holly

The 400 Classic

I bought a 400 Classic a while back to bull pup . well it did not work put so up it goes for sale shortly . took it down to zero into day ready in case anybody wants it with a scope . or just to test the accuracy of the rifle . took me back a bit i can tell you . the scope is a tasco 6 to 24 by 40 TR ( Twin Ret ) . these scopes can either bracket via the twin ret lines or range through parralaxing with the 24 mag available . these scopes dragged me out of C grade into B and then to A . where i hung on by the skin of my teeth .trying it today brought back those days / they can still range as well .??? HOLLY

Just now, holly said:

I bought a 400 Classic a while back to bull pup . well it did not work out so up it goes for sale shortly . took it down to zero into day ready in case anybody wants it with a scope . or just to test the accuracy of the rifle . took me back a bit i can tell you . the scope is a tasco 6 to 24 by 40 TR ( Twin Ret ) . these scopes can either bracket via the twin ret lines or range through parralaxing with the 24 mag available . these scopes dragged me out of C grade into B and then to A . where i hung on by the skin of my teeth .trying it today brought back those days / they can still range as well .??? HOLLY

I had one and by today’s poorest offerings they were rubbish 

You may think so but then you did see what was available in the 80s and early nineties unless you had money . and by that i mean proper money . you could still use one of these for basic FT and the same with HFT . yes it would be entry level stuff . i paid £85 secondhand for it , really as memory type thing . at that money there is nothing out there that is better .  ??? HOLLY

Had the TR24 £180 on an HW80 .22, could just about dial in 55 yards with BSA Pylarm/Wasps before the ret broke.
Then bought the TR16 s/h £130 for a few weeks to tie me over.
TR24 dont cut it past 45 yards you could visually range just as accurate, no big deal its after that range where it counts. TS8-32 was utter excrement, due to a bank holiday it lasted 3 days else would have gone back the next day, swapped for a Zieller 8-32 samish scope much better and still in my arsenal.
Only decent scopes back then was PR Leups Mark 4, EFR and VariX 3 until late 93 when the Nightforce 40mag came out.

The trick back then Jon was to use the TR ret to bracket the 50 mil kill zones after 45 yards ??? HOLLY 

PS on my 4 to 16 TR . bracketting was all you had to use .

Nahhhh bracketing waste of time, easier and quicker to judge size by eye but used TR conventionally though a struggle over 50 on a good day.

Most scopes even 10mag you can range to 45 yards, there after theyve had it. More and more scopes since late 93 were more geared up for our use. By 94 there was literally Tasco TS, Zieller 32, PR Leups Vari x 3, Mark 4 and EFR all boosted, the Nightforce 40mag predecessor of the fixed mag FT36 in 95, Tasco 8-40 and a shabby front focus 40mag.

Only ever recall 45mm kill zones, seen some fairly recently.
Fairly sure the 25+5 demised in 94 as well.

You must be a new boy then Jon . only 45 mil kills . plus any of the lupes were out side what the average FT shooter back in the early nineties , late 80s could afford . took me a year to save the £750 it cost for a secondhand 32 mag MK 4 . my first what i call a proper FT scope . as far as i am concerned  . the 14=35 / 18=40 by 40 lupes were useless .the average FT shooter used what he could get and adapted it as best he could . ??? HOLLY 

pS if i could afford nothing else , i would happily use a Tasco TR . 

PS our courses then in SEFTA  were 30 targets . 25 50 mil ( usually ) targets and five mini kills .( 25 mil ) . the minis were usually placed out on the course in amongst the 50 mils . sometimes all at the end . the minis were used as deciders . so if two shooters got say 25 each of the 50 mils . then whoever got the most minis won . they were placed from 5 yards to 55 yards . challenging 

New in to it 91, same here 30 shots regional (40mm kill) 25 +  5 (25mm) till some time in 94.

50mm kills at gimmee ranges may be why you were good, its a plink nowadays with 4 x 40.

Top boys all used PR leups mostly Vari x 3, EFR and Mark 4  til 95 when they saw what the Tascos and Hakos  could do for them, more so in 95.

Used to be a piccy flying about from Regionals first held at Newbury 95 with JH No2 and a Tasco on top and my score counted 8th. Albeit 2nd for the team overall. Remember got sun burn in April, thats a first and kipping in car park over night Sat.

Bottom line is was fun then unlike todays trash.

Took quite a while for 40 mils to replace 50 mils at local level ( still some out there now ) and a lot of the old boys and the shooters who did not have the money for top end kit . did not like it . the disparity of kit then was the reason that there was such a big divide between the top and the bottom shots . i remember at Lea Valleys first GP in the early nineties  whilst marshalling . being shocked that shooters could not only get the range right but hit the long targets . that was my first taste of the FT shooting gods and top flight competition . and like darron i decided that that this was the life for me ( shooting , not top flight competition ) as far as i am concerned , the old saying still rings true " run what you brung " get in there and have a shoot . did you enjoy it is the thing . not suffer it . which brings me to modern GPs . they are just going on too long . in the end the excitement fades and boredom  sets in  . that plus heat and hunger . i still think 40 targets is enough with marshalling . . with proper organisation it can be done ??? HOLLY

Well i am glad to have enjoyed FT when it was worth travelling nationally with generally good courses, people and the rules.

Your in a minority wanting to go back to 40 shots, i wouldnt have done 8 out of 9 in 2008, perhaps two and you finished 2 places higher than me 16th.

Funs long gone out of it now, the way a few have been brain washing people, newbies think is correct and rules changed to accomodate that thinking.
Nothing worse than constantly have to wait for two of the three in front to shoot, yet theyre on the clocks.

Tight fisted if didnt replace the targets, i bought some worn sell offs from Stourvale early 93, still got em.

The early targets were quite often rubbish . welham made a decent one and Dereck Peckover i think it was made good ones . most have different views about how the shoots go down or should be run . the main thing is try to enjoy it . however they do it is still FT . so me i will do it until i cannot get my ass out the door ??? HOLLY 

PS i remember one of the make of early FT targets that only went back about an inch . the arguments that caused .

You sure that weren’t one that big Paul put out with half a brick behind it 

Or the one that somebody welded up ??? HOLLY

Think we had the last of the Nockovers we had to build them up.

Theres a lot of excrement out there now think we have bought off 4 suppliers since the Nockovers only ones any good.

Hated those the face plate rotated, always getting pellets lodge in the mech. Worst currently has to be the Remington.

It aint FT any more which is what i originally signed up for.

Im going to the dark side at least theyre not a load of pussys and cliquey.

That’s for retired FT shooters ain’t it Jon 😂😜

That is for deserters and people who cannot see past 45 yards ??? HOLLY

My S400 Classic minus anti tampa and with a tasco tr scope is up for sale on the for sale section . also my pup kit for same . if interested have a look . nothing wrong with it . just need to pay mr cane ??? HOLLY