Sign in to follow this  
Matt

Back to basics

I cant think of a single person in UK or abroad that makes a purpose built stock. Even the most raved about just bang em out for the easiest with no sense of understanding.

Big difference to off the peg or off a pattern to a made to measure and fit only seen in shotguns.

All i gave gary was my hand size . finger drawing and my reach to pull . mine fits me like a glove . you either have an understanding of stocks or you don't . john welham had it too ??? HOLLY

Posted (edited)

I went through that process with Gary Cane about 5 years ago, I visited and we talked, he measured some bits, he then produced a stock that was a thing of beauty, I went for a final fitting before it was finished during which he did a bit of fettling, he then finished it and delivered it to me.

It initially did feel "nice" but as I got to learn the rifle I wanted small changes....not easy with a beutifully finished lump of laminate....I eventually fell out with it and since have always had mechanical stocks.

The chances of a wood stock being absolutely right first time I think are slim, surely better for a stock to be made close to what you want but with some element of adjustment for those tweeks you learn you need as you shoot it.

Now a stock with an anatomical movable thumb up grip, a cheek and butt pad adjustable in all planes and an adjustable cast that would be a thing to behold......guess what I have just got :qq:

Surely having a stock you can adjust to you and your changing anatomy/style is better than you trying to adjust to a stock.

Edited by lol moore

I have had eight pups at least . i cannot talk about full size rifles .they don't fit me and i can not see the sense in hanging a lump of metal off two feet in front of your knee . cos i can't get my elbow on my right knee anymore cos of my hip . stability is quite hard to come by . i can sit there with this stock/rifle and hold on a pellet mark at 50 yards if it is not too windy . that is good stock fit . your welcome to try mine if you see me . but your wallet will get very nervous afterwards . in fact you probably won't need one . /// HOLLY