DaveL

Airgunforum, what future?

After reading how this important thread very quickly went off topic and was no longer being taken seriously pretty much sums up how people feel about this once great forum and has pretty much sealed its fate.

J-B with the greatest of respect I think we've already made it clear that in this little section of AGF which is still functioning (albeit at a primeval level) we are marking time until the future of this forum is decided.

Now if you and Dave decide that you are going to close the forum regardless then that is your decision and yours alone and to be honest it seems to me as if you are both just looking for an excuse to kill it off instead of passing it over to those that are willing and able to inject a new lease of life into the forum.

I PMed you the other night JB whilst I was working in London but I rescind my offer and wish you the best for whatever you guys do in the future.

Yep it's more than obvious that neither of you are genuinely serious about passing this forum over and that ultimately no one will pass your stringent criteria for new owners.

So I will also thank you for your time in keeping the forum going over the past few years and wish the pair of you the best in the future, but ultimately I am out of here.

After reading how this important thread very quickly went off topic and was no longer being taken seriously pretty much sums up how people feel about this once great forum and has pretty much sealed its fate.

That's a bit harsh, my understanding was that we were all standing around with our hands in our pockets stamping our feet to keep warm while waiting for you.

Plus, this thread didn't go quickly off topic at all.

Plus, NatS first advance was on page 3 and her second on page 5.

If you want to shut the forum shut the forum, but don't blame us for showing no interest or not enough respect or some other excuse.

I'm with Colin; "So long and thanks for all the fish."

How did we get from cake to fish?

Talking Pollocks now

I think it's a bit rich to apportion blame and call into question motives. This thread, arguably the most important ever posted here, was there to enable continuation of your little world but the constant stupidity shown by a few is lamentable and if you're looking to apportion blame some of you should contemplate your last few posts and page 8 in particular.

Monty

That's a bit harsh, my understanding was that we were all standing around with our hands in our pockets stamping our feet to keep warm while waiting for you.

Plus, this thread didn't go quickly off topic at all.

Plus, NatS first advance was on page 3 and her second on page 5.

If you want to shut the forum shut the forum, but don't blame us for showing no interest or not enough respect or some other excuse.

I'm with Colin; "So long and thanks for all the fish."

Ditto

Amen John....maybe guy's should join a pastry/baking forum...I for one thank both yourself..DaveL...Ray Ross & Alf who started it...THANK YOU.

Yes Simone and it is all your fault . good luck all ??? HOLLY

Yep , well we gotta blame someone Simone . and there is always a woman at the bottom of it ??? HOLLY :cheers::poster_oops:

my fault?

Take no notice...the forum has been on "self destruct" since Ray passed on...it's sad I know but other forum's are available...the FT guys can easily join them or keep in touch via Email...I hoped that someone would take things forward but it seems that John/Dave have both had enough & hosting/running a forum for a few guy's when they both have more pressing personal agenda's outside of talk of cake...

Its been emotional. Will the last one please switch off the light 😞

Like everything . it has a life span i suppose . been good enjoyed it . see what else is about . i will log off now and see you at the shoots maybe . ta ta ??? HOLY

But didn't Nat offer to take it over? and I think a couple of people offered to help her out if she needed it with hosting / technical support.

Speaking as one of the earliest members on here thanks for all the hard work Dave since 2001, all the admin and moderators past and present.

Think forums in general are on the decline, gone are the days this forum was busy with proper worth while content even the once popular BBS went down the pan many years ago.

Will always get the warriors, they filtered in from bbs to here, now on stb.

Monty read between the lines, theyre posting to atract sales and yes illegal activity shouldnt be promoted.

I think a solid foundation from which to develop a forum is lacking. I saw no reason to come onto this forum for several months. When I read on another forum that Dave was thinking of giving up, I came on to see what the situation was. I immediately offered about the only thing I felt capable of ,which was financial assistance ---- BUT reading some of the utter childishness from a certain source I PMd Dave to state that I had serious doubts about helping at all. Seems ( reading the latest instalments) that I won't need to rescind my offer. Thanks Dave, I wish you all the very best.

There has been no deliberate dragging of feet. John B was in the midst of building works and we needed to wait for him to communicate with NatS. Clearly, John read the thread's drift differently as, frankly, I was quite amused at the way it had meandered to and fro in a manner that is so typical of the small band of users.

I don't know what has passed between NatS and John-B. I'm in the dark over that. Nat, would you kindly let me know what has passed between you and John? I was willing to hand over to you, but without John's co-operation, I don't think it can be made to work.

As it stands at present, I agree that there's little to enthuse anyone to keep the forum going but I have indicated some of the things needed to make it viable once more. Those were merely suggestions to give any prospective owner a hint of what's needed, together with the new owner's own ideas.

