Sign in to follow this  
DTM

New H&N barracuda FT

Been testing these pellets and am very impressed. Done over 1500 so far in PCP's and springers and in all the guns I have used they take significantly less wind at 55 yds than the JSB 8.44. Maybe I got lucky and  my barrels like them ( FTP, CZ200s, tx200 x3, HW77 x3 & diana48 ). Get a tin as soon as they are released and make your mind own mind up. They are heavier than the jsb but poi is only about 20mm lower at 55 yds, so not too much I reckon.  I think you will be impressed. BTW I am not sponsored by H&N before you ask :)

FT.jpg

Edited by DTM
spelling

Morning . question , were you running em at 736 FPS ? eleven and a half foot pounds ??? HOLLY

PS the old barracudas were 10.06 grains and they took a mile of wind on a blustery day .

Was running em at 735-740fps seems that's where they like to be at

Will certainly try em . just to see if it is the case in my rifles . interesting ??? HOLLY

I wonder if they are gonna be expensive . remember exacts pellets . the ones in a box . they have gone out of sight . one of the basics of FT shooting is practice , practice , practice . if they are dear , very little practice ??? HOLLY

from the little i can find out . they are a gonna do a run of em . i suppose the best way is to get in contact with H&N  and ask to be a tester ??? HOLLY :thumb:

PS then send me some Nat's . but don't give any to Steve ..:soj:

hoping to check this out ??? HOLLY

One thing that does occur to me about these pellets . is that if they are as good as DTM  say's in the wind . with the accuracy to go with it . then it may in future need a pair of digital scales at the chrono . cos if they go well at 735 fps . they will go a lot better at 780 fps . with the amount of pellets that are now out and about . who could look at a pellet and say it is this or that . which brings up another problem . ( Jon will love this ) are digital scales reliable enough to measure correctly the pellets weight .Ohwerrrrrrrrrrrr Mother ??? HOLLY

I think the days of people running a little hot to gain advantage over others are long gone. We are all aware of the laws and the trouble it could cause the shooting community it’s not worth it in my eyes. Plus no one likes a cheat 

True stan BUT this might be too tempting for some . hopefully not ??? HOLLY

OK forgetting human nature for a min . thanks to DTM heads up and neil m . getting some of the PRE PRODUCTION . pellets . i put that in capitals because there may be changes if the feed back is not all positive .  so out of the tin what do i think .  very well made . quite long , elegant looking pellet . darker that the snipers , more lead in em maybe , more of the shuttle cock effect maybe when shot , over my scales they were coming up slightly heavier . no rubber piece to stop damage in transit in the tin . no dirt in the seats and no oil on em , unlike the snipers . so looking good . will give em a run out down the club tomorrow . neil reports over the chrono , that without changing the power . the FTs were doing 736 . will see what the the steyr LW does with em over the chrono and on the range . also will let the boys try em . should be good ??? HOLLY

It would seem to me they are the barracuda match 10.6 but made lighter. 

Used them today in a comp very light breeze but to test them I went dead centre for every target.  I missed standers as I do anyway, one at 48 yds I misranged and hit 12 oclock. Pellet had moved about 1.5 to 2 pellet widths for wind probably. Other 2 I missed were trigger control and I knew I'd missed soon as I pulled it. All in all very pleased with them so far :)

Tried em out at the club today . in my rifle they were very very tight in the breech and seating em was i think damaging em . so not for my rifle . will try em in the wife's  Steyr in the week ??? HOLLY

Had a go with 20 liberated from Holly today.

I tried AA first, which is my usual pellet, to get some 5 shot groups for side to side. These are running at 777fps.

Tried the H&N and these ran at 705fps and in my Ripley dropped about 3" lower for the same dial mark and moved about the same as the AA at 55yds.

Group size about the same but to be honest I think, for me, would need to try them in some stronger wind.

wednesday will see the HW 100 barreled Steyr get fed some . i can easily adjust the power up to 735 with that one ??? HOLLY

Hi, I have been following this thread and been interested in your comments on the pellets. Has anyone done any more testing with them?

I will be trying them out tomorrow (indoors first) with my Anni 9015 and HFT 500.

Cheers Roger

If given the choice i would go with H&Ns snipers in 8.5 . if you rifle likes em . they are very good indeed  . neil mac uses em in his 9015 . only down side is that you have to get em from abroad . but having said that , they are cheaper from them ??? HOLLY