Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
john79

isp airstream

Recommended Posts

And the day before you pick it up . you get run over . life is a bitch John and then you die ??? HOLLY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so I got my action no:38 just before xmas and now Shaun hill has just finished my Alutec stock ....will take afew pic's on Saturday with action fitted 

 

 

27752158_1515048445210361_5199154311231434994_n.jpg

27857998_1515048448543694_7843460152967361962_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So john now you have it . what is the aim . world domination . or just club stuff . what is the lifter on it ??? HOLLY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its a Rowan adjustable lifter Holly!......will be using this at the HFT WORLDS COMP  @ kelmarsh in April ....might have a go at FT as I live next door to Sywell ft club aswell 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not long before you start getting pellet obsessed then :) 

 

Mine both like JSB exact, tried express but exacts have the edge although that may be di related rather than specifically exact/express.  Exacts shoot better than me so can't be bothered to spend any more time on this.  Not found either ISP to be especially di sensitive although some di's do shoot marginally better but might just be me on the day rather than the pellet, but never had a really duff result with JSB's apart from one lot that shot really badly in everything.  No. 15 will shoot 4.52 and 4.53 equally well, no.18 prefers 4.52 but it's marginal.  Not tried 4.51's though but I know of ISP's that like those as well.  Pellet testing has tended to be good, gooderer or a bit more gooderer so I'm not really that obsessed now, I'll shoot a few and then shoot the rest of them.  Number 18 is still a bit of a work in progress and variations tend to be rifle related but number 15 is now sorted and like a laser.  A laser that's being shot by someone that's really wobbly and of limited talent.

 

Neither likes lube, groups get noticeably looser and I need to clean the barrel before they come back in but other ISP's I know of shoot better with lube.  Clean barrel is better on both, takes about 10 shots for them to settle after a really thorough clean with VFG rod and VP90.  I suspect it's just a few shots for the stuff that's already on the pellets to stop them oxidising consistently coating the barrel rather than 'leading in'.  Groups are fine from first shot but from 10 onwards it's a little bit betterer.  The VFG blue paste helps and I'll give them a really good rodding with it once or twice a year to polish it up and then loads of clean felts to remove all traces.  I usually remove the barrel to do this to prevent the paste getting into places where it shouldn't and will probably bung it in the ultrasound bath as well.  A cleaned barrel seems to be good for about a tin of pellets, then a quick clean will see groups tighten up a little bit but it never gets horrendous and you could probably go much longer before it starts to impact scores.  The felts never come out filthy.

 

No15 had the little splitter thing in the barrel shroud end cap, it shoots far better without it but others shoot better with it fitted as long as it's kept really clean but do keep an eye on the O ring in the collar at the end of the barrel.  There's a collar that the shroud sits on at the muzzle with an O ring that squishes to make a tight fit.  If it starts to perish or harden the shroud moves about and because the splitter is attached to the shroud that moves as well relative to the muzzle. Because of the way the shroud is mounted I suspect that some may be better centred than others hence the different results?

 

After a fill it takes about 3 shots for the reg to stabilise on both of mine.  I don't see anything at the target but with the gauge plugged in there is a 2-3 bar variation on reg recharge pressure for 2-3 shots.  Thereafter it's rock solid even if you leave it a week. It's probably anal but after a charge I'll always fire off 5 pellets. I'm getting about 95 shots per 200bar fill from both on a reg set at 94-95bar.

 

Keep an eye on the hammer, Shaun uses or used a light grease/heavy oil in the reg and some of it appears to get blown back down the exhaust valve stem onto the hammer which starts to dirty up after a while.  I run both of my hammers dry (other than a wipe with VP90 and then a clean cloth to remove the vast majority of it) and do clean them on a fairly regular basis which helps keep the MV uber consistent.  If it's really wet I'll drop it out when I get home and clean to prevent it rusting, if water has got in then potentially so has grit and dirt.  I use a completely different lube in the reg in very small quantities which stays put so not seeing anything appearing on the hammer, but they still like to be cleaned.  The hammer is fairly exposed to the elements so dust, dirt and moisture can easily find it's way in.

 

Enjoy!

