holly

The T16 Sterling Arms

For those who love to talk airguns and see air guns , on you you tube . you can see tony belas and the fella from black pool air rifles . talking about sterling arms new rifles and also chin wagging about the airgun industry . the one i like is the T16 . twin opposed piston springer . put that in a nice stock and that is i think a winner ??? HOLLY

PS Not cheap though .

Looks very interesting. Have some spare room in the cabinet.

Given it's 'recoilless' I don't think it qualifies for the BFTA piston class, you'd have to shoot PCP class (which until recently was always called recoilless).  Nice idea and probably fun to shoot but not sure it would win comps in PCP??

The price seems to be a bit high at £ 1400 . but nothing is cheap now except me i think . but if one came up secondhand . maybe . specially if it would fit into a pup stock . PCPs  have ruled the roost for too long i think . i really good quality recoiless springer could put the cat amongst the pigeons ( unless stan was shooting it )  the whiscombes were very accurate . but the time and energy it took to cock it was too much for comp work really . is this the one that could change all that . no bottles to fill . all depends on the quality and the designer . who i am told is a bit odd . we will see . what i won't believe is the comics ??? HOLLY 

PS send it over to me mr belas .

12 minutes ago, Monty said:

Given it's 'recoilless' I don't think it qualifies for the BFTA piston class, you'd have to shoot PCP class (which until recently was always called recoilless).  Nice idea and probably fun to shoot but not sure it would win comps in PCP??

The whiscombe was good enough to win comps Monty . what stopped a lot using it was the time and effort to cock it ??? HOLLY

4 minutes ago, holly said:

The whiscombe was good enough to win comps Monty . what stopped a lot using it was the time and effort to cock it ??? HOLLY

And I believe it was the Whiscombe, along with the SR,  that caused the classes to be redefined as recoiling and recoilless?  Good rifles to be sure, but against a top flight modern PCP??  The last time a Whiscombe was used in anger PCP's were not what they are now.

True monty but that was then . a good while back . new ideas light weight materials like the carbon fibre cocking arm . could make all the difference . after all what have they got to beat . a welsh geezer and a antique EV2 ??? HOLLY

PS tony recons a weight of seven and a half pounds all up when done .

Edited by holly

I think a fully recoilless springer is the holy grail as far as gun makers are concerned. Or a single stroke pneumatic anything that is self contained sparks up a bit of interest. Tony said that it runs on 2 opposed pistons but powered by one gas ram. 

2 hours ago, Monty said:

I think as long as it’s got a piston it can shoot in piston class. Even whiscomes can. Brian Sampson put a post up about it a little while back 

Stan all they have to ask is ? IS IT SPRING POWERED . not what piston it has . this sort of thing is holding it back . if they had said that to the motor trade you would never have got wankel engines and such . come on let the juices flow . is it powered by a spring ? yes then let us have it . the spring is what gives the rifle life . but it does not have to jump out of you hand when you shoot it . let us see how far it could go ??? HOLLY

I should have pointed out that at the mo it is powered by a gas ram ??? HOLLY

I think Stan might be right about the piston class.  Be interesting to see if it ever comes out, it might have this or that, 3 choices of UK made barrels with microgrooves (thankfully not a special Aeron CZ version for Holly where the micro grooves go the wrong way- concentric rather than along), anti bear trap on production ones, recoil is balanced for a pellet, carbon fibre stuff, unsure about stocks.  Didn't seem very finalised plus it had the whiff of Daystate style marketing :) 

It should be pointed out that Monty's barrel is connected to a tea cup most of the time . only snag is he cannot get the sugar down it ??? HOLLY

5 hours ago, holly said:

The price seems to be a bit high at £ 1400 . but nothing is cheap now except me i think . but if one came up secondhand . maybe . specially if it would fit into a pup stock . PCPs  have ruled the roost for too long i think . i really good quality recoiless springer could put the cat amongst the pigeons ( unless stan was shooting it )  the whiscombes were very accurate . but the time and energy it took to cock it was too much for comp work really . is this the one that could change all that . no bottles to fill . all depends on the quality and the designer . who i am told is a bit odd . we will see . what i won't believe is the comics ??? HOLLY 

PS send it over to me mr belas .

The price is a bit high but he says there’s gonna be a limited run so maybe a bit of an investment? We shall see. The whiscome was around that price if I’m not mistaken,now look at them! Although I can imagine the build quality to be better and the trigger was one of the best around. I think what he needs to do is get a few out there on the circuit and let us see what it can do. 

Yeah £1500 quid bought you a whiscombe . but that was hand made . personally i would like to see it spring powered . that would make it tuneable . i forgot earlier that it was powered by a gas ram .mind you they come now as a sealed unit i believe . so maybe if the rifle is strippable easily. then it might be ok to just put different units in it ??? HOLLY

If it’s totally recoilless then I don’t see the point in tuning it anyway. What benefit are you gonna see? It’s already short stroked so if the gas ram can give you 30-50,000 shots before it needs looking at then that’s got to be a good thing 

I meant tune for power unless you can pump it up . but i still think a spring would be better . something alive in there ??? HOLLY