DaveL

Airgunforum, what future?

Could try sticking the for sale section at the front , to try to get it moving . and of course if the shooters who use the FT section visit the general and answer or try to answer what ever questions are asked . that might help ??? HOLLY

PS Which i will have a go at .

A closed group will attract less users.

How so? The group is still visible on a search but posts are only visible to members so not spamming other peoples news feed.

I've run a few forums in my time and one of the biggest mistakes everyone makes is the section disease that is a forum for everything and they are all dead, you are much better having 5 active sections than 99 that aren't.

Makes sense ??? HOLLY

Nat's could do a rejig ??? HOLLY

I've run a few forums in my time and one of the biggest mistakes everyone makes is the section disease that is a forum for everything and they are all dead, you are much better having 5 active sections than 99 that aren't.

Indeed. Barely any of the sections here have had any use in the last month. Some go back years since being used.

Just in case... https://www.facebook.com/groups/1355586904569748/

Edited by SteveC200

Well, that's a shame, I like the vibe here.

So much this ^^^^.

Could try sticking the for sale section at the front , to try to get it moving . and of course if the shooters who use the FT section visit the general and answer or try to answer what ever questions are asked . that might help ??? HOLLY

PS Which i will have a go at .

I think the fact that Dave asked the question on this (your/FT) section speaks volumes...some of you guys are on here daily & have been for years...how about taking the forum on...you have used it & continue to do so...breath some life into it & rejig it where required...it would be awful if it were to close down..Raymundo would turn in his grave if he thought active user's wouldn't step up to the plate.

Dave has loyally soldiered on for years for many reasons...help him out guys or lose it. :dunno:

I think the problem is that running a forum isn't a skillset many can pick up on. As Dave suggests, some back end work will be required, and this isn't something many have a knowledge of. I know from running one myself it's not something most people will pick up on. I struggle, there's always something to learn, always something to do, and that's before you get in and read the content. Put it this way, i've been running STB for a decade and in that time I can barely think of anyone who has the skillset and time to take another on. Otherwise i'd suggest them in a flash.

Well if there is any money in running a Forum ? perhaps nat's could take it on . might help out with the champagne bill on the next Holiday ? HOLLY

I guess the future is in your hands...you guys use this service for free day in day out...someone has to pay for it & monitor it...it's well established & has been for years...collectively why can't you take it on...RobF could (maybe) guide you..Dave would always give advice...he just needs a rest & someone with vigour to push it forward...Ray tried but some -profanity-er wanted him for a forum upstairs...

if it goes to face-ache, you've lost me - not got an account & not planning on one (mind you, might be a reason for going - that's just so I beat Holly to it :thefinger:)

In the beginning and for some years, we offered to re-draw expertise into fairly well written articles - BUT - it relied on members committing their expertise in writing and submitting it to the editors on the forum.

We had some contributions that verged on the unintelligible, but even those contributions were turned into understandable English and were always credited to their original authors. Some were reproduced as submitted but as other forums copied the ideas, so material supply was diluted.

When material was in short supply, the management team wrote material under various pseudonyms but it wasn't possible to continue just on the contributions of the very few, so material dried up and since then, nothing has been submitted for years and years.

Moderators came and went. Too often they went after they agreed to update and maintain a section of the forum. Often they just disappeared without a word and this has left maintenance to John B and myself for the last few years. Perhaps the title was desirable but any work associated with it was not. I guess it's nothing new to the few who really run things.

Now, with both John and myself on the outside of shooting, we're looking to hand over the reins to new blood or to bow out as gracefully as possible.

Dave

In case nobody is interested on here . would you like me to put it on the other forums Dave .? never seen a forum for sale before ??? HOLLY

In case nobody is interested on here . would you like me to put it on the other forums Dave .? never seen a forum for sale before ??? HOLLY

The fact that there were 6 posts above this tonight proves that you guys don't give a -profanity- if this forum carries on or not...if you did you would be trying to save it...you seem happy to use it as a convenient place to talk about target shooting but oblivious that it might fold if no one takes it on...where will you go in a few weeks time...???

