Sign in to follow this  
holly

So You Want A Gary Cane Bull Pup ?

• This is a pup Col . does not work like that . it should lock up in position sitting . no matter what . it is the positionals that are affected by a light front end . more work needed . i will find it . just needs time . in the mean time . we experiment . key mad laughter ? hehe heh ha ha ha ha heh ha . errr sorry about that ??? HOLLY

2 hours ago, holly said:
  • This is a pup Col . does not work like that . it should lock up in position sitting . no matter what . it is the positionals that are affected by a light front end . more work needed . i will find it . just needs time . in the mean time . we experiment . key mad laughter ? hehe heh ha ha ha ha heh ha . errr sorry about that ??? HOLLY

Good job you have all the time in the World then...:rolleyes:

Yes , as said heavy barrel now fitted to the steyr  . Anschutz now filled up scoped up , lifter fitted , sling fitted . if i cannot sit still with this i will join ETL  with the rest of the knackered shooters .  ??? HOLLY

PS bazza says the  9015 is leaking and the tsars trigger is getting too heavy almost to use . say's it is marking his finger .

1 hour ago, holly said:

Yes , as said heavy barrel now fitted to the steyr  . Anschutz now filled up scoped up , lifter fitted , sling fitted . if i cannot sit still with this i will join ETL  with the rest of the knackered shooters .  ??? HOLLY

PS bazza says the  9015 is leaking and the tsars trigger is getting too heavy almost to use . say's it is marking his finger .

He has the superior 5 lever trigger so sounds like a lube issue, i.e. that some numpty has lubed it with something oily. Graphite powder only!  :D

should have bought a 2002 . i reckon Keith should give him his one . he only uses it twice a year ??? HOLLY

Right cannot be arsed to take two  rifles tomorrow . so just the Shutz . . it has only lost about half a charge in two days . so should be good for a 40 shot course . will it do a job . or will it be a lob ??? HOLLY

PS and can i do a job .

Today you will realise that you should have stuck the 2002 in the GC stock.

unfortunately I now fear that you will try and redress this (badly)

🤣

No dear boy . the shutz stock looks -excrement-e i know . but it has neutral balance . heavy as sin but you can hold it . only wished i was a bit slimmer ??? HOLLY

OK out today for some make or break . i think after going around the course . it is clear to me that the problem is the rifle not the shooter . i reckon i was up from say 25 % at springfield to , around 75  %  today . considering the shutz was a bit up and down over the chrono . i managed to knock over more than i missed . my conclusion is that it is the balance of the steyr . question is , can i do anything about it . without mullering it ??? HOLLY

, can i do anything about it . without mullering it ??? HOLLY

Based on previous lash-ups ,  no

Hope this helps

As always Dave . no it did not help . . still i will have a very pretty wall hanger ??? HOLLY

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, holly said:

OK out today for some make or break . i think after going around the course . it is clear to me that the problem is the rifle not the shooter . i reckon i was up from say 25 % at springfield to , around 75  %  today . considering the shutz was a bit up and down over the chrono . i managed to knock over more than i missed . my conclusion is that it is the balance of the steyr . question is , can i do anything about it . without mullering it ??? HOLLY

Everyone who picked up your rifle at Springfield said that the balance was spot on with your rifle so maybe you need to change the way you're holding it?

Best thing is to stick it on an allen key and find the balance point on the hamster, mark it on the side with some tape. Then get into your position without referring to the tape and get Chris to take a photo from the side and see where the balance point is in relation to the pivot point.

Edited by Eaton Rifles

as said colin on pups you need a neutral balance . as in my shutz ( -covered in gore- heavy front and back ) i have put a really heavy barrel on it . if that does not work . i will fit a sling . did not want to do that . cos it means drilling the stock . but if it is between that or selling it . then needs must ??? HOLLY

1 hour ago, holly said:

as said colin on pups you need a neutral balance . as in my shutz ( -covered in gore- heavy front and back ) i have put a really heavy barrel on it . if that does not work . i will fit a sling . did not want to do that . cos it means drilling the stock . but if it is between that or selling it . then needs must ??? HOLLY

Maybe do the Clarkey mod. and add a pound of lead wrapped round the muzzle if all else fails?

The stainless muzzle break weighs about a pound ??? HOLLY

Sounds like you need to get back to basics, take all the utter -rubbish- off and start again.

