Sign in to follow this  
holly

So You Want A Gary Cane Bull Pup ?

On 09/05/2018 at 5:57 PM, holly said:

well to day was a cock up of truly epic proportions , caused by the transfer port washer and a dodgy chrono . won't bother to go into details . cos it is just to boring ??? HOLLY :shakehead:  :bore:

PS the good news is the rifles shoots well . well it did at the end of 5 hours of ######ing about and 300 pellets . :hit::angry:

Good job you’re retired otherwise you’d be really stuck for time with all this research...👍

Hopefully we are out the other side of things now . what is needed  is some practice on the course . still i have 50 shots of much need practice coming up this sunday ??? HOLLY .

7 hours ago, holly said:

Hopefully we are out the other side of things now . what is needed  is some practice on the course . still i have 50 shots of much need practice coming up this sunday ??? HOLLY .

Is that practicing missing? 😉

Going by what has transpired over the last few day . quite probably Colin ??? HOLLY

1 hour ago, holly said:

Going by what has transpired over the last few day . quite probably Colin ??? HOLLY

Sounds like you need some intensive therapy with the all new 'Eaton Method for success and profit' mainly my profit... :rolleyes:

Well finally got a new bulb today and ran the rifle over the chrono . nine shots went across with an average  of 770 FPS  . with one reading 796 FPS  .  let us hope that does not pop up sunday .??? HOLLY 

PS should be enough to claim my hot dog from colin . after all he is a bit of a pussy .

41 minutes ago, holly said:

Well finally got a new bulb today and ran the rifle over the chrono . nine shots went across with an average  of 770 FPS  . with one reading 796 FPS  .  let us hope that does not pop up sunday .??? HOLLY 

PS should be enough to claim my hot dog from colin . after all he is a bit of a pussy .

So, erm a spread from 796 to 770fps, sounds like a superb rifle for Springfield. Let’s hope when you hit the chrono tent that it’s nearer the 770 end of the spectrum.

Ah yea and don’t count on squeezin’ to please ‘em, we have a special tin of test pellets just for when you rock up...👍

Only one at 796 ? the rest within 7 FPS . i will check it out on the BFTA chrono first . if it looks dodgy . i won't bother . might just need to settle down after all the up down . up down. up down . trying a new barrel cleaning method to see if that is an improvement . the open part should show that up for good or bad . nothing much to lose as no real time to practice . so might as well use it to sort out the wheat from the chaff . yep looking forward to it ??? HOLLY

PS when the rifle is going well . it shoots spot on . just gotta get it going well . . new reg should be here soon . 

4 hours ago, holly said:

Only one at 796 ? the rest within 7 FPS . i will check it out on the BFTA chrono first . if it looks dodgy . i won't bother . might just need to settle down after all the up down . up down. up down . trying a new barrel cleaning method to see if that is an improvement . the open part should show that up for good or bad . nothing much to lose as no real time to practice . so might as well use it to sort out the wheat from the chaff . yep looking forward to it ??? HOLLY

PS when the rifle is going well . it shoots spot on . just gotta get it going well . . new reg should be here soon . 

The LabRadar will be set up for people to use courtesy of Graham's generosity. That will give you a true figure regardless of the other chronos, though the only 'official' reading that counts on your scorecard is the BFTA chrono.

Let us get to it ??? HOLLY

5 hours ago, holly said:

Let us get to it ??? HOLLY

All there waiting for your delectation, all you need to do is be there preferably with a rifle...:rolleyes:

The rifle and myself will be there col . god willing ??? HOLLY

On 5/12/2018 at 9:36 PM, holly said:

The rifle and myself will be there col . god willing ??? HOLLY

....and you were not wrong, though I do understand that your rifle is filing for divorce on the grounds of irreconcilable behaviour....:rofl2:

I think it mat end up on the wall as a wall hanger colin ??? HOLLY

1 hour ago, holly said:

I think it mat end up on the wall as a wall hanger colin ??? HOLLY

Well it certainly is pretty enough to be a wall trophy albeit a bit on the expensive side.

OK . did my best work in the bedroom to day ? hey what . no not that Colin . i tried a few different positions . no not that . with the Steyr . one of the problems i see is cos i had the rifle set up to high . i let the rowan out just one notch today . and used two knee lifters . switched myself around at 45 degrees to the target and spread the right leg out as far to the right as i could . seemed better . so will try that wednesday . nothing ventured , nothing gained . ??? HOLLY

PS In other words . higher the rifles weight was against it . lower the weight is working for it . 

