3AD7F853-80F0-4E2B-8D32-7D3D5D996F50.jpeg

Looks like a cross between a EV2 and a steyr ??? HOLLY

Yes just read it through . sounds good . i really like the idea that you can maintain the rifle your self . put a stop to people charging a £150 for a hour or less work and a set of O rings . rock on tommy ??? HOLLY

I don’t know if they got the price wrong but I saw that it costs 709 rand. That’s about £43 😂😂

In that case stan even you and dave can afford one ??? HOLLY:angry::soj:

7 hours ago, holly said:

In that case stan even you and dave can afford one ??? HOLLY:angry::soj:

:thumb:

12 hours ago, holly said:

Looks like a cross between a EV2 and a steyr ??? HOLLY

I thought it looks like a cross between a Daystate Tsar and a Steyr

On pimp my gun they’ve got accuracy results and looks very impressive. A lot of BR shooters use them in SA. 

If i was daystate , Air Arms And Co . i would be worried . i wonder what they actually sell at . not £40 i would think ??? HOLLY

Posted (edited)

I bet they’re high end of the price range. There’s different specs too,some have the Annie 5065k trigger installed 

Edited by springboy

well Neil does not seem impressed with it ??? HOLLY

Really? When did he have one to review?

That's why he doesn't like them, no told him about it and no one sent him one :doh:

Posted (edited)

something to do with the org behind it is believe ??? HOLLY

Edited by holly

On 03/03/2018 at 3:17 PM, Monty said:

That's why he doesn't like them, no told him about it and no one sent him one :doh:

It is this sort of comment that is one of the reasons I no longer write for the print magazine.

In over 15 years of writing reviews I have been sent exactly TWO rifles and ONE scope. The first rifle was a Daystate MK3 B/C which was doing the rounds of the journo's and which I was asked to take back to Daystate in Leek... at my own expense. The second was much more recently a Steyr LG110 FT which Harry kindly imported and sent to me and which I sent back a month later, again at my own expense. These expenses are not covered by the magazine, they come out of my pocket. The scope was a Swift, the article was never published so I never got paid and I still have the scope, so ONE freebie in 15 years.

All other kit I review is either borrowed or more often bought by me, reviewed and then sold on if I choose not to keep it. Occasionally I am lent a demo model by a distributor, that was the case with the Kahles 1050FT, but had it not performed I would have said so, I made it quite clear in my March 60 mag review that I did not find the scope easy to use.

You are free to disagree with my views of a product when I review it, but don't you DARE accuse me of being influenced by the manufacturers. I take a huge amount of care and pride in putting together concise and accurate reviews, what I write is what I see and NO ONE influences what I say.

The reasons I have not reviewed the ATOM are: There is only one in existence. It is in South Africa. The rifle is not yet commercially available.

If they make it to the UK and if I can borrow or buy one I may test it, but you will have to look in CompAir to see the review.

Posted (edited)

I had no idea that there was only one in existence. When I was reading about it I got the impression that they are being widely used in bench rest comps. 

Edited by springboy

True i have known Neil quite a while now  and he tells it straight from the shoulder .??? HOLLY:thumb:

20 minutes ago, springboy said:

I had no idea that there was only one in existence. When I was reading about it I got the impression that they are being widely used in bench rest comps. 

Look at the post at the bottom of the second page from Mitch. They are still testing the prototype(s).

The reason I am not impressed is that it is not a 'new' rifle, it uses a Steyr reg and air tube, 16mm proprietary barrel, Anschutz, Walther or ATOM trigger group, so only the body, hammer and valving is actually made by ATOM.

I understand the reasoning, especially as SA shooters have to import all their rifles, so taking the best bits from other manufacturers and bolting them all together makes perfect sense... in SA. But it's not a new rifle.

Right, I've said my bit, so other than accepting Monty's apology for slandering me, I'll be off.

To be honest if I was to look at making another rifle then that's the route I'd take and considering Anschutz & Steyr are friends with benefits I'd then look to a deal to slot in with that, carefully profiled not to cause conflict with their current offerings.

The Steyr reg is pretty sweet, it's small, light, works, and when set up right, shuts off fast and doesn't move. The Aluminium cylinders are much lighter than Ti offerings and have a QF option & gauge option as well. Anschutz trigger blocks are off the shelf items and a LW barrel is as well. So stock and block left them. To be honest I'd probably use the Steyr cocking stabiliser as well and then just concentrate on the aspects of most rifles which cause issues in the field with HFT & FT. You could opt for an off the shelf hook as well & other Mec furniture like the pistol grips meaning you're probably narrowing things down considerably. Wouldn't be cheap but it would allow you to look at the things that might make a difference rather than making things different so they might.

Stock looks like it could do with some work. Seems to be following fashion rather than being ahead of the curve.

Since i wanted a new rifle i looked at what was on offer . there was and is nothing that was the complete answer to search . the nearest rifle to it is the Steyr . the two things that put me off were the FT type metal work of what passes for a stock and the barrel . the stock part was easily sorted by putting the hunter type wood work on it . the barrel i have explained  i just don;t trust . so at the mo that looks like it will be replaced with either the WL , the HW100 or possibly the CZ barrel when it comes back . once done i think you have a rifle that can win ??? HOLLY