Sign in to follow this  
lol moore

Stainless Steel Barrels

Jon as you said on the Scope thread - why we talking about barrels, so thought I would start a new thread.

Often wondered if the Steyr Barley twists are Stainless, they certainly appear to be high chromium and do look like they have had some form of heat treatment?

They definitely don't rust in the same way as some other barrels do that I have owned, they are magnetic, so could be Ferritic Stainless, but Ferritics cannot be heat hardened or maybe its Martensitic which can be hardened, who knows?

On the rust front the unknown barrel I mentioned earlier suffers from rust, cleaning always give rusty deposits (tested and it is Iron containing), it likes a couple of VFG after every shoot but I have found just VFG shoot throughs can lead to some rusting in a barrel, probably due to the condensation left after the last shot so I tend to do a final clean pull through also.

I have noticed with my odd barrel if I clean it thoroughly then whilst leading in (say 20 shots in) if I put a VFG through it comes out black, takes 2-3 felts to get a clean one, but if after a clean I shoot until its properly leaded (say 50 shots) then put  a VFG comes out clean, its like initially there is something else laid down before the lead takes hold?

Anyway, LW do Stainless barrels but not seen one in the flesh:

LW Barrels

Well i for one always thought steyr barrels were stainless . although i was told that some were chrome lined . the worst rifle for fouling the are i think  barrels korean . having said that , when cleaned they were accurate but did not stay that way for long . mind you a S400 i bought almost new , goes off very quickly past around 60 or so shots straight out the tin . if those same pellets were washed . then around the 100 mark mark . it seems to me that the lighter barrels are accurate but take more windage . ??? HOLLY

Edited by holly

I think the coated ones that caused all the issues were Nickle plated, it seems the plating would gradually and randomly sluff off I little pieces :eek:

When you say "lighter barrels" do you mean smaller diameter?

Yes namely my Air Arms S400 . on a calm day . very accurate indeed . but if the wind comes up . your in trouble . but as said it is still running in ??? HOLLY

The early Steyr Manlicher made in the Daimler Puch factory may well have been some form of stainless. Havent got one here but could still be a stainless if its magnetic or not, who knows.
By the time of renaming the LG100 in 2005 4 barrels were used.
Definately nickel plated ones flaked out the rifling, not so long back.

Good link Lol havent seen that list for 21 years, theyre just basic spec barrels, used to have to order a crate of 50. The better ones the customer tells Lothar what to produce ie bore, choked or not with size, mirror finish etc.
Some one make a 4mm pellet, remember the late Mick Dawes having a play with them but limited to moulds or off the shelf heads, neither any good.

Whats the question again Holls.
Only way to test that Holls is use same barrel then turn it down! Two barrels same spec made in same production batch could give different results.

Jon, the list is the current one and has Stainless barrels at the bottom.

Whats interesting are the dimensions inside, 4.62mm in the grooves, 4.46mm on the lands...in theory would leave space around a pellet skirt but support the head.

I did try sizing pellets skirts upwards with a ball bearing, instead of downwards with a traditional sizer a few years ago, but didnt really give the trial enough time , although did see a small energy increase.

One for the summer maybe😎

Does not the air push the skirts out into the lands when the rifle fires ?  i did try to put some pellets with slightly bent skirts through the rifle . . the FPS was a bit down . but it was only at the longer ranges that the accuracy was worse . so i took it that the skirts  were blown out . ??? HOLLY

Yes the air pushes the skirt into the grooves but the question is does it introduce a variable, slightly deformed/oval skirt lets some air pass as the skirt is ballooned out, whereas a perfect skirt lets some air pass but if all skirts are the same the same amount of air passes each shot.

I tried sizing the heads and by definition the skirts in the normal way, then I flared the skirts a little so as the pellet was inserted in the breech the head sat on the lands but the skirt was now already filling the grooves, in theory there should be some mileage in it but I didn't give the test enough time - maybe this summer😉

So basically Suck It And See ??? HOLLY

Machined a new LW barrel for one of my Steyrs today finishing the breech got me curious about pellet skirt upsizing again.

Spent an hour with a quickly botched tube/ballbearing belt tension checker to give consitant pressure expanding some skirts nothing massively deep or scientific but the interesting thing was trying the pellets in three different rifles gave different velocity results.

All three rifles are set to 780 ish, all three have different lead in shape, two tight ish, one loose, with all three when an unexpanded pellet is loaded flush and a torch put at the breech light could clearly be seen through the grooves, with the expanded pellets no light could be seen in any, no surprises there.

The two tight barrels velocity dropped by 30, with the loose barrel the velocity rose by 20 ?

I have a pellet seater that was made for AA pellets . it does not make the slightest difference on those pellets . same velocity , same accuracy . only thing that seems to help is to weigh the pellets and use the heavier one . EG 8.5s ??? HOLLY