Eaton Rifles, your analysis of my intentions offends me. You don't know me, or my circumstances and you're clearly no friend of mine so I hope you go sow your nasty opinions elsewhere.

To those who have offered financial support, I thank you but I don't need it. What I need is freedom from the shackles of a forum that I don't have the time or energy to inject some new life into.

Requests have been received to copy certain information from the forum and I ask that patience be shown. Whatever the outcome, nothing will be wasted.

DaveL

@DaveL the only thing I've seen from J-B was the post above, made a couple of days after I sent him a PM. Now for me that doesn't read like someone who is interested in trying to rejuvenate the forum and more like someone who has decided not to bother.

While I'm here I'd like to address a few things, I'm not a confrontational type but over the years, when I've had to, I say what I think. I have been quite frustrated by some of the posts of an accusatory manner from a couple of members. Firstly none of you seemed to understand that discussions were taking place and people WERE doing something. Secondly why were people assuming there would be no changes? A proposal of ideas was to be discussed with Dave and JB not anyone else. The constant recriminations actually just got on my -breasts-.

If you've been members for years and didn't like how the forum was going, you also had a responsibility to contact an admin and tell them your thoughts, not wait until Dave has had enough of it and then cast blame on those people who did stick around.

I feel for you Dave honestly, I have been in a similar situation but I think some people on here need to look at themselves before blaming the 12.

Edited by NatS

NatS

I have not deliberately ignored your PM, I can assure you of that. As Dave has mentioned twice now, I've been up to my neck in building rubble in my front room. Things have finally calmed down now and if you still want, I will reply tonight to your PM.

It's like when Bake Off went to C4...

It's like when Bake Off went to C4...

Youre meandering down the cake route again Rob

Are we done then?

Things are still happening in the background.

Are we done then?

If the people/members that contributed to this section won't help take it forwards it seems so...the fact that DaveL started this thread in this section shows he was looking for help from you guys as this was the most active section...both Dave & John who have generously being hosting the forum have had enough for various reasons & are/were prepared to help "someone" to take things forwards.

They also advised they would help during any transition period...IF...the right person came forwards.It seems no one with the right credentials has come forwards to take responsibility...i'd imagine running a forum (even a quiet one) can be a ball ache...there's all sorts of scammers/spammers/warriors/nutter's/trolls & more...most forums have at least 4+ mods/admin to run them...Dave has been doing this basically by himself since Ray passed on...& from chatting to him he has enough on his plate...maybe it's time to shut up shop...it would be a great loss though for reasons explained previously & it's airgun online resource's.

Are we done then?

Things are still happening in the background.

Thanks John...I was typing as you posted..!!

If the people/members that contributed to this section won't help take it forwards it seems so...the fact that DaveL started this thread in this section shows he was looking for help from you guys as this was the most active section...both Dave & John who have generously being hosting the forum have had enough for various reasons & are/were prepared to help "someone" to take things forwards.

They also advised they would help during any transition period...IF...the right person came forwards.It seems no one with the right credentials has come forwards to take responsibility...i'd imagine running a forum (even a quiet one) can be a ball ache...there's all sorts of scammers/spammers/warriors/nutter's/trolls & more...most forums have at least 4+ mods/admin to run them...Dave has been doing this basically by himself since Ray passed on...& from chatting to him he has enough on his plate...maybe it's time to shut up shop...it would be a great loss though for reasons explained previously & it's airgun online resource's.

Sir, I don't know you, nor your circumstances but..................

By your own admission, you know nothing about running a forum, yet you expect somebody else to come forward and run one?

Why berate others to take it on when you so obviously don't want to OR is it a case of somebody else take it on so that you can 'snipe' at them from the sidelines for doing something that you wouldn't?

I run a forum, and to keep it running smoothly, I have another 9 co-admins (each normally fulfilling a role regarding different aspects of the forum) and 8 moderators, we're spread over the globe, so that there's a member of the admin team on at most times of the day, and if one of us is away, or not able to log in for some reason, there is always cover, yet we're always trying to keep on top of things, yes, it can be a ball-ache, especially when a deals's gone sour, or members feel 'hard done by', trolls/spammers/hackers etc. are all part and parcel of running forums - spotting them is a 'dark art' most of the time, but it is a rewarding hobby, however, it leaves precious little time to devote to trying to run a second forum (luckily, the other forum I'm a co-admin on, is a very quiet one) so while you are calling the members who have, in effect, kept this forum 'active' by continually posting in this section, (even when the rest of the sections have withered) ne'rdo-wells, because they aren't falling over each other to take on the running of this forum take a good, hard, look at your own motives for posting these comments, THEN stand up and offer YOUR services to the forum.

Goodbye & good luck.