DaveL

Airgunforum, what future?

Is the 3-400 a guesstimate or a reasonable figure?

Doesn't sound much? Also any idea on time required to admin it?

Matt

If you know how to admin it then you'll know how much time it takes.

The first question you should be asking is can you raise £300-400 a year to run this forum?

With the right advertising that shouldn't be a problem. Doesn't need to be obtrusive pop-ups everywhere just a subtle ad. here and there.

I'll doubt you'll see a 1/10th of that on the amount of traffic this place does.

Is the 3-400 a guesstimate or a reasonable figure?

Doesn't sound much? Also any idea on time required to admin it?

Matt

No, that's not a guess, it's based on IPB cloud costs or what it costs to run a decent server.

Edited by PelletOnPellet

Just to make it clear I know I'm not the only one who's been talking to Dave about keeping this forum alive. So no it's not a case of no one offering to help it's a case of ongoing discussions :)

Thank you.. :thumb:

With the right advertising that shouldn't be a problem. Doesn't need to be obtrusive pop-ups everywhere just a subtle ad. here and there.

I'll doubt you'll see a 1/10th of that on the amount of traffic this place does.

Rob is correct here, the numbers may look good on Adsense but that depends on so many factors and you've still got to get the clicks. I don't know what the traffic is here but I'd have an educated guess that you'd make £120 per year.

The simple way to do it is just get the Domain from Dave and run the site from IPB's $20 Cloud, if you need help with that then I can help, equally if you need help with the existing server I'll help because I know what to do and have loads of exp. I'll also chip in.

But I will say I have no interesting in being the admin or running the site because I've got enough on my plate :)

I am offering to GIVE the forum to a suitable successor. Whoever invented the idea it's for sale needs to clean his glasses, so let's stamp on that piecee of "false news" straight away.

John and I have PROMISED to give support to a successor during a handover period that does NOT have time limits. We keep our threats and promises and so don't make a lot of either.

John presently hosts it for free so I don't know what hosting would cost.

Some time ago, I bought lifetime support for the board's software but frankly, I've forgotten what that implies.

John hasn't updated the forum to the latest version because the present state is adequate for the level of use.

Last May I purchased 2 years of domain registration and totally ignored the buckets of spam trying to sell me the same registration for a vast sum or the system would disappear. It's still here.

Yes, I've had enquiries to purchase the domain name, mainly from American sources but they were wasting their time.

It NEEDS some dynamism, some updates, some mods who would do some work and some members who would contribute material.

For the remaining membership, you shouldn't forget that you are USERS of a facility provided for your convenience.

DaveL

Mick over on the BBS ( T20 ) has said whoever takes the forum on . he will be glad to help him get going if needed ??? HOLLY

Mick over on the BBS ( T20 ) has said whoever takes the forum on . he will be glad to help him get going if needed ??? HOLLY

To be fair Holly he said more than that...quite childish in some ways....Raygun will be watching over this..god knows what he will be thinking...Mods from the (trade funded) BB5 offering to help steer this forum...is that the way to go..?

Id be happy to chip in the fees,I think the forum is worth it and the end of the day. Ive had some good convos on here and Id like it to continue in the future.

Id be happy to chip in the fees,I think the forum is worth it and the end of the day. Ive had some good convos on here and Id like it to continue in the future.

And there seems to be the conundrum....guys wanting to help...you with possible help with funding...Pellet on Pellet with the tech knowledge...it just needs someone to collate it all...a forum which is free from trade connections & ties should be encouraged... :cheers:

Dave and Ray( r.i.p.) have been some of nicest people that I have interacted with in airguns. I would like to thank Dave for that -- and I should be happy to contribute financially if feasible. Dave you will get a PM .

Right so we have financial support, technical support, offer of day to day support.. happy days?

To be fair Holly he said more than that...quite childish in some ways....Raygun will be watching over this..god knows what he will be thinking...Mods from the (trade funded) BB5 offering to help steer this forum...is that the way to go..?

No sir but when the s---e hits the fan it is not a bad idea to gather what support you can . things move on ??? HOLLY

No sir but when the s---e hits the fan it is not a bad idea to gather what support you can . things move on ??? HOLLY

If that's the best support you can come up with Holly...it is time to move on... :lol2:

At least Holly is doing something Mike, that is as opposed to calling the rest of us a bunch of idle ingrates.

Now remind me, you have done what exactly to help save the forum?

At least Holly is doing something Mike, that is as opposed to calling the rest of us a bunch of idle ingrates.

Now remind me, you have done what exactly to help save the forum?

Your words Neil...what have YOU done...i'm npt suggesting you are idle...just saying burying your heads in the sand ain't going to help...i'm trying to enthuse you guys that use this facility every day for free,,,what are you doing to help save it.?

Enthuse us!

Are you flipping joking?

All you have done is come on and tell us that if WE do not do something, the handful of us that regularly chat about FT, bikes, military operations, Holly's shooting prowess and all sorts of other bollx, if WE do not do something then the forum will be lost.

Enthuse us!

Are you flipping joking?

All you have done is come on and tell us that if WE do not do something, the handful of us that regularly chat about FT, bikes, military operations, Holly's shooting prowess and all sorts of other bollx, if WE do not do something then the forum will be lost.

That's it exactly...as it stands you guys are the only ones who regularly post...so shouldn't you try save it...or lose it.?

well mike Neil has a valid point . as another point . none of the forums charge to go on em . they are all free ??? HOLLY

well mike Neil has a valid point . as another point . none of the forums charge to go on em . they are all free ??? HOLLY

They are free to use...but the BBS is paid for/funded by Ramsbottoms...the Airgunforun.co is paid for by members contributions....this forum is funded by DaveL...& maintained by JohnB......it's free for you guys to use because of their generosity.

Do you pay a contribution then Mike?

Do you pay a contribution then Mike?

There is no way to contribute to this one is there....???

I do contribute to the main one I visit...voluntarily.

bit pointless this is it not . he did , i did . will solve nothing ??? HOLLY

bit pointless this is it not . he did , i did . will solve nothing ??? HOLLY

It's got you FT guys off your @rses & talking though hasn't it....maybe if I hadn't dropped by you would still be talking about mill dot's & the like till it was closed down...fingers in your ear's singing la la la....this forum is provided/supervised/funded for your benefit....it doesn't cost you any money but should command your respect...why not try to save it...?

Mike one thing we do not talk about is mil-dots, that's firmly HFT's domain.

We prefer to discuss the finer points of FT like the quality and quantity of cake at a shoot, much more relevant.

Regarding the forum itself, there are wheels chugging away in the background, so assuming that we're sitting here with our thumbs up our -bottoms- is not appreciated, thanks.

I think they are mike . vitriol filled statements like yours do not help matters at all . ??? HOLLY

I think people are getting a taste of what running a forum can be like Mike, well done.

Recriminations will get nobody anywhere Rob . ??? HOLLY