OK first outing of the SteyWhei . with Adolf the barrel on board . half Steyr , Half HW 100 .  so how did it go you ask . Hmmm as colin would say . not really sure  

Conditions windy , with wind coming from left to right and right to left in no particular order . never had a steady wind all day . 

started the day using AAs 8.4  doing 780 approx ,  shooting off the bench . zeroed at 35 yards . all gro ,ups done at 50 and 55 yards .  in the wind present no consistent groups were evident . 90 % of stringing was level . 

1/ the barrel does not like to shoot clean ( is it the legendary barrel that should never be cleaned ) 

2/ it seems to like JSBs more than AAs 

3/ it shot better as the day went on .

4/ strange this . it shoots better on knock down targets than paper . i did 8 targets and got all of them in a very tricky wind .

5/ sunday , no clean barrel . try snipers  8.5 and JSBs 4.51 ( thanks to Neil ) running all at 780 fps . 

The jury is out gents . i suppose there are no free lunches .

HOLLY

Edited by holly

That’s one clever barrel. It can tell the difference between knockdown targets and paper targets 😂😂

Well funny you should say that . i had a GC2 a while back at springfield . it would not group well .  but it hardly ever missed a metal target . i went over to wendover for one of there central winter league shoots . bitterly cold . snowing . only dropped three . top score on the day ( did not count ) . i think what that shows is that the old saying is right . windage wins . not groups ??? HOLLY

Arranged to borrow a screw on silencer to try on the rifle sunday . as a old Shutz i had shot a lot lot better with one on ??? HOLLY

We have to depend on groups to to tell us how good a rifle/pellets/ scope/reg is . at least off the bench in good conditions . today would have been perfect . ah well fingers crossed for sunday .got some 451 AA . 4.52  JSBs .4.52 snipers to try sunday . plus will try unscrewing the muzzle brake gradually to see if that will alter in anyway the way the rifle shoots . i find that on occasions by putting washers behind the screw on brake . the added weight can alter the barrel vibrations . sort of a crude version on Jons one ??? HOLLY

well no silencer i am afraid to try , shame . maybe later . so barrel as was , no clean . snipers in 7.9 and 8.5  . 4.52 air arms and 4.51 air arms . and 4.52 JSBs . We Are Ready ??? HOLLY

Well the rifle/barrel performed well again to day . tried three different pellets in it and after much testing the AAs  came out on top . the barrel has not been cleaned in around two tins of pellets . seems to be ok as such . will keep on shooting it till it starts to go down hill and then clean it . it does NOT like the pellets seated . spat em all over the place .just lightly place them in the breech . only snag is now the forend with the shorter barrel is lighter . the rifle flips more . gonna need a bit more weight on it . . so  two more pellets to try in the week and the wife will be ready for the coming summer ??? HOLLY

Now you have found a barrel which works leave it on there and DO not change it. 

Yes Keith shot well for a light rifle .  the plan is to sell the steyr barrel that came off it and buy a quick fill barrel or get mick tromans to fit one my cylinder ??? HOLLY

PS that is not the barrel that goes on my rifle . i like a longer barrel 

Right work to do tomorrow . two rifles out . one the shutz . zero for sunday . and the wifes sreyr . testing exact 7.9s at 810 fps , and sniper mediums .  8.5  at 780 fps . should be good . but will it be perrrrrfect . ??? HOLLY 

PS weight added to the front of the sateyr to see if it can control the flip 

OK shutz  sorted today for the weekend . ran through all the pellets with the steyr / HW100 .7.9s  nope . exacts nope . AAs 4.51 good . AA 4.52 slightly better . surprise of the day was the snipers . even running 30 FPS down on the AAs  it was grouping slightly better , with good wind . worth more time on those for sure . what was strange was when i tried loosening the screw on muzzle brake . i shot slightly better still . weird  . tried it with a BSA break and that shot well . more to come from this rifle i think ??? HOLLY

Are the snipers straight from the tin or sized or whatever?

Colin and neil size there pellets . i don't . snipers are slightly bigger than the breech  on the HW100 barrel . least the way mick tromans has cut it . so i had to push it in and then use my thumb nail to get it square . not good as it leaves dents in the rim . grandad made me a pellet seater . so next week i will try that to seat em square in the bore . as far as i can see that should size em . what is surprising is the fact after using so many different pellet types plus the various lube that is on some of em . that a/ it is still accurate and B/ does not need cleaning . my shutz would throw a wobbler if you went from snipers to AAs without cleaning the barrel . ??? HOLLY

