holly

Winter League V Summer league

I am starting to think that a summer league would be preferable to a winter league . if it did not clash with the GPs  . the way the weather is going . that would leave the winter for club stuff . we at carisbrooke could hold two rounds then easily . ??? HOLLY

Get the club to get the idea to me, we can send it around the region for thoughts.

An open would be nice.

If there is to be no summer league . then one open per club . dates sorted by the commitee . as it stands i know of no opens in central ??? HOLLY 

PS I shall be onto our club sec tonight .

SEFTA are looking at running a 4 round Summer League this year, as well as Opens.

1 hour ago, holly said:

PS I shall be onto our club sec tonight .

Get it onto Cliff, regional comp sec... might be a nice idea.

Posted (edited)

yes included him in the e- mail . rob . he was not against it but said shooters are a bit stuck in the mud . but personally i think the better conditions could  entice more shooters out . SWEFTA get around 50 shooters out . they do a 30 target HFT course and then a FT i think . not sure on that ??? HOLLY 

PS plus for those shooters who do the GPs . the practice in amongst the GPs would be much more relevant ?

Edited by holly

Another alternative would be to just a league . in other words that league would go 360 days of the year . maybe start in march . for selection of the regionals team . two shoots per club . ??? HOLLY

fire it up there hols... AGM next thing on for CSFTA business so...

Put it up to Andy Rob . so hopefully it will get sent through .??? HOLLY 

Andy says he is just waiting for the AGM dates rob ??? HOLLY

Yep we haven't announced that yet. That's this weekend's job.

Fingers crossed rob . the reason the winter league was started was because  . the spring , summer and autum . were full of opens and GPs . you hardly ever got to the club in the summer . but now all i do is three shoots a year from the island . not cos i don't want to . that is all i can get to . three GPs . things change . we have to change with them ??? HOLLY

Well shooter are i hear talking about the idea in Central . it is getting some support from the ground root shooters as well as from the hard core GP types . all up to the AGM ??? HOLLY

The subject has gone out to clubs so it’s down to the shooters to discuss with them. 

Id prefer that the idea was brought to the AGM with a lot of the creases ironed out rather than discussing it then because time is limited. 

Yup good idea , let the man in the street have his say . so it can be beaten out quickly . my suggestion for the regional team is for it to be chosen from the previous years results after consultation with the shooters . with a slight variance . of results picking the top ten . but the last five ( if it is still 15 ) being picked by the team capt . to give some lee way to those who could not do all the rounds . or those who just came into the area , but are shooting really well . my tuppence worth ??? HOLLY

If its any help Millride resurrected the old Summer League in 2013, i won it as an A shooting in AA.

Think this is the 6th year coming up and 9 shoots on the agenda.

Cant recall any opens for decades, every time you try and kick it off it gets slammed shut.

As said Jon , a while back the summer was full of opens and GPs . not any more . so a summer league makes sense ??? HOLLY 

You do get a fair few that would not do the GP's attend, likewise theyre fitted around BFTA events so dont clash.

Last year we had a foreigner from Cromer attend since nothing was on in that region.

Good crack but took three years to get under way.  MFTA didnt think it was worth while but they didnt ask who theyre supposed to serve You and Me. Millride took it on and hosted think 7 shoots and seven totally different courses. When MFTA saw it was viable they took it on for 2014.

Honestly cant remember the last Open i shot, oooh Sywell Open and Ottmoore 80.

Ahh the ottmoor 80 .yep i used to like that one . 40 in the morning .burger and 40 in the after noon ??? HOLLY

Shot the last Ottmoore 80 with Cliffy could have been 2006.

Best one of the lot Sywell 100, think Rob won the last in 2010.

Pity you never shot the Heartford 100 Jon . the original started by Dave Hoare and Dave Monk . at Lea Valley . bitch of a ground for windage . 4 shotgun bowls . top ever score was 96 ex 100 shot by Richard Douglas . on one of em i was leading it  at the end of the first 50 . but the -swearword-s got onto me in the second half and i got third i think it was . gits ??? HOLLY

Agreed,Hertfordshire 100 and Ottmoor 80 were superb shoots .Is it me or did we all seem to enjoy more back in the day  ?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think possibly at the opens Cliffy . a good shot on a good day could win . at the GPs . you need to be a Very Good Shot on a good day . no also rans need apply ??? HOLLY 

Edited by holly

Young Cliffy reckons shooters are warming ( geddit ) to the idea of a Summer league . i do hope so ??? HOLLY

Jon, The Sywell(Shires 100) was last held in 2012 . My first and last .Remember it well.Just started the afternoon session and it absolutely lashed down.  

Jogged my memory that has 2011 for Rob using his newish March 10-60 for the first time in heat, mine was ok.

Recal the year after you mowed the grass in the 3rd section.

Just noticed a Shires 100 trophy 3rd AA for 2010.

Can't remember the year Jon, wasn't the last. It was a nice line though, curved along the bank of doom. Remember it being blimmin' hot and the first time the scope appeared to move... Gilly gave me the confidence on the plink when I was reading just over 50yds for 55. Think I somehow missed 4 AM, then held onto 11 overall in the PM having slept most of the break. Minging headache on the way home, but offset by my first open win.

Liked the comp. 100 was just something different... although knackering.