Its not a case of not giving a stuff about it,its the fact some of us (myself included)wouldnt have a clue how to run it. I for one dont have a computer and wouldnt know how to work one if I did. Dont fancy it yourself mike?

Edited by springboy

Mike you have to know what you are doing to take on something like this . that narrows it down to a few not the many . i like this forum and support it by using it and posting on it . run it . fraid not . will be a real shame to see it go . ??? HOLLY

The fact that there were 6 posts above this tonight proves that you guys don't give a -profanity- if this forum carries on or not...if you did you would be trying to save it...you seem happy to use it as a convenient place to talk about target shooting but oblivious that it might fold if no one takes it on...where will you go in a few weeks time...???

I'm not sure what can be done to be honest. Dave alluded to the forums software needing an update, which is something requiring technical knowledge as there will likely be upgrades needed on the backend to support that. Then there's the cost of hosting a website. Then there's the technical expertise in running a forum, some are simple, some are less so. And then there's the other elements of moderation. Pulling all those rabbits out of a hat with no experience or expertise is highly unlikely, and if it was likely then the forum (with perhaps 20 visitors) wouldn't probably be in the position it is. Forums ultimately are always going to have a limited lifespan.

My help can't extend to another forum because it wouldn't be help, it would be actually doing it because you either know how to do it, or you don't, afaik there's no running an internet forum for dummies book.

Casting aspersions about how much the regular posters care is as helpful as it's relevant.

What he said ??? HOLLY

I find that quite offensive as you have no idea if someone has spoken about taking the forum on or not.

I find that quite offensive as you have no idea if someone has spoken about taking the forum on or not.

I agree with what Nat says 100% if running a forum turns you into the kind of person that posts like that I will pass as well thanks.........turn the lights off and don’t let the door handle hit you in the ass.

He doesn't run the forum though ;) he's making assumptions that no one has spoken to Dave.

Not meant to be Nat....I care...this section is the most used part & I hoped a "saviour" might be forthcoming. I know it wouldn't be easy but it must be worth saving just so you guy's/girls can continue your daily chats... :dunno:

If no one person can/could run it how about a few of you....i'm too old & have zero tech knowledge...i'm not trying to slate you more enthuse you & apologise if it seemed that way.I really hope someone takes it on....

So sad, I have been reading this forum (well this section) for years and would be sorry to see it all ended.

As has already been pointed out the chat somewhat drifts off subject (usually cake?), probably due to the closeness of the small group who contribute, as has been said "like a pub chat", but when there is some technical input the guys inputting it seem to know their stuff, that is why I read it so regularly - and probably one of the reasons for not contributing was that it would have felt like butting into a group having a chat in the pub - but it didn't feel cliquey like some other forums can.

I would like to thank Dave and all the other behind the scenes people who have made it this far, and I sincerely hope someone takes up the reins.

I have several hobbies and try my best put something back into all of them (work parties, course setting, passing on what limited knowledge I have etc.) and I would love to help here but I have absolutely no idea what is involved in forums?

I think Mad Mikes post was a little strong but may be a reflection of the strength of feeling, I am guessing he has put some time and effort in and cannot understand why no one is offering to help?

....have to say when I first read this notice I was tempted to volunteer just so I could throw Rob off.... :rofl2:......joking.... :cheers:

Cheers mate...

Can I just make my position VERY clear.

I am just a concerned member on here...& would hate to see it disappear . :thumb:

Just to make it clear I know I'm not the only one who's been talking to Dave about keeping this forum alive. So no it's not a case of no one offering to help it's a case of ongoing discussions :)

Edited by NatS

The first question you should be asking is can you raise £300-400 a year to run this forum?

With the right advertising that shouldn't be a problem. Doesn't need to be obtrusive pop-ups everywhere just a subtle ad. here and there.