Jump to content
holly

Scopes , Too Heavy ?

Recommended Posts

Was talking scopes with somebody today and it seems , that if you want really top end range finding  . EG what we call  snap . you need to have a large heavy scope , to get that snap in the same place each time .  personally i  prefer to learn the scope better , so i can predict the difference that hot / cold / bright and dark can make to the ranging . to me a scope too much over a pound in weight is just to much . handling a old lupe 14 =35 by 40 . at the weekend , brought it home to me how much scopes have changed  and not really in some ways for the better ??? HOLLY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The big thing people thikn is they need snap in a scope and if it doesn't do it the scope is no good.  Snap means -swearword- all, it can be the snappiest scope out there but if the snap moves places, unless you know your scope it don't mean a thing.

 

 

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much limited to this on grounds of weight https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle-scopes/vx-3i-lrp-6-5-20x50mm-30mm-side-focus-moa-ffp

More than adequate for 80% of todays courses and rules should see anyone in B+, A-.

 

As they say a little knowledge is dangerous, learn the ropes rather than listen to or read wrong info spread about by those that dont know.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have the comp series , which i tried but did not get on with . having got used to varible mag . that leaves the 20=50 and the 60 mag . as lightish top end scopes . for me at any rate . put a two pound plus scope on top of your rifle and some of the pleasure of shooting FT is lost . for a FT outfit . i think some where around 12 pounds is about right . ??? HOLLY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can have snap and something light that doesn't move except temp and that's the 10-60x52.

Problem sorted.

I'll weigh it later. If you can't make the scope lighter, make the rest lighter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like my march for the summer , as i find mine a bit dark . dunno whether i will use the march or the lupe this year . i like the ret in the lupe . like the nice clear windage dots . i still think premier ret were the best ??? HOLLY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, robF said:

You can have snap and something light that doesn't move except temp and that's the 10-60x52.

Problem sorted.

I'll weigh it later. If you can't make the scope lighter, make the rest lighter.

Yeah but you cant get those custom shops' anymore

Edited by dc1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have got one Dave . any way you must be an expert on big and heavy :thumb: :soj: ??? HOLLY

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it’s always a trade off, I would love my March to weigh the same as a Comp but it don’t. So the trade is weight v fixed mag. Whilst I hardly ever drop below 40x on the March it’s comforting to have the ability. If I had the 40x Comp now I wouldn’t struggle with target acquisition like I used to because I’ve worked hard to get my basic initial posistion right and now find when I look through the scope 9 times out of ten the target is already in my FOV. For me it’s about finding the right scope for you and then being prepared to spend 18 months learning it intimately like the rest of your kit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For Value for money . no two ways about it . the Big Nikko in all it's guises is the one to beat . ??? HOLLY

 

PS yep if i was a young fella . the 80 mag would be the one to have . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Darron said:

I think it’s always a trade off, I would love my March to weigh the same as a Comp but it don’t. So the trade is weight v fixed mag. Whilst I hardly ever drop below 40x on the March it’s comforting to have the ability. If I had the 40x Comp now I wouldn’t struggle with target acquisition like I used to because I’ve worked hard to get my basic initial posistion right and now find when I look through the scope 9 times out of ten the target is already in my FOV. For me it’s about finding the right scope for you and then being prepared to spend 18 months learning it intimately like the rest of your kit.


Darron, as far as I remember the 10-60x52 weighs about 80g more than the Leup comp.

The 8-80 weighs a lot more, which is one of it's downsides in the comparison between the two.

But as you say there's more to it than the scope. It's a component of the package, not the whole package. I pulled 300g off my Walther just by cutting off the bit that never gets used. 

Interesting the thread on stocks for the 9015... one thing to suggest is that manufacturers stop connecting stocks to varying pressure tubes and dispense with supporting something that doesn't need it... and if you feel you need 300g of aluminium to protect it then perhaps you shouldn't be handling it ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, robF said:


Darron, as far as I remember the 10-60x52 weighs about 80g more than the Leup comp.

The 8-80 weighs a lot more, which is one of it's downsides in the comparison between the two.

But as you say there's more to it than the scope. It's a component of the package, not the whole package. I pulled 300g off my Walther just by cutting off the bit that never gets used. 

Interesting the thread on stocks for the 9015... one thing to suggest is that manufacturers stop connecting stocks to varying pressure tubes and dispense with supporting something that doesn't need it... and if you feel you need 300g of aluminium to protect it then perhaps you shouldn't be handling it ;)

 

You make a good point about the air tube. As you know I had my alutec stock made from scratch by Jon it is everything I wanted and more, it’s just -covered in gore- heavy by the time you add woods and rowan etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Old 2002 had the right idea darron . all you needed was the central block that everything hung off . the reg in the block . at the back  the trigger mech and breech as a unit . on the front at the top the barrel . underneath the air tube . you have three inches deep of block to run the barrel through . so no problems with wobble or bending . . everything you want and nothing you don't ??? HOLLY

 

PS the forward barrel support you can ditch .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots are fitting Ti tube. These are only lighter that steel. For the ones we've seen that are for Walthers they're 200g heavier than tubes of the roughly the same capacity (judging from the outside).

I lost 300g by doing as per Holly says, cutting off the parts of the stock my hand never touches and the support which doesn't support anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure i would do it on the Steyr . i don't think there is enough meat at the breech end .on the walther front . i have seen dopper bend his barrel back level . just not enough meat at the breech end . this was a floated ex team walther he had just bought in wales ??? HOLLY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't need to touch the action, just the chassis... you can bend any gun, Steyr dual slot is quite easily distorted by tightening up the bolts unevenly... but the stuff up front does naff all. If you were brave you'd just lop it off.


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No lopping allowed Rob 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×