Sign in to follow this  
john79

isp airstream

After that monty. i will be very surprised if he buys a ISP ??? HOLLY :cheers:

The issue is they seem to change hands on a regular basis and you never know who's done what to them. But, they're easy to sort out if you put a bit of effort in and have access to a lathe. They are really simple rifles but the design is sound, they're not as sensitive as some brands I could mention to things not being perfect but I do think the valve return spring isn't given enough thought.

If it's a brand spanker then it should be perfect ;)

The issue is they seem to change hands on a regular basis and you never know who's done what to them.

This is the issue, mine was not a happy bunny when I got it, it appeared to shoot OK to start, but the zero changed very slightly every time it was taken anywhere in a gun bag, the easiest solution was to let Shaun put it right.

cheer's Monty, always good to hear the pro's n con's ....I have left a deposit with Shaun to build me a new action so maybe some of the issues you have had are now sorted !

john.

What did you specify for the action john. ???HOLLY

what do you mean? i havent gone through any real details with him yet as i only left a deposit last night! so will be sorting it out soon.

What did you specify for the action john. ???HOLLY

Grey anodised action ,full length, no safety ! foster fitting quick fill ,ported shroud,cz barrel with Shaun's own trigger .

Who is going to do the stock John ? If it is mr Cane . you better start saving ??? HOLLY

Who is going to do the stock John ? If it is mr Cane . you better start saving ??? HOLLY

don't know yet holly! there's a few stock makers to chose from, all do a nice job! just come's down to how much you want to spend, I'm looking at a walnut stock to cater for hft and ft as I want to have a go at ft as well

john.

well in walnut i think Warren edwards is good and good prices . in Laminate . well Mr cane is king and not cheap . but like the man say's you get what you pay for ??? HOLLY

Tilly stocks are worth a look... :grin:

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

When you get it be prepared to put time into learning to shoot it. Both of mine are very sensitive to a slightly sloppy trigger technique and poor follow through that you may get away with on other rifles. I don't believe it to be a slow lock time but more to do with the fact that they are very light at the muzzle. There's no big chunk of ally or brass muzzle break and any movement is more readily transferred to the muzzle during the firing sequence. I suspect this is part of the reason they change hands often, it's a prestige rifle and there is an expectation that it'll improve scores on the first outing. Invariably they show up any weakness in your technique and for a while your scores may go backwards. I spoke to Shaun a couple of years ago about changing the ally filler cover for a stainless one to add weight at the muzzle but in the end I decided to work on my technique, refining the hammer settings and getting the stock to be as near to a perfect fit as I could achieve. I don't feel the need to add weight to the muzzle now.

I went from an EV2 to the ISP and weight wise they feel very similar but the mass is definitely further back in the ISP. The action is not especially heavy but the GC laminate stocks do add a load of weight to them, I think there is a view that they're 'heavy' rifles but most of this is down to the stock. ISP owners seem to like stocks hewn from several tons of laminate.

Weight distribution is a double edged sword generally, what makes a great positional rifle because the weight is back then can become a twitchy nightmare for sitters.

As you say, highlights bad technique so in a way if they stick with it and realise what's going on then the shooter will improve.

ISP owners seem to like stocks hewn from several tons of laminate.

Not me, I like proper wood.

The videos from the Welsh Worlds shows what a huge variation there is in trigger technique amongst FT shooters. With all rifles good technique is vital, moreso with a lighter rifle or one that has much of the weight under the action (which is where I like it).

Walnut is about the ONLY thing myself and Neil agree on . Beautiful ??? HOLLY

Walnut, and cake.

Mmmm, coffee and walnut cake..... ohhh yeah.

Some one mention cake.

Holly did, date and walnut, coffee and walnut and banana and walnut.

He said he was buying.

Take you lot with the numbering are referring to the current mark 3. Mark 1 only numbered to 07 ex DK by 93 i did the Webley barrel, there after no numbers.

Regs a Mick Dawes copied by many including Anchutz, BSA, Walther, geeza over Leicester from 98, myself to 97 and many others.

Like me he used to use any guage he could get hold of with alarming results and why manometers are absolutely worthless. Last guage i took off read 8.8bar high. Reg pressure not a condition of attaining velocity at lowest pressure theres a lot more to it than that, undoubtedly get more shots at higher reg pressure and shoot better.

