DaveL

Airgunforum, what future?

What makes you think WE enjoy the nonsensical threads Monty?

It’s all part of Holly’s therapy.

He is the Patrick McGoohan of the FT World and after gassing and transporting to the Rock we are trying to find out what makes him tick...:grin:

Neil, the nonsensical threads, off topic posts, cake related stuff have your fingerprints all over it (as well as the rest of the AGF 12). But especially the cake stuff. You may not have initiated them but the evidence is there for all to see of willing participation.

I think it's 2999 posts too late to blame Holly :)

NeilS - John B's presently up to the earballs with building mods to his home, but will contact you soon.

Monty - have you seen the index files for most of the tech sections? That represented our state of the art before facebook et al emerged but who knows what new BBS software may embrace? I too would like to see a far better indexing system on the forum because the best I could come up with - a file named INDEX - seemed to be beyond the wit and ken of many users, judging by the number of moans I used to receive. Once pointed to the INDEX file, the penny dropped and users were happy.

We used to put up pix of different guns and give a rundown on them. That stopped when the people who drove the forum at the time exhausted their inventories. Only rare contributions from users. We used to do stripdowns and rebuilds but that suffered a similar fate, probably exacerbated by AT, so there's nothing on here about guns that are 10 years old or less. I used to put the stuff up on the forum, but it's been so long, I've forgotten how to do it.

I asked the question about what future the forum had precisely to get the for's and against's out in the open, to help facilitate a decision. John and I have merely propped up this forum for some years because we were out of shooting. My error is in not having asked the question sooner but it's easy to drop into a routine. Get on computer, do emails, do forum, go look at stuff you're actually interested in and so on. That's my poor excuse. I do apologise sincerely for my tardiness.

DaveL

Did somebody mention cake?

Hi Dave

yes, I totally agree that FB has absolutely no search function that's of any use but the point was that this site is predominantly using one specific part of the forum and content is predominantly chatter and as such having a search facility is not as critical. Not a comment about the integrity of the site itself or how good the search function is but about the contributions which are down to the members and not 'da management'. The technical content is dated and skinny but that's not down to you, it's about the focus of the contributing members. How a site develops and grows over time and the collateral it contains is out of the hands of the owners so I'm not in any way being critical of 'the Site'. The members have shaped AGF to be what they want and because of your work and generosity they get exactly what they want, the question is how will it be sustained going forward and do the core members want to change it. Without knowing what the consensus is it becomes talk, more talk, some light relief with a cake related thread, recriminations, blame and then the dark and eternal void of nothingness.

Monty

So what you are saying is basically the forum is just 12 guys/girl's chatting in the "smoking room"...is this worth saving?

It's refreshing to have new idea's & observation's....DaveL has hosted this site for years without asking for any help...he now needs that help...it would be nice to think it could come from "the twelve"...the reason I "bumped" the thread regarding Ray Ross/Raygun's sad death (who used to oversee this forum) was to allude to the fact that not many of that twelve even expressed any remorse he had passed away......the person who ran the forum had died but the "smoking room" would continue...I knew Ray...hence my bitterness.

I've never really understood the fear and loathing that Facebook generates!

It's just a 'thing' for staying in touch and finding out what mates are up to etc. Most of the stuff on here could easily take place on Facebook and as has been said, it's really only a dozen or so people who post regularly and most of that is the just give Holly something to talk about. It's like a form of care in the community! :)

As much as I like this forum youre right about Facebook. I belong to a few groups on Facebook that are dedicated to one specific genre. FT,Air Arms,a group for custom stocks one for re engineering and tuning springers the list is endless and you can build a good friendship on there as much as forums.As Steve says this forum needs more than a place to have a bit of banter,the banter dont have to stop because I think thats what sets it apart from some of the other forums,just some more info on other topics. I think montys comments are fair game and useful from an infrequent user that we should take on board

Not dead yet Mike ??? HOLLY

PS it should be remembered that Monty is a ISP owner . thus he expects to fail .

PS it should be remembered that Monty is a ISP owner . thus he expects to fail .

You have lost me there Holly...maybe that's why people don't join in because they don't understand..?

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make Monty that the people you are talking at don't already know.

I appreciate that at least 50% of what presently goes on here is Colin and Holly rattling on about military hardware of the past, and that the place can appear a bit clicky, but if someone, anyone, jumped in with a comment they would pretty much be accepted immediately, unlike BBS where just about every reply I have typed in the past 18 months, unless to Holly has been completely ignored. Do you remember the Fast Show sketches where all the guys completely ignore everything the woman in the sketch says? Yeah, just like that. So to me the BBS is adverts and also reading just how little some of the 'experts (with high post counts) know about anything; " I have never shot FT, but my understanding is...... for three paragraphs".

