Sign in to follow this  
holly

Warning over Aeron CZ Barrels ?

The gent who was gonna machine my Aeron CZ barrel , says that after inspecting two of them . he basically says they are rubbish inside . very poor quality . gonna try and get a refund . he is gonna look at my one and see if it is worth doing . sad that . you expect when you see CZ on the label to get a proper quality hammer forged barrel . looks in this case it is not so . we will see what happens . who knows might be lucky ..??? HOLLY

Edited by holly

Aeron CZ is a completely different company to the CZ of barrel fame  Aeron website and the CZ just denotes Czech Republic in the case of Aeron and is quite a common part of a company name in CZ, as is 'UK' here. If it was sold to you as a "CZ barrel" that might be a bit naughty because it isn't. 

Looks like Aeron buy in assorted air rifle stuff from the far east, probably China, put a sticker on it add a margin and sell it on.  Some of it good no doubt and some not so good.  I'd say their barrels fall into the latter category, I'm going to see one tomorrow but reports are the bore resembles a cheese grater.  You put a 4.52mm in the breech and it comes out the other end as a 3.1mm, does away with the trouble of pellet sizing and weighing though and it's not at all pellet fussy so every cloud does have a silver lining :).

I had a China/Koreer barrel on my last pup . it was very good . so it would seem as if it is a bad batch . either way for £130 . you should expect better . gonna get a report on mine and if duff i am gonna request a refund ??? HOLLY

I might be seeing yours as well tomorrow Holly, depending on how the inspection goes I can bring it back and either give it to Barry on Sunday or hold onto it until the next round of WL or if it's a goodun I'll probably be able to pick it up next week after Phil has done his stuff and give it to you at WL.

There's made in China and Made in China I guess but the ones that have already been looked at are well beyond a bad batch, clearly no QA whatsoever.  Yes £130 is way too much for a non CZ barrel (or LW or other decent brand) Knibbs sells various CZ and BSA barrels for less than that, the old faithful S200 CZ is under £100 

Edited by Monty
typo

Yes monty you get what you pay for but in this case not . i will try later to get a proper CZ barrel . all supposing this one is -rubbish- . being inspected later by pushing a pellet through  and internally after that . but if it is a bad one . i will def be in contact about a refund ??? HOLLY

PS these were sold as being an improved CZ barrel ? yeah right .

OK the machinist has been in contact to say that he thinks the barrel i have is from a different batch to the three he has .  after pushing a pellet through he say's it does not feel as rough . so enderscope tomorrow possibly to see if it is ok to machine/use  . fingers crossed ??? HOLLY

I told the chap to go for it Monty . suck it and see so to speak . i will put it on the wifes steyr i think . run two tins of tin pellets through it . and see how it goes . if not so good . will then try polishing it . and if still no good , well my peas in the garden need a good stick ??? HOLLY

I had a look at it this morning and pushed a few pellets down it, definitely the best of the bunch so fingers crossed.

As Jon always say's . you never know with slug guns , till you try ??? HOLLY

The one that's fully worked on is now OK at best but pellet fussy.  If I was you I'd look to return or swap it.  It's a £50 tops barrel that once it's had very extensive work performed shoots like an £80 barrel IMO.  Sureshot has advised Phil it's a dodgy batch that slipped through at the factory but I'd be concerned that given how bad they are this isn't a one off and the next lot might look better but still have nasty things lurking.  

If Phil gets a replacement 16mm and it shoots 'god like' then I'd probably be happy to go with a replacement but until then I'd always have nagging doubts, and nagging doubts cost you targets even if they're unfounded.

Only going by what phil says Monty . he seems happy to return the barrels for replacement . i don't think matt wants any more bad publicity . that would follow from yet more dodgy barrels . if it does come to getting money back . i think i will get a full length HW 100 barrel . very happy with the carbine one on the wifes steyr . see what happens ??? HOLLY 

PS as said there is nothing wrong with the barrel on my steyr . just looking for that bit extra ?

PSS HW make there own barrel in house . 

Edited by holly

Looks like there has been progress on both the 16mm and 15mm Aeron barrels, extensive lapping with cast lead plugs and diamond paste seems to get them on song.  But, they're expensive for what they are and need a level of skill and effort beyond most of us to get them shooting anything other than really badly, certainly that is the case with the 16mm.  For the money I think it's fair to say you could do far better. 

Doesn't look like there is currently an appetite for the UK seller to take them back either which is a bit disappointing especially given some of the claims they're reported to have made about them.

I did say this to phil Monty some while back . they are all men of honour until money comes into it . then ohh sorry is it . hard luck then , needless to say i shall do no more business with this gent ??? HOLLY

Yep, when everything is going well and you're selling decent kit at a decent price and it's all arriving on time everyone gets excited and says what a good chap you are.  That's just doing business to my mind, a good supplier only stands out when something goes wrong and they resolve it quickly and with as little pain as possible for the customer. 

A bad supplier stands out even more.

There's still time for the right thing to happen though Holly

Not for me Monty . had there chance . will buy nothing else from them . phil is gonna see what he can do with mine . good fella him ??? HOLLY

Phil is good, he will get it shooting OK but the barrels are completely useless as supplied, takes much effort and knowledge to rescue them.  If you had taken it to someone that charges by the hour you'd be a few hundred quid worse off by now plus the £130 for the barrel itself.  I know you always take a bit of a risk with a barrel, some are better than others, but the 16mm Aeron ones should never have made it out of the factory.  If you rod a pellet down them the groves are so bad it sounds like there's a bumble bee inside.

The fact there is debate about them being 'good' says quite a lot about the seller so I'm with you Holly.  If anyone asks for an opinion on the quality of service from the seller at our respective clubs I don't think it'll help his business   :) 

I bet the comics would give them a raving review 

30 minutes ago, springboy said:

I bet the comics would give them a raving review 

Probably will be in next months issue along with a full page advert for them :) Gonna need a way to shift that pallet load of them sat in the warehouse.

Shame cos i was really looking forward to trying a really good barrel ??? HOLLY

Looks like the Aeron barrels have now been removed from the Sureshot website, which is not a bad thing.

Shame . bit late now thought monty . like shutting the gate after the horse has bolted ??? HOLLY

Yes, a bit late but it does suggest that there is at least some recognition that they are rubbish.  There are quite a few threads knocking around on various forums regarding these barrels so anyone Googling for reviews should find information quickly and know to stay well clear of Aeron barrels and probably anything that purports to be from 'the same factory that supplies CZ'.  If it doesn't come with a CZ sticker on it in CZ packaging from an authorised CZ reseller then you takes your chances.

Doesn't help those that have parted with their quids though. :( 

Yes Monty . and far too many quids as well . on the assurance that these were above average barrels ??? HOLLY 

PS lesson learnt . nothing more bought from this gent .