Sign in to follow this  
holly

Stainless Barrels

Once apon a time i was in love with Stainless barrels . i am now starting to think maybe not . out of the 6 steyrs i have had over the years . only two have been what i would call good . they were quite old ones , not barley twist by the way . it seems to me that the stainless barrels need to be run in for quite a long time before they shoot at there best . i have been told around 4 tins of pellets . which is one of the reasons i have bought a CZ barrel for mine when it gets back from mr cane ??? HOLLY

4 tins isn’t a great deal to get it on song. What are the benefits of having a stainless barrel over a normal one,apart from not rusting 

When you shoot the barrel over the firing line it won’t rust laid on the floor 😂

Now that is what i like about you Dave ? Nothing . . Stan i cannot see any advantage to stainless barrels except  that they look good . ??? HOLLY

5 hours ago, springboy said:

4 tins isn’t a great deal to get it on song. What are the benefits of having a stainless barrel over a normal one,apart from not rusting 

Don't be so sure that a stainless barrel won't rust! I've had a stainless match barrel go rusty in the past.

Had a stainless barley twist on my Steyr and it took more wind than my car seat.

I have had two barley twist barrels and they were actually not as good as the LG110 barrels . i think you either have to be lucky with em or know how to make em work . which is why i have bought a CZ barrel . none of the CZ barrels i have used have given me any problems . i won't say they were more accurate than anything else . but they seem to take a more steady curve with the wind . so you can learn em more easily . but of course i could be wrong ??? HOLLY

Hard to keep up with Steyrs, know of 4 different original fitted to just the LG100 alone.
LG110 same rifle at least 4.

Not much difference in twist rates fom all manufacturers about 1 in 3 so cant blame that, most 1 in 17 ish to 1 in 19 ish best i could determine with the quick method used.

I remember one of the first into the country , converted by dave welham for matt knock . he only had it a couple of months . did not get on with it . i think john walker has it now ??? HOLLY