I am not sure why the other sections of this forum have slowly ground to a halt and what can be done to reinvigorate them, but it seems that you and SteveC200 are just willing any attempts to failure before we have even had a chance to try.

I agree about the BBS. I once asked a question about HFT,nothing untoward and I had about half a dozen HFT brigade jump down my throat,to the point one of them looked at my profile page and personally insulted me on the open forum about what I do for a living and said oh another expert in the making. Also I got threatened with a ban from Mr Cooper because Gareth was selling one of his collectible rifles and I said Nice rifle having a clear out are you? He said I was interfering with a sales post,now as Gareth was a club member at the time and I know him personally I didnt think it was interfering at all.

Ha ha ha ha Gary Cooper is a psycho, always has been, he and I used to lock horns on a regular basis.

My biggest regret at not attending the 2005 World FT Championships was missing seeing him get his ar$e handed to him on a plate, after months of abuse about FT and all FT shooters and how he was going to show us how it was done. One of my buddies had the misfortune to be partnered with him.... oh dear.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make Monty that the people you are talking at don't already know.

I appreciate that at least 50% of what presently goes on here is Colin and Holly rattling on about military hardware of the past, and that the place can appear a bit clicky, but if someone, anyone, jumped in with a comment they would pretty much be accepted immediately, unlike BBS where just about every reply I have typed in the past 18 months, unless to Holly has been completely ignored. Do you remember the Fast Show sketches where all the guys completely ignore everything the woman in the sketch says? Yeah, just like that. So to me the BBS is adverts and also reading just how little some of the 'experts (with high post counts) know about anything; " I have never shot FT, but my understanding is...... for three paragraphs".

I am not sure why the other sections of this forum have slowly ground to a halt and what can be done to reinvigorate them, but it seems that you and SteveC200 are just willing any attempts to failure before we have even had a chance to try.

I agree about the BBS. I once asked a question about HFT,nothing untoward and I had about half a dozen HFT brigade jump down my throat,to the point one of them looked at my profile page and personally insulted me on the open forum about what I do for a living and said oh another expert in the making. Also I got threatened with a ban from Mr Cooper because Gareth was selling one of his collectible rifles and I said Nice rifle having a clear out are you? He said I was interfering with a sales post,now as Gareth was a club member at the time and I know him personally I didnt think it was interfering at all.

You get 'self styled experts' on all forums, those that "read it on a forum/had a mate who", but who, in reality, have never touched/owned/had experience of/used the item in question, unfortunately, they tend to be so blinkered in their belief that no amount of proof to the contrary will continue to shout all opposing views down, and, again, unfortunately, the BBS has a large number of these (all, funnily enough, with 'high post counts' - wonder why?), possibly because it does have a high number of members, also, the Admin team on there seem to have had a 'clear-out' of some of the more obnoxious moderators.

I've found that (largely) this forum seems to have fewer of the 'keyboard chargers', and most of the members (OK the '12' - if some theories are correct) will accept a reasoned opposing point of view, and, by and large, have open minds - e.g. the 'Smooth Twist' thread, try posting that up on the BBS & you'd probably get 50 replies, quite possibly out of those 50 - 4 or 5 who have actually owned or used a rifle with a S/T barrel, the rest from people who've read something that says that they're rubbish.

Suffolk, that is the very reason why this is the only forum I have opened such a discussion, and I am not a shrinking violet.

Monty you say there is no technical discussion on here, but I think that Jon H and Matt have posted more on the 9015 on this forum than anywhere else. On StB there has been a little discussion and of course nothing on BBS as it is not a Birmingham made springer.

Technical discussion? No not really. Got an issue with a Steyr or Walther put a post on STB and you'll get detailed responses from Tench, Chris C or that bloke in Wimborne :) about how to fix it, what the issue is and often there's an offer of 'PM your address and I'll post you a spare'. All I see here in regards to 9015's is a sales pitch and talk of stuff that's secret and claims of illegal conversions. There has been some 9015 talk on STB, mainly about Tench making the best conversions and that some other conversions are not very good but the 9015 is a fringe rifle, much like the FWB, so posts are going to be infrequent.

So no, I really don't see any technical knowledge being shared here on that topic.

You have lost me there Holly...maybe that's why people don't join in because they don't understand..?

Probably because you are not a Ft shooter Mike . this is the FT section . therefore if you were a FT shooter you would know that a lot of ISPs have been tinkered with . thus a reason to fail . simple . like colin ??? HOLLY

Although my ISP's are in much better shape than a left handed EV2 that recently landed on the mainland and needed some fairly extensive repairs before it was working correctly. Tinkering by fools is not exclusive to ISP's Holly.

