DaveL

Airgunforum, what future?

The amusing thing about all of the above is that essentially everyone wants the same thing, so butting heads isn't helping anyone.

You're right Rob although I've seen much much worse.

You can count on me for financial support as well, depending on having enough time I might be able to help with moderation as well.

People moaning on a forum, well I never. :)

As before I'll help and have the skills on the code/server side that you need.

Positive offers to help...& in different area's....brilliant... :clap:

It has been pointed out Dave that guests cannot see anything airgun . so maybe not join thinking it is not for them ??? HOLLY

Sounds like folks are costing at 'speculative' figures.

The forum that I'm 'head honcho' of has just 'migrated' to a private server, the ones we were on closed (read sold to another company), luckily, we were offered space on a members server - for a 'contribution to his electric bill' - about £30 a year. We then purchased our domain name for £20 for 2 years. As we were getting some spammers finding us, we then signed up with a company called 'Cleantalk' who does all the filtering out of the spam-bots & spammers, which initially cost £22 for 3 years, this has been extended by taking up various 'bonuses' they offer.

Reason that I haven't offered help, is that I'm tied up enough as it is & knowing the workload of running a forum (depending on how 'busy' it is, of course) cannot commit to even offering to help mod it, and I'm saved from having to do the technical side of things on 'my' forum as the chap whose server we're on does all that - I come on here & the others that I'm not helping to run for a bit of relaxation - to read some posts, have a chat and see what some of the old -poots- are talking about. :escape:

As to comments regarding T-20, I've met Mick & he's one heck of a helpful bloke, bit of a 'dry' sense of humour, and he hasn't got a 'side' that I noticed, and lives airguns & their communities.

Edited by SuffolkRifle

Nope, IPB Cloud server costs (link bottom right) and I own two, which is very different to bumming some space off a mate.

Not speculative at all. I've been hosting for about 10 years now so have an idea of what it costs.

Depends how you do it. You can rent server to host on or simply some space. Neither is free and obviously the former would be much more expensive then the latter.

The forum that I'm 'head honcho' of has just 'migrated' to a private server, the ones we were on closed (read sold to another company), luckily, we were offered space on a members server - for a 'contribution to his electric bill' - about £30 a year. We then purchased our domain name for £20 for 2 years. As we were getting some spammers finding us, we then signed up with a company called 'Cleantalk' who does all the filtering out of the spam-bots & spammers, which initially cost £22 for 3 years, this has been extended by taking up various 'bonuses' they offer.

Reason that I haven't offered help, is that I'm tied up enough as it is & knowing the workload of running a forum (depending on how 'busy' it is, of course) cannot commit to even offering to help mod it, and I'm saved from having to do the technical side of things on 'my' forum as the chap whose server we're on does all that - I come on here & the others that I'm not helping to run for a bit of relaxation - to read some posts, have a chat and see what some of the old -poots- are talking about. :escape:

As to comments regarding T-20, I've met Mick & he's one heck of a helpful bloke, bit of a 'dry' sense of humour, and he hasn't got a 'side' that I noticed, and lives airguns & their communities.

Suffolk , i really don't think you should call Colin an old poot ( even if he is ) ??? HOLLY :poster_oops::cheers:

Depends how you do it. You can rent server to host on or simply some space. Neither is free and obviously the former would be much more expensive then the latter.

You won't get a server for a few £100 a year. Try a few £100 a month and you'll be close.

Somewhere in between is shared hosting which is what I run, which is still expensive.

Space is just that. If the server though is overloaded, or you overload it, then it's no good. The most expensive commodity is disk space and ram. Bandwidth is cheap, I can shift 750gb a month before they come knocking. But the forum takes up almost 1/2 the disk space (if you include my emails which live on it).

Lots of people stack them high and sell them cheap which means servers lag when everyone comes in from tea and looks up the forum. With something small like this, no problem.

Martin's suggestion is the good one. Throw it over to IPB and cloud host. They can manage the server, do all the updates etc and all you need to do is pay and admin the board.

I didn't say you could get a dedi server for £100 a year. I used to pay over £300 a quarter for a dedi, which hosted 7 gaming servers on it.

Would be total overkill for this forum tbh.

Edited by NatS

No but a server is overkill for this.

You could run this from a bedroom for next to naff all, it's not exactly resource hungry.

John B presently hosts the forum on his site and he'd probably be happy to continue for a small fee, but that's my speculation.