Its still more advanced than current AA i'll even go as far back as 1993 running then at 1/4" stroke. I was down to 1.4mm by 1992 no draw backs. FTP 14.2MM stroke.

Valve tension will be variable with each build even parts made to same tolerances. Not saying owt for others to copy ive put the time in hence the current breed of conversions and told him how last year.

Johnny yours has masses of valve tension otherwise it just wants to do 840 at 61bar. Shaun dont want to make the trigger as of last night, i can get some more of the old 5018L Anchutz, in stock might even come with the curved 9003 blade like last two. Trigger he makes is a copy of the same trigger unit, i used to be able to make all the parts in 98 ready for hardening in 1hr 35mins but a day to setup.

Neil yours was the master tatters the only bloke ever come across that piccied several 55 yard groups shot off the knee to leave a .22 size hole. Worst of the lot they would be raving about if they shot at 30 yards. Upon returning home took it apart to improve.

Thats the one with barrel bore drilled out and had passed through 3 other people including retiree over Leicester raved about.

Neil yours was the master tatters the only bloke ever come across that piccied several 55 yard groups shot off the knee to leave a .22 size hole. Worst of the lot they would be raving about if they shot at 30 yards. Upon returning home took it apart to improve.

Thats the one with barrel bore drilled out and had passed through 3 other people including retiree over Leicester raved about.

Shaun took the shroud off the barrel while I was in his front room with him, it was pretty gruesome in there.

The barrel was apparently changed at some point and a BSA barrel put in, but when Shaun checked it he was pretty certain the barrel now there is the original LW unit it left with.

Take you lot with the numbering are referring to the current mark 3. Mark 1 only numbered to 07 ex DK by 93 i did the Webley barrel, there after no numbers.

Regs a Mick Dawes copied by many including Anchutz, BSA, Walther, geeza over Leicester from 98, myself to 97 and many others.

Like me he used to use any guage he could get hold of with alarming results and why manometers are absolutely worthless. Last guage i took off read 8.8bar high. Reg pressure not a condition of attaining velocity at lowest pressure theres a lot more to it than that, undoubtedly get more shots at higher reg pressure and shoot better.

Its still more advanced than current AA i'll even go as far back as 1993 running then at 1/4" stroke. I was down to 1.4mm by 1992 no draw backs. FTP 14.2MM stroke.

Valve tension will be variable with each build even parts made to same tolerances. Not saying owt for others to copy ive put the time in hence the current breed of conversions and told him how last year.

Johnny yours has masses of valve tension otherwise it just wants to do 840 at 61bar. Shaun dont want to make the trigger as of last night, i can get some more of the old 5018L Anchutz, in stock might even come with the curved 9003 blade like last two. Trigger he makes is a copy of the same trigger unit, i used to be able to make all the parts in 98 ready for hardening in 1hr 35mins but a day to setup.

That's good to know Jon cheer's :)

Some one mention cake.

Holly did, date and walnut, coffee and walnut and banana and walnut.

He said he was buying.

I am on holiday that week ??? HOLLY

Shaun took the shroud off the barrel while I was in his front room with him, it was pretty gruesome in there.

The barrel was apparently changed at some point and a BSA barrel put in, but when Shaun checked it he was pretty certain the barrel now there is the original LW unit it left with.

Sam told me twice he didnt agree with the original barrel bore size in the action and had it machined out which left it a bit thin. Some people have a phobia, my first 7 one offs had 3/8" bore and first had an Hammerli barrel turned down to 12mm dia underside machined convex, that twanged like a tuning fork. Never to this day seen any other rifle approach for the groups it left at 55 and 60 yards repetitively.

If its original supplied barrel it must have been sleeved up or bore of action sleeved down prior to selling, Sam only has a toy lathe.

Same serviced my old GC2 and i will say it came spot on . ??? HOLLY

I think there was a lot more talk than action regarding my ISP, the breech was not substantially altered, probably because what Sam wanted to do was not possible.

There are a fair few talented guys out there these days, join a group on facebook call 'the stock market, you may find someone not too far away from where you live.

cheer's Neil, seems everyone's really busy lead times are not week's but months .