I will weigh pellets  Andy but that is my lot . sizing to me is done as the pellet enters the barrel . well i am gonna have to use the Steyr this sunday cos the shutz today was playing up again .it would shoot on target , then the next shot would go low . i thought at first it was me ? ( what a ridiculous thought )  but when i checked , no it was the rifle . should be a laugh sunday as there is no way i can shoot a normal rifle . hey ho and on we go ??? HOLLY

Well things are moving on with the Barrel saga and phil say's he hopes to have a barrel for me to try on the steyr .??? HOLLY

On 15/02/2018 at 10:06 PM, holly said:

Well funny you should say that . i had a GC2 a while back at springfield . it would not group well .  but it hardly ever missed a metal target . i went over to wendover for one of there central winter league shoots . bitterly cold . snowing . only dropped three . top score on the day ( did not count ) . i think what that shows is that the old saying is right . windage wins . not groups ??? HOLLY

Got a LW match barrel for you to play with in the car. :)

Yes cheers Rob . never had a really good wathar lothar barrel . but i know there are some good ones out there . why cos the lad at the club who bought a bog standard  FTP blind secondhand from gunstar . has the best grouping rifle i have ever shot . superb ??? HOLLY

PS gonna run some test barrels for the chap as well . should be interesting 

If its one of the batch ex PAX off eBay I have one (got two actually) that is looking pretty decent.

Interestingly I machined and fitted it at full length, shot it, then cut at 400mm to fit in my shrouded Steyr, shot, then machined and shot the remaining 200mm piece, no choke, results...all shot well :0

Howdo Mr Moore . i have no idea where phil gets em from . i like a long barrel . probably since i come from a earlier time when long barrels were the norm . probably because the cylinders were long because the rifles were not as good with air as they are today . i find the longer barrels seem , at least to me to be better in the wind . certainly with lighter pellets that i came up using . EG 7.9 prems .  as said i have been impressed with the HW barrel off a 100 . it is the only barrel i posses . that shoots snipers and my fave pellet , AAs 8.4 . 4.52s  and does not needs cleaning when switching between pellets . i think the oil on the snipers upsets the AAs . which seem to like being shot dry washed . but as said the whole point of changing barrels was to try a new CZ barrel . still i dare say we will get there in the end ??? HOLLY

OK new barrel fitted . is this the one . good looking barrel . gun metal in colour . long as i like em and heavy , nice . i never normally wish my life away . but roll on wednesday so we can give this bad boy the business . ??? HOLLY

ON the HW barrel it was everything i could have wished for . if i had pointed it in th right direction a bit more i would have got over the 30 mark .. i wanted to try the snipers in it wednesday but i have another barrel to asses . so that will have to wait . gonna be very cold , windy with some snow showers it says . so just the right conditions to test it out . this is not very scientific i know but one of the ways i judge a barrel apart from groups is the way it sounds and the noise of the pellets hitting the plate as you fire . probably cos i come from full bore . no silencers on my rifles ??? HOLLY

Well as said new barrel fitted and ready to go . BUT the beast from the east had other ideas . after sitting at the bench for ten mins my fingers started to get frostbite . so that was that . only thing i noticed was there was less muzzle flip than usual . about it really . see how it is tomorrow ??? HOLLY

well not all bad then . tomorrow heavy snow , saturday rain to wash it all away . sunday cloudy and breezy . so we can get rolling with the barrel testing again . about 8 dregrees . positively hot ??? HOLLY

The for cast is for heavy rain tomorrow  to clear all this white muck away here . some showers sunday . so hope fully i can get some barrel time ??? HOLLY

Come on Holly, you need to post some pictures of these magnificent groups so we can look on in awe :) 

It would be useful for us to see the different groups from various states of Phil's tinkering, lots of posts about mega barrels from just about everyone all over the interweb but rarely backed up with pictures.

Wanna put a tin of pellets through it monty before i start to say , yay or nay . then gotta try various pellets and then lube . luckily as i am retired i can shoot quite a bit . so give it a week or so . the steyr when i got it . took three weeks of messing to get it to shoot . i cannot try too much with this barrel cos it is only on approval at this time . it is going to be windy sunday , probably with some rain . so we will see what we can do . but as ever a bad day at the club is better than a good day at work ??? HOLLY

PS talking of pics . i have tried . but it keeps saying you are only allowed 512 KB . i am only trying to put one pic up ? i think .

49 minutes ago, holly said:

PS talking of pics . i have tried . but it keeps saying you are only allowed 512 KB . i am only trying to put one pic up ? i think .

The site is quite restrictive on file size, probably because the server all of this sits on is a physical device in a physical location, but if you select the minimum resolution possible on the phone/camera it might be below the 0.5mb limit. 

Just be interesting to be able to see what you're seeing.

I only have the one camera and how to alter that is beyond a simple soul like my self ??? HOLLY