On another forum . there is a discussion about whether or not a Zos scope is a good enough scope for FT . i have had a zos and it worked no doubt about that . but not a keeper i did not think . my idea of a cheap entry level FT scope would be a BSA Platinum or a MK 1 Nikko . i would include the tasco custom shop but i think a lot of those by now are getting rather fragile . ??? HOLLY

So is the bsa now

First ones gotta be getting on for 15yrs old now

As you know Ive got a ZOS on my LGU. Is it up to the job? Not really. Its ok up to 45 yards but passed that and its a bit wishy washy. Dont get me wrong its not a bad scope for the money,I paid £80 for mine with mounts but the side wheel although the same as a T50 Falcon the locking screw is rubbish and cant grip the turret tight enough without it burring over. The turrets are the same as a T50 and have a nice positive click and always returns to zero no problems. Ive had it on my LGU for a couple of years now and Ive never had to re zero it,so recoil isnt a problem. The optics are pretty clear but has a mad reticle with loads of lines in it and no cross in the middle just sort of cup that you put the kill zone inside. If you can get one cheap and need a scope to start out with then its ok.

Edited by springboy

So is the bsa now

First ones gotta be getting on for 15yrs old now

Ive seen BSAs still going for £300+ with sidewheel,pointer etc. Get a goodn and theyre hard to beat

The zos I saw was just what it was a cheap scope, it was ok up to 40-45 yards but hard work after, also difficult in changeable light.

The BSA I had was superb apart from the Ret.

Nikko, Burris 8-32 or Bushnell 8-32 best bet for an entry level scope.

Matt

All the scopes mentioned as an alternative to the Zos are what, three times the price and thats second hand? Hardly a fair comparison. The Zos isnt great, of course not but tell me of another scope that has 40x mag, sidewheel, sunshade and mounts for £100 brand new. If you are on a proper tight budget and want to dip your toe into FT to see if you like it they are ideal.

Steve,

To be fair if dipping my toe into ft, I'd be looking at what the hft guys use and how they use it, last time I shot with an hft shooter lanky mark from emley moor he could range to within a couple of yards up to around 50 yards with his £100 hft scope.

The zos is not a scope I'd recommend.

Matt

All of that is true Steve . but if you are in for the long run . it is cheaper to buy something you will stand a chance of keeping . plus if you like the sport , you can move it from rifle to rifle as you either progress or just want another rifle . ??? HOLLY

PS plus when i tried to sell my Zos , i practically had to give it away . wheras the MK1 nikko i paid £ 300 , i sold for £300 .

Steve,

To be fair if dipping my toe into ft, I'd be looking at what the hft guys use and how they use it, last time I shot with an hft shooter lanky mark from emley moor he could range to within a couple of yards up to around 50 yards with his £100 hft scope.

The zos is not a scope I'd recommend.

Matt

True Matt , but how good would they be at bracketing sitting not laying ? HOLLY

Holly,

He was sitting in ft position.

Matt

Must admit to being with SteveC200 on this - if somebody is dipping into a sport like FT on a limited budget, they aren't going to spend as much or more on a scope than they do on their gun, they can pick up a second hand S400 for £300(ish) and, (as Holly found out) a ZOS 10-40x50 mil-dot scope with sidewheel & sunshade for less than £100, so as an outlay to see if they like the sport of FT, they've laid out £400 (about the cost of a service on their car) and the Mrs, (while not too happy) can be talked round, try that with an initial outfit that is going to cost him getting on to the £1,000 mark, 'er indoors isn't going to be any too pleased that he's just laid out that sort of money to try a sport that involves a 'gun' (regardless that her wardrobe may contain three or four times that amount in clothes, plus her shoes and hand bags). He can then upgrade as he goes if he likes the sport, if not, he can, in all probability, get his money back, especially if he bought second-hand kit to start with & 'er indoors will be well pleased that he didn't sell up at a loss.

T'other thing, I've been reading about how, with the big Nikkos, some aren't as good as others, some are having problems etc. etc. yet some of you are saying as how you'd recommend them, but (on other threads on here) admit that they aren't really as good as they should be, unless you're lucky and get one of the 'good' ones - so you'd recommend a (possibly) iffy scope to a newbie to the sport & get them to pay top dollar for it.

Quite true Matt, remember what i keep saying, been doing it well before hft and i dont even bracket.

Visually anyone should be able to guestimate within 2 yards to 40 yards and aim points only top of kill, 42 1/2 yds thats around 3/8" over the top.

Currrent regions summer and winter league courses if went round on 10 mag visually guessing ranges and holding over i would be around 5 down on present. Its only after 45 yards you can be a bit out, learn the trajectory.