I've asked John to contact NatS because they will probably speak the same language. I have my hands rather full with matters domestique at the moment, but have a ruck of passwords etc. at the ready for now.

To those who can't help with running the forum, rack your brains to think of things that are and are not possible to do to set the forum apart once more, as it was in the past before everyone else decided to catch up. Think of material you could provide that could add to the "library" as it was once called. THAT is supporting a forum as distinct from being a USER of a forum. C O N T R I B U T E.

Moderators should be willing to take on an area of responsibility, such as keeping he listings of manufacturers and gun dealers up to date.

Incidentally, we also pioneered things behind the scenes that helped make all the forums places where the cheats and swindlers found it heavy weather to get up to their mischief, but users weren't able to see its success.

I'm sure many would chuck a buck in the hat, just as I would, even though the forum is no longer something that's at the top of my list of interests.

My hopes are that it would be administered competently, moderated firmly and FAIRLY in an even-handed manner, in keeping with the standards we set out in the very beginning. Pressures can come from different places, such as when there was the anti-tamper debate on here, where discussion was suppressed elsewhere. We weathered that storm and were able to show that anti-tamper protected the manufacturer and not the end user, but that's old material now.

So, guys, please stop squabbling, be friends and push in the same direction. That way, something good can come from this handover.

DaveL

OK Dave , i will do a Beginners guide to FT

Will do a airgun forum data base for the GC2 ??? HOLLY

People moaning on a forum, well I never. :)

As before I'll help and have the skills on the code/server side that you need.

Geek

AT is still a hot topic, and still suppressed elsewhere.

I have already made an offer to Nat regarding equipment reviews, both ancient and modern, and did a beginners guide (in Gun Mart) some years ago that could be updated.

As far as i know it is only suppressed on the BBS cos of uncle terry ??? HOLLY

Yeah, there's a bloke with a load of credibility after the Steyr 'automatic' rifle / pistol debacle.

He has sold out for filthy lucre ??? HOLLY

Just been thinking ( ouch ) if nat's takes over the running of this forum . there will be no more smutty jokes , no more taking the mick out of 9015s . and a section on wine . in that case , we want a section on Cake for the boy's ??? HOLLY

PS think i will start it off with a Banana Cake . yum .

Nahhh more likely to introduce a whine section... ;)

Know that at the moment, this is largely the only section being posted on, but I wouldn't like to see the forum heading to being another FT only one, (there are forums which are 'niche' ones) I think that if it did it'd lose its identity, but there aren't many that cover the whole sport from plinking to serious competition.

One thing at a time, if interesting, informative items are posted, the people will come. It's always been like that.

Colin could do a How to miss theme . good at that is colin ??? HOLLY

PS Bazza could do a , how i bought a rifle and it never worked . darron could do a , damn , i thought i was gonna win that one . Neil could do 30 K ride without getting out of his armchair . Rob could do a rules for beginners . i could do . how to be perfect without even trying . nat's could do , your wine list for christmas ( and then drink it ) ??? HOLLY

As far as i know it is only suppressed on the BBS cos of uncle terry ??? HOLLY

Thanks for highlighting that Holly...that's why it's nice to have forums(like this)where you can be allowed to debate every subject...especially one's as important as thAT.For any one single person to forbid such debate smacks of possible control by the trade ???

Terry and BBS are totally controlled by the trade.

I don't know the guy so have no allegiance or loyalty to him, but his belligerence during the Steyr 'auto' rifle debacle, which incidentally was ENTIRELY caused and generated by the trade, not the Police or the mysterious 'man in black' from the Home Office, showed how controlled he is.

He is also one of the reasons I have stopped writing for the recognised press, as it is now assumed by many that if your write a good review, then the product is actually rubbish and the writer has been paid by the manufacturer to write that review. It does not seem to matter how much a reviewer protests, we are all seen as 'bent'.

Terry and BBS are totally controlled by the trade.

I don't know the guy so have no allegiance or loyalty to him, but his belligerence during the Steyr 'auto' rifle debacle, which incidentally was ENTIRELY caused and generated by the trade, not the Police or the mysterious 'man in black' from the Home Office, showed how controlled he is.

He is also one of the reasons I have stopped writing for the recognised press, as it is now assumed by many that if your write a good review, then the product is actually rubbish and the writer has been paid by the manufacturer to write that review. It does not seem to matter how much a reviewer protests, we are all seen as 'bent'.

That sounds very much like something Raygun would have said...concise to the point & without malice...you have my vote !!