Colin the stainless muzzle brake acts as a weight . take it off and probably no gain . Wednesday will tell . a back to back test  ??? HOLLY

22 hours ago, holly said:

Colin the stainless muzzle brake acts as a weight . take it off and probably no gain . Wednesday will tell . a back to back test  ??? HOLLY

Instead of randomly taking stuff off, adjusting this and that in the forlorn hope something, anything will work. Just take a step back and really look at what the issue really is?

Gord Blimey , i have spent ages explaining it Col . it is a lack of weight on the front ? the shutz , cos of its neutral weight . i can hold in the kill . the steyr moves left and right outside the kill . the spare steyr barrel may cure that with the extra weight . or not . won't know until i try . geddit ??? HOLLY

6 hours ago, holly said:

Gord Blimey , i have spent ages explaining it Col . it is a lack of weight on the front ? the shutz , cos of its neutral weight . i can hold in the kill . the steyr moves left and right outside the kill . the spare steyr barrel may cure that with the extra weight . or not . won't know until i try . geddit ??? HOLLY

The problem is not the lack of weight on the front, it is the excess useless weight hanging off the back. Let me (reluctantly) take it off your hands for a fiver and it’s problem solved.

...yes don’t thank me..👍

What a true blue hero you are colin . if i cannot get it to work , it goes . simple as that . what would be the point of keeping it in the cupboard .  but i do expect to get it working for me ( i hope ) ??? HOLLY 

Ok as usual Colin was wrong . the new barrel was very accurate , consistently so . BUT the best bit is the windage . ? it takes little wind . at least compared to my other steyr .it mat turn out that it is too high in the FPS . will find out tomorrow when i get the new chrono . or it may be i zeroed into the wind . but if not col . your goose is cooked ??? HOLLY 

Ok no good colin reading this , cos it is a bit subtle see .the plan was to get a better sitting position . one by adding a heavy barrel and muzzle brake and two to try several different positions . in an attempt to keep the cross hairs inside the kill at 55 yards , long enough to get the shot off . simples . cept of course it was not . i went through everything i could think of . even to the point of changing the butt hook to the incorrect position ( spit ) . for the moment i am using . total relaxation by breathing control  to attain a good let off inside the kill . leaning back with the rifle and holding the forend on the knee . i have found that by using this method . the cross hairs will move across the kill zone as before . BUT stop in the kill ,  for around one second . as long as i am ready to deliver the shot . all good . if not . start again . not ideal but a start . the accuracy of the barrel on this steyr  is really good . better than the one bazza used to get third in senior at the worlds . so maybe light at the end of the tunnel ??? HOLLY

Did you remember to do the screws up on this barrel?

if it’s that good you wouldn’t want to lose it by launching it downrange...🤣

All is tight . will it turn out to a wonder barrel ? or i wonder why i bothered . all will be revealed , TODAY ( i hope ) ??? HOLLY

1 hour ago, holly said:

All is tight . will it turn out to a wonder barrel ? or i wonder why i bothered . all will be revealed , TODAY ( i hope ) ??? HOLLY

Little bit of rain and wind down your way so perfect for testing.

Damn steyr's . little bit of rain , colder . power dropped to 765 . long uns low and windage out . my fault i should have checked it on the chrono . but as said it was raining a bit . so went straight onto the course . confidence built up yesterday gone . no not entirely . what was , can be again . sunday i will check it over the chrono before zero range ( old and new chrono ) then we will see what i can do . ??? HOLLY

16 hours ago, holly said:

Damn steyr's . little bit of rain , colder . power dropped to 765 . long uns low and windage out . my fault i should have checked it on the chrono . but as said it was raining a bit . so went straight onto the course . confidence built up yesterday gone . no not entirely . what was , can be again . sunday i will check it over the chrono before zero range ( old and new chrono ) then we will see what i can do . ??? HOLLY

Here we go again, good job you have a few weeks before Bisley. Looks like you're going to need every minute...:rofl2:

Ahh but there is now a difference Col . 1/ i have stopped being worried about taking it out the case , in case it get scratched  . sod that , it is a tool . 2/  instead of blaming the rifle , i am looking at me and my practices . . 3/ i am handling it much better . looking now for it's strengths instead of weaknesses . 4/ as the man said in the film , " he is starting to believe " ??? HOLLY

10 hours ago, holly said:

Ahh but there is now a difference Col . 1/ i have stopped being worried about taking it out the case , in case it get scratched  . sod that , it is a tool . 2/  instead of blaming the rifle , i am looking at me and my practices . . 3/ i am handling it much better . looking now for it's strengths instead of weaknesses . 4/ as the man said in the film , " he is starting to believe " ??? HOLLY

Ah yes, but quoting the same film, is it the one? 😉