Sign in to follow this  
DTM

New H&N barracuda FT

Hi Holly thanks for the info, I might try them in the future but I think I will ride this summer out with my JSB Exact 8.44.

Roger

I find the AA 8.4s to slightly better in all my rifles ??? HOLLY

On 4/29/2018 at 4:52 PM, holly said:

I find the AA 8.4s to slightly better in all my rifles ??? HOLLY

Agreed, they seem to be quite soft and adaptable to most barrels.

As said both the 8.4s  and the snipers go well in my old GC2 . and surprisingly , they both shoot to the point of aim ??? HOLLY

PS will try the 8. 0 grain snipers tomorrow .

Posted (edited)

Sounds like you have a real GP killer there, let's hope it lasts and that you don't try another half a dozen barrels on it between now and Springfield...:rofl2:

Edited by Eaton Rifles

You cannot mess with the barrels on a GC2 . you have to change the breech as well . i think they are glued in ??? HOLLY

7 hours ago, holly said:

You cannot mess with the barrels on a GC2 . you have to change the breech as well . i think they are glued in ??? HOLLY

Perfect rifle for you then as you can't launch the barrel without the breech and scope going with it....:rolleyes:

Ahh but are you sure about that col ??? HOLLY

9 minutes ago, holly said:

Ahh but are you sure about that col ??? HOLLY

True, look at Tom I'm pretty sure he lost pretty much most of his rifle, but what a shot!

Unkind on buckets though ??? HOLLY

So were you also using the new 'GP killer' pellets at Springfield, if so then they saw you coming mate....:rofl2:

nope i never got the barrel intended for those on there ( WL match barrel ) just the standar Steyr 110 barrel ??? HOLLY

7 hours ago, holly said:

nope i never got the barrel intended for those on there ( WL match barrel ) just the standar Steyr 110 barrel ??? HOLLY

Well that’s funny as I always thought Steyrs came as standard with  LW barrel, though I must admit my Steyr slipped out of the factory with a specially -rubbish- pure carbon barrel...😳

Not as far as i know . the originals were made by anschutz i  believe . now made by steyr  . hammer forged . ??? HOLLY

1 hour ago, holly said:

Not as far as i know . the originals were made by anschutz i  believe . now made by steyr  . hammer forged . ??? HOLLY

Ah ok makes sense as Anschutz own so much of Steyr.

On 25/04/2018 at 5:21 PM, holly said:

consistent

They're LW. Made for them to a specification from Steyr. That came from a former world champ.

When the LG110 came out they went through about 2 other barrel types before settling on that. My shooting partner had either the first or second one in the country and had barrel issues with the original one which would see a tight group walk an inch at 25 yards before opening up over 50 shots. He had barrels replaced under warranty and was told when they changed manufacturer. Personally I couldn't see a difference and later on the longer barrelled versions seemed to go through a patch with the same problems so I'm not convinced. However looking down the bore with a scope they're as close as one could expect to looking exactly like a LW, just the material is different. 

Makes sense Rob as most manufacturers want to buy off the shelf instead of having the hassle of barrel fabrication.

God knows what my LG110 barrel was as I had the pick of the first dozen in the UK at Harry's house and as is usual with my luck picked the duff one. 

If the Steyr Barrels are made by WL ? why is there a video on you tube of a factory tour of steyr in austria . showing how they make the barrels in the factory ??? HOLLY 

PS Anybody .

4 hours ago, holly said:

If the Steyr Barrels are made by WL ? why is there a video on you tube of a factory tour of steyr in austria . showing how they make the barrels in the factory ??? HOLLY 

PS Anybody .

How old is the video, does it have a gentleman with a silly moustache and lederhosen in the background?

6 hours ago, holly said:

PS Anybody .

Probably because Steyr Mannlicher which the videos are of is a different company from that of Steyr Sport which makes the airguns these days and has been for almost 20 years.

See if you can find one where Steyr Sport manufacture their own barrels.

Posted (edited)

chambers used to stock the LW chromed barrel blanks ( for styers I presume)  I just checked and they are no longer advertised tho

Edited by DTM

As far as i know the steyr Export barrel . no longer made was one of theirs . although some said it was made by anschutz . when they bought it ??? HOLLY

I'm pretty sure there are only a few mass producers of barrels left especially for .177 calibre.

It wouldn't surprise me to find Chinese barrels on some of our rifles, now that's a thought...:rolleyes:

Update:

Been testing the new 4.50 head size batches. I found them to be a much more "barrel friendly" pellet

12 minutes ago, DTM said:

Update:

Been testing the new 4.50 head size batches. I found them to be a much more "barrel friendly" pellet

What brand mate, JSB?

JSB , £7.50 a tin ? big savings ??? HOLLY

3 hours ago, Eaton Rifles said:

What brand mate, JSB?

H&N FT's

22 minutes ago, DTM said:

H&N FT's

Ahh I had a tin of these last year, lightweights if I remember rightly, they didn't like my barrel one bit.

Funny little dimple on the top?

9.57's and no more pimple :)

15 hours ago, DTM said:

9.57's and no more pimple :)

Sounds like a lightweight Baraccuda....:grin: