Sign in to follow this  
Matt

Back to basics

Had a big lesson today from Paul Yates, made me realise a lot about my own shooting (even though I was meant to be helping him) and getting back into competitive ft.

A few years ago I asked on here about getting a coach and I think I may need one to help this time.

I think realisation hit that I've been trying too hard to copy what others are doing without really thinking about what suits me.  Maybe been working too hard, who knows?

So advertised some kit and going to look to start from square one again.

So any advice welcome.

Matt

It will do you good to use 90's kit, back to basics i did say and ignore what others are doing around you.

Most stocks today are just made with no thought to actual use just easy to make that way, customer non the wiser trusting what they visually see rather than what the stocks meant to do. Certain things you get by with and adapt but not all.

Adjustable stocks are the biggy, i see a fair few sold just handed over as they came assembled from factory. Most customers wil be in no mans land setting up, get one thing wrong adjust another and constantly fight often doubling whats wrong with the fit.

Really want to say take up golf, but will behave. :) precise stock it adjusts tons. Will fit much better. But seeing as how I am behaving, do What you did today, when i taught new line leaders at work i then got them to teach me, you learn so much this way, you said it your self helping me made you think, about what you were doing.oh and have too many kahles you need to give one to me cos mine is lonely

Latest Precise is for a left hooker! Its meant to be universal left or right with a mere pistol grip change. Problem is the centre line for but fixing is left hooker biased and cant get any offset without interfering with backend of the brown.

Earlier Precise much better either a proper left or right hand stock, same as the 8002 and early 9003 and current alum 9015. Downside is the naff horrible plastic grips and aftermarket made wrong.

Right Matt , i am your man . 1/ you have a bad back . that means you need a lower weight outfit . plus get the weight back as far as poss . 2/  get a lighter scope to go with it . then this is the crux of the matter . bull pup it . this will do two things , lower the weight . bring the weight back . the side effects of this is to lower the effect of the wind on the end of the barrel and stock . by putting the carrying strap on the side of the stock and putting your arm through it . you can brace your self in four ways . one the left leading hand on the front of the stock . two your left arm through the carrying strap . three your cheek against the cheek piece and last the butt hook passing over your shoulder and angled towards you neck . don't get sucked into this gotta have a long un . short is errganomic , efficient and the way to go ??? HOLLY

Well laminate stock sold, got the four hooks up for sale.

Bullpup I like the style of them but being built like an orangutan they never feel comfortable, plus I'd hate to shoot say Germany again muzzle over line feet behind the firing line.

I take onboard the idea of a shorter rifle though and it's something Jon has always said about how I shoot since I started working with him - my rifles are long but fairly compact if that makes sense.  I do prefer weight slightly forward though.

I am going to go back to the carbon and ALU stock of the 9015 just need to get some grips made that fit and are comfortable.  Currently modifying some existing grips that Warren made for me - won't be pretty to look at but if they fit all is good.  Will go for a walnut stock once I work out what I really want.

Oh by the way welcome Paul Yates to the forum!

Thanks for the replies guys, need a lot of help at the moment.

Matt

I don’t think looks should come into it for a Target stock,like you say fit is better than looks. Look at some of the 10m shooters grips. They shape them with car body filler wrapped in cling film. 

As long as we do not get into all that piffel about " shooting springers makes you a better shot " the only thing shooting a springer does is to make you a better spring gun shot . chalk and cheese ??? HOLLY

Used to have a saying theyve both got barrels on them.

3 hours ago, holly said:

As long as we do not get into all that piffel about " shooting springers makes you a better shot " the only thing shooting a springer does is to make you a better spring gun shot . chalk and cheese ??? HOLLY

Back in 94 i did swear blind i would keep on using springers in some shape or form, i never have and why i am a -rubbish- shot.

4 hours ago, holly said:

It’s true though. It works for me. 

I'd say (as a qualified coach) leave any preconceptions about what you think need aside and talk to a coach first who may be able to help guide you with sound principles to come to ideal conclusions about what you need for where you want to go from where you currently are.

Springers and PCPs are totally different animals . a springer makes demands on you that a PCP does not . you can with a puff gun take the most terrible liberty's . you would never in a hundred years get away with that on a spring gun . practice with what you are a gonna shoot . my old SR stays in the corner and looks good . that is all i ask of it ??? HOLLY

Best place for them left in the corner, horrible things and no difference in accuracy to pneumatics.
If i wanted something that recoiled i would have a proper gun.

It's a difficult one looking at what I want from the sport, I suppose top ten at end of GP season is always the goal I've had...this year I think it's too late to get set and do this. So maybe the aim is to do it next year?

I've made a conscious decision to spend at least one day a week at the club getting myself sorted with kit and what not, then the other day doing other things.

I've always been the same with kit and get bored so have to have a clear out and start from the beginning again - hence the stock and hooks have to go.

Suppose now it's just a case of seeing how things go.

Matt

Then Matt . you need a banker rifle , a go to rifle . do the same as myself . have a variety of other rifles . you buy , shoot , sell . no probs . but for the comps . just one gun and scope . ??? HOLLY

PS having said that . i don't any longer do any serious stuff .

Pretty confident its the stocks used the last few years Matt and the butt pad too many links wrapped round try 3 or 4 out and flog them.

Could go the extreme route and shoot a basic standard stocked springer for two months weekly.

Butthook removed from all rifles, might order the se one from Anschutz which is shorter.

Starting to take one PCP and one springer with me each session as well.

I am also thinking an old style stock akin to a Paul Wilson one with just an adjustable plate like I used to shoot may be better?

Matt

Well Matt . you could always Buy a steyr and put it into one of Mr Canes stocks . all you would have to do is  then sell your house to pay for it ??? HOLLY

Dont think that would help Holls, rather the opposite its a hindrance and the like he needs to get away from.

The single thing i know that has stopped Matt from shooting a series of shoots like the GPs Jon . is his back . that can be helped by bringing the weight of the outfit backwards towards the shoulder . this will help him on standers and kneelers , plus the sillys if he does em . simple ergonomics Jon ??? HOLLY

Well failing miserably at getting practice in at moment, in-between getting ready for shooting show, wife and kids being ill and now my pc decided to die on me yesterday...things not necessarily going to plan.

Hopefully after the show can get more dedicated time in.

Matt

Well you can work on the fitness Matt if nothing else ??? HOLLY