6 hours ago, holly said:

OK . did my best work in the bedroom to day ? hey what . no not that Colin . i tried a few different positions . no not that . with the Steyr . one of the problems i see is cos i had the rifle set up to high . i let the rowan out just one notch today . and used two knee lifters . switched myself around at 45 degrees to the target and spread the right leg out as far to the right as i could . seemed better . so will try that wednesday . nothing ventured , nothing gained . ??? HOLLY

PS In other words . higher the rifles weight was against it . lower the weight is working for it . 

I hate to say it but that is schoolboy FT stuff; everybody knows that a lower CG is better for stability than a higher. One of the reasons why I tried and quickly discarded the Rowan lifter as it may have got the height but it added nothing for stability. I'm more stable for higher targets just sticking my elbow on my knee and getting on with it.

But what happens if you cannot get your elbow on your knee Col ? as i cannot anymore . plus i have short legs and a long body  . exactly what you do not want for FT . i have to work with what i have . nothing else for it . it can be done . it must be done ??? HOLLY

PS my idea of minimal cleaning on a stainless barrel has worked so far . wednesday will see if it will keep going .

6 hours ago, holly said:

But what happens if you cannot get your elbow on your knee Col ? as i cannot anymore . plus i have short legs and a long body  . exactly what you do not want for FT . i have to work with what i have . nothing else for it . it can be done . it must be done ??? HOLLY

PS my idea of minimal cleaning on a stainless barrel has worked so far . wednesday will see if it will keep going .

Ahhh of course I forgot about your stature, at this rate you’ll be sitting on a fishing stool with a rifle tripod...👍

Sounds good . have you got one ??? HOLLY

PS col , we do what we can , until we cannot .

1 hour ago, holly said:

Sounds good . have you got one ??? HOLLY

PS col , we do what we can , until we cannot .

Thankfully not on the rifle tripod, though my back went out Sunday morning so by the time I got to shoot Bazza had to be my gun bearer as it was simply impossible for me to get onto the bean bag. Luckily as the shoot progressed the pain started to subside but certainly for the first 10 lanes I just gritted my teeth as nothing was going to stop me finishing that course.

My back was OK at the beginning and got worse as i went around ??? HOLLY

Right today went well but the back is still not right . i tried putting a pad on the right knee to place my elbow on , to get some more stability  . this worked fairly well . will see if i can make a better one that will stay in position when i walk .  did some trigger work . will see how that goes tomorrow . oh and some standing , concentrating on breathing .??? HOLLY

So tomorrow  i will try some pads for the thigh to see if that is any better ??? HOLLY

1 hour ago, holly said:

So tomorrow  i will try some pads for the thigh to see if that is any better ??? HOLLY

Careful as you’re straying into the minefield that is thigh rests...🤔

Normally people only start to pick holes when you do well ? i don't really think that is a gonna happen ??? HOLLY

1 hour ago, holly said:

Normally people only start to pick holes when you do well ? i don't really think that is a gonna happen ??? HOLLY

I think in your case people get the boot in regardless of if you're on the ropes or not...:rofl2:

Well let em . right today was not as i hoped .the power had dropped . 780 to 750 , Grrr . action out and sod scoring the damn thing . done up lock bolt so the damn  adjuster would only just turn . . power set at 780 . end of day . 786 fps . ( hotter ) sitting was tried again on the course . the problem seems to me to be the fore end . it i think is to light . difficult to get the rifle to settle for the shot . this leads to snatching . which leads to me doing my-small things that keep my ears apart- . fit weight on sunday . ??? HOLLY 

PS desperate doings lead to desperate methods . so will see if i can get the shutz going long enough to see if it is me going down hill faster than a speeding bullet . or if it is the rig ..

Whilst thinking about how i could make the front heavier . it came to me . i have a spare steyr barrel , with a damn great hydrographics  stainless muzzle brake . weighs a ton . so on it went . two questions . will it shoot and can i carry it ??? HOLLY

Before you start doing a Clarkey and adding the church roof to the muzzle, work out your current balance point on the knee, then pivot the rifle on a large Allen key (so it doesn’t roll) and then add weight to the front.

Have you checked to see of there’s anything you can remove from the back apart from yourself? 😉