 

Monty

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You say your of limited talent Monty . but i seem to remember you doing pretty well a while back . but you have been  invisible of late . lost interest or just busy ??? HOLLY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit of both Holly, at the club every week but mainly potter around and sort things out.  Currently it's mostly building a new course for the next round of winter league in the top part of the woods. 

 

Yes, I did have a year or so of hitting much more stuff than I missed and when I did miss I did it very competently :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes i seem to remember you winning the shoot at Basingstoke last year . and that was in no way an easy shoot .??? HOLLY 

 

PS let us hope it does not rain again for the shoot at buccs . that was awful last time . rain mud and cold . urggg 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Monty said:

Not long before you start getting pellet obsessed then :) 

 

Mine both like JSB exact, tried express but exacts have the edge although that may be di related rather than specifically exact/express.  Exacts shoot better than me so can't be bothered to spend any more time on this.  Not found either ISP to be especially di sensitive although some di's do shoot marginally better but might just be me on the day rather than the pellet, but never had a really duff result with JSB's apart from one lot that shot really badly in everything.  No. 15 will shoot 4.52 and 4.53 equally well, no.18 prefers 4.52 but it's marginal.  Not tried 4.51's though but I know of ISP's that like those as well.  Pellet testing has tended to be good, gooderer or a bit more gooderer so I'm not really that obsessed now, I'll shoot a few and then shoot the rest of them.  Number 18 is still a bit of a work in progress and variations tend to be rifle related but number 15 is now sorted and like a laser.  A laser that's being shot by someone that's really wobbly and of limited talent.

 

Neither likes lube, groups get noticeably looser and I need to clean the barrel before they come back in but other ISP's I know of shoot better with lube.  Clean barrel is better on both, takes about 10 shots for them to settle after a really thorough clean with VFG rod and VP90.  I suspect it's just a few shots for the stuff that's already on the pellets to stop them oxidising consistently coating the barrel rather than 'leading in'.  Groups are fine from first shot but from 10 onwards it's a little bit betterer.  The VFG blue paste helps and I'll give them a really good rodding with it once or twice a year to polish it up and then loads of clean felts to remove all traces.  I usually remove the barrel to do this to prevent the paste getting into places where it shouldn't and will probably bung it in the ultrasound bath as well.  A cleaned barrel seems to be good for about a tin of pellets, then a quick clean will see groups tighten up a little bit but it never gets horrendous and you could probably go much longer before it starts to impact scores.  The felts never come out filthy.

 

No15 had the little splitter thing in the barrel shroud end cap, it shoots far better without it but others shoot better with it fitted as long as it's kept really clean but do keep an eye on the O ring in the collar at the end of the barrel.  There's a collar that the shroud sits on at the muzzle with an O ring that squishes to make a tight fit.  If it starts to perish or harden the shroud moves about and because the splitter is attached to the shroud that moves as well relative to the muzzle. Because of the way the shroud is mounted I suspect that some may be better centred than others hence the different results?

 

After a fill it takes about 3 shots for the reg to stabilise on both of mine.  I don't see anything at the target but with the gauge plugged in there is a 2-3 bar variation on reg recharge pressure for 2-3 shots.  Thereafter it's rock solid even if you leave it a week. It's probably anal but after a charge I'll always fire off 5 pellets. I'm getting about 95 shots per 200bar fill from both on a reg set at 94-95bar.

 

Keep an eye on the hammer, Shaun uses or used a light grease/heavy oil in the reg and some of it appears to get blown back down the exhaust valve stem onto the hammer which starts to dirty up after a while.  I run both of my hammers dry (other than a wipe with VP90 and then a clean cloth to remove the vast majority of it) and do clean them on a fairly regular basis which helps keep the MV uber consistent.  If it's really wet I'll drop it out when I get home and clean to prevent it rusting, if water has got in then potentially so has grit and dirt.  I use a completely different lube in the reg in very small quantities which stays put so not seeing anything appearing on the hammer, but they still like to be cleaned.  The hammer is fairly exposed to the elements so dust, dirt and moisture can easily find it's way in.

 

Enjoy!

