of the gutter once your back had recovered?   :)

She was still in the -covered in gore- car ??? HOLLY

14 minutes ago, holly said:

She was still in the -covered in gore- car ??? HOLLY

Hahahahahahahahaaaaaaa....:rofl2:

Well it never rains but it pours . checked the rifle over the chrono today at the club . 765 to 800 fps . just what i need . gotta have a reg service now > ??? HOLLY

It was suggested that it might be the hammer dragging on the sears but i think i will have a reg service just the same .  anybody got a good secondhand one for sale ? i shall readjust the trigger anyway when i get it back . ??? HOLLY

OK reg and block gone off to Chris cunday for a service . might as well get the lot done . hopefully it will make it even easier to beat you mugs ??? HOLLY

Think i might get a new steyr reg to use as back up ??? HOLLY

On 4/29/2018 at 9:38 PM, holly said:

It was suggested that it might be the hammer dragging on the sears but i think i will have a reg service just the same .  anybody got a good secondhand one for sale ? i shall readjust the trigger anyway when i get it back . ??? HOLLY

Kilty's always got a few Steyr bits kicking around. The cheap ones you'll have to dig out of the Club hut walls yourself....:rolleyes: 

Barry asked if i wanted to borrow one , but i thought it better to get a new one and get chris to change it over and use the old one as a spare ??? HOLLY

7 hours ago, holly said:

Barry asked if i wanted to borrow one , but i thought it better to get a new one and get chris to change it over and use the old one as a spare ??? HOLLY

If it don't work, it still won't work as a spare?