Well of course today was the Steywalth in action . in otherwords a steyr with a lothar walther barrel . started the day early at around 9 am . wind was light , consistent and right  to left .. started at 35 yards after checking it out on the chrono . just under 780 fps . that is 40 fps quicker than wednesday . when it was way below zero .  grouping was average to start with . but started to come in as the barrel leaded up . at 50 yards it was going around half an inch  for 5 shots . in  the real world that is good enough to win with as long as you point it in the right direction . i took it out onto the course . with just a 50 yard zero , aiming up and down for the closer ones . did three lanes and they all dropped .. the barrel is not pellet fussy . i put AAs . exacts and snipers through it . all grouped , different places but grouped . AAs were top dog . all pellets were dry . lube comes next . so yes i like this barrel and think it will get better after a few tins of pellets run through it . have asked to buy it ??? HOLLY

Right Ok we are ready to test tomorrow as long as the weather holds . HW barrel back on the Wifes steyr . tomorrow is lube day for this barrel . got three types of lube to try . so we will see if it will tighten up the groups / less wind maybe . who knows . suck it and see day ??? HOLLY

PS will try it on AAs and snipers .

weather good , shooting not . either the barrel reached the limit of dirtyness it could handle . or the oil , pellets . cleaning pieces i shot through it upset it . dunno . also it was very windy . one and a half mil dots at 55 yards . that is about 4 or 5 inches of wind . anyway barrel cleaned again . so tomorrow we start afresh . check the numbers ready to hand back the wifes shooting machine . ??? HOLLY

Tomorrow i will try another hold for standers . apply some tension to the left hand . seemed to work today . ??? HOLLY

PS clean barrel . dry pellets . stick with what i know works . see how long it takes for the barrel to come back in from clean . gonna be even more windy tomorrow .

Now we are cooking on gas . oh yes . 9015 owners . Pah . stand aside i am coming through  :f2: . good day to day . after cleaning last night it came back in after around 50 shots and was as good as gold . worked on the standers with the new hold . found out , at least i think i have found out . that it is not the hold as such but the way it forces me to use the tip of the finger on the trigger . this gives me i think quicker reaction times to my ambush style of shooting standers . . my test of my standers is on our zero range . we have a target at . 20 , 22 ,25 , 30 , 35 , 37 and 40 yards . if i can get em at one go . i am a happy chappy . ( bit like nat's with  a bottle of red wine . yehawwwww )  and today for the first time in ages . they fell . yes sireee they all fell over . oh yes and before Groucher comes up and say's did they fall over through old age  :doh:  no dave , they all died young :soj: ??? HOLLY 

PS only one thing to say now ,Yep . Let Her Ripppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

So what barrel have you settled on? The LW?

Not settled on any of them at the mo Steve . the HW barrel ( carbine ) i bought on spec ( £60 ) had it machined and fitted it to the wifes steyr . at first after giving it a good clean . i did not think much of it . took over 50 shots to get it to shoot properly . as it went along it got better . to the point i find i want to shoot it . it is not more accurate than the steyr barrel that came off of the rifle . but out at range it takes a more considered wind . up against a good steyr at the club today on a 50 yard target i could stay inside the plate and he was two inches further out to hit the kill . so that stays on the wifes rifle . i tried the match walther loather barrel on the wifes rifle and i like that too .  very accurate ( still running in . brand new )   and  for the 400 odd pellets i put through it , good wind too . i would put that up against bazzas 9015 .  ( which by the way , he says is really starting to shoot well now ) that is the one i shall try on the GC pup . the Aeron CZ barrel phil says is doing well in tests . so i may well get that to play with shortly . so the HW barrel goes on the wifes steyr . my good lupe goes on that as a back up and either the CZ barrel or the walther barrel goes on the pup , ??? HOLLY

The way i see this , is you may not need a new rifle to get the accuracy you want from a rifle . all you may need if other things are correct . it may be only a new barrel . the steyr with the hunter wood work  . to me is cheaper than the full FT rifle , is  lighter . better balanced and a better fit for FT . add the barrel of your choice and you are in business . that should be doable for less than a grand secondhand .  if you can find a good 20=50 ? at or around the £600 mark . you have a rifle capable of winning anything you enter . IF you are good enough .??? HOLLY :)

PS that is one hell of a saving on a 9015 and a march .:thumb:

Well it looks like the CZ barrel may be coming back to me , so i will see how that goes . i am looking for a walnut hunter style wood work for the wifes steyr as with me shooting it . well i look a bit of a tart . and i don't want to end up looking like old groucher . you know , errr well washed up so to speak ??? HOLLY

PS that is according to Syco  anyway . 

Well the Steywei . shot well today . holding Bazza to a draw on our course . will be using it Sunday . god help us on the side of the Newbury hill in the cold wind ??? HOLLY

If it does not snow tomorrow i will have a go at setting up the wifes steyr . ??? HOLLY

Yep even the dog did not want to out in it ??? HOLLY

OK out we go tomorrow to shoot the wifes steyr . . best lupe on top . no new wood work yet . . thank god the weather is better . was starting to get stir crazy ??? HOLLY

Back playing up today .must be all the canoodling i have been doing ( he lied ) OK well i was shooting the wifes stery with a clean barrel . just to see if it had gotten better on that front . nope . accuracy down . windage greater . was not untill towards the emd of the day's shooting that things started to get back to normal . so i will leave that well alone in future . apart from that good . new wood work gets here next week . so i won't have to look like a honky tonk when shooting it . if you are looking fdor some nice wood at not silly prices and muzzle brakes ( twin cone )  have a look at Jon Horwood on face book . decent fella , very sexy wood work . will try to get a pic up when it gets here ??? HOLLY

Just had a look very nice kit. The brakes look very similar to the Pro Target one,nice a slim 

Considering  they are low volume  custom made at £ 50 or £ 55 in various colours . they are pretty good . gonna have one in  polished alloy . for the  LW barrel . which is over size . at 16.15 mm . so i cannot get one off the shelf ??? HOLLY

New wood work for the wifes steyr should arrive tomorrow , fingers crossed . . gonna rain in the morning so i don't know if i will be able to get out to shoot . if so i will try some of the barracudas in the HW100 barrel ??? HOLLY

OK first time out for the missus rifle in it's new wood work  . certainly looks the part  . will it improve the handling ? we will see as long as it does not pee down . starting to go rusty ??? HOLLY

Nice day for a change . light but flukey wind . pretty good groups out to 45 yards , but hard after that to get a good consistent group . took the wife's steyr on the course  and it only misses a couple . we have a target called the beast in the west . never got it up till now with the strong winds . whacked that down three times on the trot . . some of the targets have got a bot of rust on em from the rain and needed two or even three hits to get em down . some maintainence needed methinks ??? HOLLY

PS there is nothing so finicky as a FT rifle . i had put a windicator into the front  barrel support on the steyr . blow me down the thing did not like it . took it out , no probs .