What they should be told is buy a basic scope second hand and learn the ropes. Mean while try as many scopes as they can whilst progressing, nothing lost.

All you get nowadays is must have this and that whether they have the dosh or not.

All scopes vary with same model from same producer, they call it tolerances.

Suffolk that applies to the 18 year old BSA and Niko as well as current issue. The previous distributor i did work for and spoke to the head honchus, 3 in 4 were returned and that was only for malfunction! Quite agree on not recommending a shoddy product, lets face it 1 in 100 can be good and if for sale you have to think why! Had two got rid of first one in 1 1/2hrs after spending 1 1/2 hrs trying to get a zero, second i perseveered for 5 weeks and cut my losses anthing over 45 yards could have been 60 who knows and that was chosen from 9 laid out in a line.

I shoot HFT and after 2 years have really got to know my scope for ranging.

However, bracketing in most HFT comps I shoot is now next to useless as the targets are not standard Knockdowns as they used to be.

Almost all the kills I see are none standard sized holes, many of the plates are reduced or increased sizes (usually keeping the same profile to trick you), the hinges are often obscured so that kill centre to hinge tops and the hinge width are not bracket-able.

I believe most HFT guys now rely on reading blurr and parallax error for ranging - I do....although not sure about getting it to the nearest 2 yards :lol2:

Must admit that the scope I like using is only a 8-32x50, but it is clear and will 'repeat' each time, can't remember when I bought it, (and the price I paid wont be put up on public forum so the wife doesn't get a chance to see it :awink:  suffice to say that while it wasn't over £200, it was more than I should have paid at the time (according to her)) only thing I'm missing with it, is a sunshade, but having looked at SteveC200s home-made one, think something along those lines will be trotted out. Would get another, but haven't seen one for sale since shortly after buying mine.

On 15/01/2018 at 8:59 PM, Matt said:

Holly,

He was sitting in ft position.

Matt

Well he is a better man than me  Matt . cos unless i am rock steady i cannot bracket ??? HOLLY

What Jon Say's about visually ranging is true IF you practice it , back when i had a 6.5 to 20 . yes i did practice as i walked the dog . guess it pace it . but having paid slightly more than suffolk ( yeah right ) i now depend on that scope to do that for me . FT nowadays does not leave room for error ??? HOLLY 

When youve put enough long courses out over the last 27 years you get to know.

Light will play havoc with mark 1 eye ball in some places, also with scopes.
Still stand vigorously by what i say anyone should be able to visually guestimate within +/-2 yards to 40 yards. Whats that mean, if that 40 yarder was 42 1/2 yards you would land 9mm low not even 1/4 a kill!

Room for error, seen the red print on MFTA site recommended distances per lane of two targets 90 yards. Stick a presentable range out 50 yards leaves max range a gimmee at 40 yards x 32 targets. See what i mean about making it easier and easier side tracking away from what FT' was intended to be about.
Next step H&S no outdoor activities, too dangerous.

Edited by Jon

Agree with Jon over the range by eye - we should all be able to do it, at Springfield at the weekend, look at target, set side wheel, range, and very rarely had to move side wheel much, even on the 50+ yard targets

Rule number on in FT . TRUST YOUR SCOPE . the MK one eye ball , can get tired . hung over , blurred and just plain confused . you paid a lot of money for that scope . learn it and use it . ??? HOLLY 

PS Rule number two is . Never Listen To Anybody Else's Ranges .

14 hours ago, holly said:

Rule number on in FT . TRUST YOUR SCOPE . the MK one eye ball , can get tired . hung over , blurred and just plain confused . you paid a lot of money for that scope . learn it and use it . ??? HOLLY 

PS Rule number two is . Never Listen To Anybody Else's Ranges .

He dont often talk sense

Rule number three is , never listen to croucher . except this one time ??? HOLLY 

Never a truer word spoken, the man spoke sense for a change.
Especially if you seen the ranges my March used to give ie that measured 54 1/2 yarder coming in at 47 and dialling 47 bang in the middle.

So what is your take on stainless barrels then Jon ??? HOLLY

The question was Jon . what if any is the advantage of stainless steel barrels ??? HOLLY

They are not all good ones keith . but if you are lucky and you find one . do not let it go . ??? HOLLY 

5 hours ago, holly said:

The question was Jon . what if any is the advantage of stainless steel barrels ??? HOLLY

Thought we were on about scopes this thread.

Who makes or fitted stainless barrels,not aware of any in airgunning.

Come on Jon when have you ever seen a thread on this forum that has any resemblance to the title after about 6 posts?

Variety is the spice of life Darron . keeps you on your toes ? so what are the barrels fitted to anschutz and steyr  then jon . if they are just plated or chromed . what is the advantage of that . ??? HOLLY