 

Monty

 

 

cheers Monty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, holly said:

Yes i seem to remember you winning the shoot at Basingstoke last year . and that was in no way an easy shoot .??? HOLLY 

 

PS let us hope it does not rain again for the shoot at buccs . that was awful last time . rain mud and cold . urggg 

Yeah, the one I missed at Basingstoke was because I was too busy bitching with Farnworth :) 

 

Next shoot is in the other side of the woods, I went up yesterday with Tony and the ground in places is still very boggy but the firing line is OK and we're making new paths to get up the hill. We only shoot there once per year for WL so in pretty good condition under foot. The bit down from the car park is still pretty naff though. If we get a few days of dry weather it'll firm up otherwise it'll be atrocious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, john79 said:

cheers Monty

No problem John. Forgot to mention that the trigger is mounted on a slot and can move fore and aft by about 3mm. Where it sits is really important as it adjusts the hammer stroke. Move it back and you'll see a really big power increase, forward and it drops off. It's way more powerful than the hammer spring tensioner. 1mm of hammer preload is about the same as 0.25mm of trigger movement. I've found a longish stroke with much less preload tends to shoot smoother, I've made a new top hat for the spring with a much thinner seat that the standard one. Mess about with it to find what you like. Too far either way and it won't fire

Edited by Monty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Monty said:

Yeah, the one I missed at Basingstoke was because I was too busy bitching with Farnworth :) 

 

Next shoot is in the other side of the woods, I went up yesterday with Tony and the ground in places is still very boggy but the firing line is OK and we're making new paths to get up the hill. We only shoot there once per year for WL so in pretty good condition under foot. The bit down from the car park is still pretty naff though. If we get a few days of dry weather it'll firm up otherwise it'll be atrocious. 

The weather forecast looks good for next week . fingers crossed ??? HOLLY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, holly said:

The weather forecast looks good for next week . fingers crossed ??? HOLLY

Couldn't be much worse than the last round which was probably the nastiest we've had since that time it snowed/rained/localised tornado's at Wendover a few years ago.  Whatever the weather the paths down to the plink will be very muddy, it's not had a chance to recover since the last round.  We've got about 6 targets currently in the 40's on the new course that we can easily move on the Sunday morning and be repositioned anywhere between 10 and 55, if it's windy we'll bring them in a bit, calm we'll push a few out a bit. Or maybe we'll just push them out regardless :f2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I pick up my steyr at  the next buccs shoot . so if they leave the zero range out i might forgo the pleasures of the  shoot and see how that goes ??? HOLLY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well it is a beaut of a rifle john . but it begs the question . . why do you need such a rifle to shoot 45 yards max . cos i want it i suppose will be the answer  it is the same , or was the same in FT . once Ft got off the ground , it became a kit race . till we are at a stage where a top flight outfit is in the region of £6000 or more . £1000 for a stock . do you need it . maybe not . do you want it . YES ??? HOLLY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Monty said:

How does it shoot?

 

1 hour ago, Monty said:

How does it shoot?

Its very good Monty....it doesn't seem pellet/die fussy ..it's very dead to shoot the balance is perfect for standers for me, 5 fps over the crono with unweighed pellets  going out this morning to do some long range testing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Been out practicing with it today and its great, produces thumb nail size groups at 55yrds with the 2 dies of  jsb pellets I have , I'm using a fixed 10x scope with px set at 25yrds so I'm sure these groups could be improved on if I was to use a high mag scope like you guy's have.

 

So far looking very good will give the barrel a clean for the first time and see if this could improve or make thinks go to pot lol...

 

One thing I noticed was it seemed to come off reg at about 100-105 bar which seems a bit high to me .....give it a few tins to see if it settles .

 

john.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of the ISP's I've stuck my digital gauge into over the past year have all had the reg set above 100 bar, one was 118. Doesn't seem to hurt accuracy but you might see a big power spike as it comes off reg. I keep mine mid 90's and power blip is now 10fps rather than 30+ and accuracy hasn't changed. If you fancy a gauge don't get an analogue one, digital is the only way to do it with any certainty. Even a £100 analogue is a waste of time and money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 9:40 AM, holly said:

I pick up my steyr at  the next buccs shoot . so if they leave the zero range out i might forgo the pleasures of the  shoot and see how that goes ??? HOLLY