Yes the fella who bought it seemed to think that had something to do with me . not so . i bought it to pup it . but it turned out that the MK 1 i had was just as good and i could get more on the MK11 . so it was sold as i got it . turned out when questioned . that he thought it was over powered . i said normally you run em at 800 fps and turn em down on the transfer port . so if cold weather arrives . you can adjust it on the transfer port , without having to touch the hammer . he said there was not a grub screw in it . so for the want of a grub screw he sent it to a gent who he say's charged him good money to do very little . ??? HOLLY

Yep, the grub screw was 1p but the cost came from putting a thread back in the venturi where it had been stripped out and sorting out the damaged hammer. Grub screws usually need a corresponding female thread to be effective. No trace of super glue having been used so you're off the hook :)

Anyway, we digress

Edited by Monty

Yep, the grub screw was 1p but the cost came from putting a thread back in the venturi where it had been stripped out and sorting out the damaged hammer. Grub screws usually need a corresponding female thread to be effective. No trace of super glue having been used so you're off the hook :)

Anyway, we digress

See you got sucked in Monty, off topic :lol2:

Seriously though, I think your comments are valid and you are getting people thinking about where to go with this forum so that's good.

For me I have offered to help support financially and help with moderation, I have never been involved in running a forum so that's as much as I can offer, with the amount of offers to support financially can't see it costing a great deal per year.

Take your point about it being mostly a small number of people chatting about cake mostly, hence I don't post very often, not keen on cake, don't have a large selection of hammers, will confess to owning superglue (will have Holly and Neil after me now) but mostly I like the laid back feel of the forum and believe it has it's place in our world.

I would not want to see it disappear it offers something other forums do not, I don't frequent BBS, have looked, the feel of it is not for me, I do use STB for serious information and tech and calendar events it's an excellent forum.

So really I visit here to see how bored Holly is on any given day, what's his latest invention, what he fixed today who he's going to beat next week and read the banter around mostly Sefta comps.

If it's serious tech info or something else then I look elsewhere.

Sorry Graham, yes I was entering into the spirit of the site. :poster_oops:

Sorry Graham, yes I was entering into the spirit of the site. :poster_oops:

Entering into the spirit of the site is a requirement for this forum, so while we may ramble on about cake, the likely origin of Holly's BatPants ™ or any other completely off the wall discussion, it is this diversity that makes this forum unique and refreshing through the drudgery of a typical day.

I agree that if the forum survives all this random stuff needs corralling into a defined section of the forum, something like a 'pub section' for want of a better description. Then as others have mentioned we need to kick-start a decent reference and technical section, reviews and all the stuff that will bring the people that want to come.

It will take time, but is worth doing as inbetween the cake there is a few hundred years of shooting experience on here and it would be a shame for all that wealth to disappear into the ether.

Mick over on the BBS ( T20 ) has said whoever takes the forum on . he will be glad to help him get going if needed ??? HOLLY

Thanks for setting me straight on FT talk Holly...did you post that this forum was for sale over on the BBS...if so I can't see it.???

Mick over on the BBS ( T20 ) has said whoever takes the forum on . he will be glad to help him get going if needed ??? HOLLY

Thanks for setting me straight on FT talk Holly...did you post that this forum was for sale over on the BBS...if so I can't see it.???

I think that Dave made it quite clear that this forum wasn't for sale per se?

Stop worrying about stuff and just crack on, who cares if it's only 12 people talking -excrement-e and cake, we're happy enough aren't we.

I think that Dave made it quite clear that this forum wasn't for sale per se?

Yes I know but I've seen it (for sale) on the STB & thought I had on the BBS....where a Mod had a "pop" at someone...but it appears to have vanished...???

I never said that it was for sale . i said does somebody want to take it over . if so get in contact with dave . don't ask , don't get ??? HOLLY

PS Neither is it for sale on STB . i titled it " To Own a forum " meaning . you can have you own forum . as i stated on there .

Edited by holly

Anyway, we digress

The hammer i know nothing about . the entrance to the transfer port was nicked by who ever drillled out the anti tampa . but the thread behind that was OK . cos i adjusted the power when i got it with the grub screw that was in it . so now you know . ??? HOLLY

this thread is about Saving the Forum . Negativity that is coming from some is not helping it at all . if you do not have something positive to say . why bother to say it . ??? HOLLY

PS It almost sounds like some , would like it to fail . think about it .

I thought we were on a free speech tip, this forum wasn't going to be like others where you can't have a negative comment... seems that was short lived.

Anyway I don't think people are saying they want it to fail, what they are saying is that it's had the opportunity to be different in the past and it hasn't been, and what remains isn't perhaps going to light the place up, and perhaps the people that will be putting in the money and effort might want to consider that. I think that's genuine concern from fellow shooters.

But if they have weighed it up, as Martin says, just get on with it. Domain transfers take 24 hours and hosting takes about 30 secs to set up.

Then it can continue to be as it is and there's no problem. Unless it's just as it has been for a while, a lot of talk.

Edited by robF