I'll keep the plink open but once we start shooting the left hand side will be closed as the last gate is right on the edge of it.  We will have the signing in gazebo down at the plink as will the hot soup du jour station, other assorted hot beverages and the after shoot canapes.  Don't eat all of them please. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Monty said:

All of the ISP's I've stuck my digital gauge into over the past year have all had the reg set above 100 bar, one was 118. Doesn't seem to hurt accuracy but you might see a big power spike as it comes off reg. I keep mine mid 90's and power blip is now 10fps rather than 30+ and accuracy hasn't changed. If you fancy a gauge don't get an analogue one, digital is the only way to do it with any certainty. Even a £100 analogue is a waste of time and money.

I was reading a post on a group on Facebook and it was about how springers tend to take less wind than pcp’s. Now the consensus was that a springer will have about 130 bar when fired compared to a pcp of around 80-110 bar. They did some testing and it was believed because of the higher bar the pellet gets flared more giving it a higher BC down range. A BSA R10

was used as a test bed and set at 130 bar. It was according to the tests that at the higher setting it was taking less wind than before,so maybe there might be something in it to have the bar set higher. Of course it could just be that there was less wind after but it made interesting reading. I have noticed it myself with springers taking less wind but thought maybe I was imagining it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, springboy said:

I was reading a post on a group on Facebook and it was about how springers tend to take less wind than pcp’s. Now the consensus was that a springer will have about 130 bar when fired compared to a pcp of around 80-110 bar. They did some testing and it was believed because of the higher bar the pellet gets flared more giving it a higher BC down range. A BSA R10

was used as a test bed and set at 130 bar. It was according to the tests that at the higher setting it was taking less wind than before,so maybe there might be something in it to have the bar set higher. Of course it could just be that there was less wind after but it made interesting reading. I have noticed it myself with springers taking less wind but thought maybe I was imagining it. 

Ah that sounds like an intresting read....don't have a link do ya?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

itnwas a few weeks ago now don’t know if I’ll be able to find it but I’ll have a look. It’s a very active page so it may be way down the line now. Like I said I’ve noticed it with my springers when inshoot them,it’s not a lot but where I hear people saying they’ve given a kill of wind I’ve only given it left or right edge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got a reply from Tony and he said it did not help. I was reading the thread at work and got as far as I got and all sounded good,I didn’t get to the end of the thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, springboy said:

Just got a reply from Tony and he said it did not help. I was reading the thread at work and got as far as I got and all sounded good,I didn’t get to the end of the thread. 

ok I seen your post asking Tony on lost volume page...it sounds like a good theory !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The theory is that if the pellet gets bellowed it makes it shorter and raises the BC 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Monty said:

I'll keep the plink open but once we start shooting the left hand side will be closed as the last gate is right on the edge of it.  We will have the signing in gazebo down at the plink as will the hot soup du jour station, other assorted hot beverages and the after shoot canapes.  Don't eat all of them please. 

 

I thought about it monty . but cannot duck the last but one shoot shoot . my shutz is still leaking but only slowly . so will do the course and sort the new Steyr out in the week . don't have the barrel to put on it anyway yet . let us hope sure shot gets a move on if they are a gonna exchange em ??? HOLLY

 

PS Food Hey . hmm like the sound of that . don't let andy any where near it .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, holly said:

I thought about it monty . but cannot duck the last but one shoot shoot . my shutz is still leaking but only slowly . so will do the course and sort the new Steyr out in the week . don't have the barrel to put on it anyway yet . let us hope sure shot gets a move on if they are a gonna exchange em ??? HOLLY

 

PS Food Hey . hmm like the sound of that . don't let andy any where near it .

Good man!  Yeah, hopefully there will be a resolution soon for the Aeron 16mm barrels.  To be honest Holly I would look to get a different one/refund depending on what the offer is.  Phil has done a bucket load of work on his and it is now shooting straight but appears to be VERY pellet fussy (not in an anal 'oh this pellet groups 2mm CTC better than this one' but swings from atrocious to OK) but it isn't astounding enough to pay what you did for it.  How long it stays shooting OK for is anyones guess, it might come from the 'CZ suppliers factory' but the one you have ain't a CZ and that will always bother you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×